Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

So I am wrapping up the text of this book, while making sure that it all ties into both the new Heroquesting chapters in the GM Sourcebook and into the Hero Wars Campaign. It is increasingly looking like this will be a two-volume book, as it includes the long form of more than 70 cults.

It is perhaps easier to say what the book does not have:

• The Invisible God of the West. This needs its own book, as my notes keep expanding. Additionally, the Invisible God needs to provide a materialist and humanist interpretation of the Gods and Goddess book - and serve as the Sorcery Book. So this one gets pushed into its own book.
  • Godunya and the East. Same deal. 
  • Pamalt and the South. Same deal - I toyed around with including Pamalt in this book, even wrote up his cult. BUT I've concluded that it would make far more sense to include Pamalt and his version of the pantheon in a Pamaltela facing book.
  • Minor gods of purely local importance, such as Pavis, Lanbril, Flintnail, other city gods, etc. These are better placed in their settings.
  • Deities that can be better handled as masks or variant names of other deities, e.g., Elmal, Buserian, etc.

So what is left? Well the book is more than 50% bigger than what was previewed at GenCon and has been pretty intensively revised. Here's the current list of cults that are definitely in it:

1. Kyger Litor
  2. Annilla
  3. Argan Argar
  4. Gorakiki
  5. Xiola Umbar
  6. Zorak Zoran
  7. Magasta
  8. Choralinthor
  9. Dormal
  10. Engizi
  11. Oslira
  12. Ernalda
  13. Aldrya
  14. Asrelia 
  15. Babeester Gor 
  16. Caladra & Aurelion
  17. Donandar
  18. Eiritha
  19. Flamal
  20. The Grain Goddesses
  21. Hykim & Mikyh (includes Telmor and Basmol)
  22. Maran Gor
  23. Mostal
  24. Ty Kora Tek
  25. Uleria
  26. Yelm
  27. Dayzatar
  28. Dendara
  29. Gorgorma
  30. Lodril
  31. Lokarnos
  32. Lowfires
  33. Polaris
  34. Shargash
  35. Yelmalio
  36. Orlanth
  37. Chalana Arroy
  38. Eurmal
  39. Issaries
  40. Lhankor Mhy
  41. Daka Fal
  42. Foundchild
  43. Heler
  44. Humakt
  45. Mastakos
  46. Odayla
  47. Storm Bull
  48. Valind
  49. Waha
  50. Yinkin
  51. Seven Mothers
  52. Danfive Xaron
  53. Deezola
  54. Etyries
  55. Hon-eel
  56. Hwarin Dalthippa
  57. Irrippi Ontor
  58. Jakaleel
  59. Nysalor
  60. Red Goddess
  61. Yanafal Tarnils
  62. Primal Chaos
  63. Bagog
  64. Cacodemon
  65. Crimson Bat
  66. Krarsht
  67. Krjalk
  68. Mallia
  69. Pocharngo
  70. Thanatar
  71. Thed
  72. Vivamort

I am still debating about whether to add Horned Man, Triolina, Subere, Wachaza, and Voria to the list. 

For me this has been comparable to writing the Guide - especially realising how these various groupings of gods overlap, intersect, and form a magical whole. Even in the West, South, and East, these are the deities that form the cosmic foundation (although often with different names and different stories). 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

I am still debating about whether to add Horned Man, Triolina, Subere, Wachaza, and Voria to the list. 

I would like to see Horned Man, Subere, and Voria, but not so sure about Triolina and Wachaza, as they have limited use outside a Seas campaign.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Caladraland & Aurelion

Or Caladra & Aurelion, unless you are including a full writeup of Caladraland as well, which would be great

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 hours ago, Jeff said:

Horned Man seems necessary IMO

Voria itself is short, but adding her would seem to require also adding Asrelia, and Voriof, for the crone, mother, maiden "trinity" and for the boys cult corresponding to the girls one

Can see both pros and cons for the last 3

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

I think Horned Man is a good shout, as a cornerstone of shamanism. The others would probably be better off in specific supplements (e.g. a sea / ships sourcebook, trollpak etc) as they will not be used in most campaigns.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff said:

Deities that can be better handled as masks or variant names of other deities, e.g., Elmal, Buserian, etc.

Wait, what? Buserian is a mask? So he’s Lhankor Mhy?

Edited by RHW
Typo

15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yes. He's the Dara Happan name for him. 

In that case, that's just an aspect of the deity. Really.

And if you need to branch off another deity from the list, why LM and not Irrippi Ontor?

The name (and original function) of the deity is "sacrificer of cows", the priest. Writing comes as an afterthought, and starts with record-keeping (counting) the tax and harvest.

Star-seeing is a special subcult, or possibly hero cult grown big.

But yes, Buserian the scribe or archivist is the mask of Lhankor Mhy the scribe, but not the Lightbringer, and neither the Lawspeaker - that's the province of Yelm alone. Buserian the tallymaster, bull sacrificer etc. has a number of other functions not shared by Lhankor Mhy in Esrolia or the far west.

Much like the flensing knife isn't standard Lhankor Mhy equipment, either, even though taking off the skin of living enemies for magical writing material is a well-beloved custom among the magical scribes of the West.

Makes me wonder why we get Shargash when we have Zorak Zoran.

I recognize the pressure of limited space in a printed product, but I really think that we would fare significantly better if we said "these are distinct deities, but in this list of myths we cannot say whether the one or the other is the original actor." The same myths do of course lead to the same magics, so from a spellbook approach (only) this makes sense. In the "Mythos and History" section, the differences should be pointed out, and limitations of the other ones. Elmal doesn't get Sunspear. Buserian doesn't get Lightbringer associated magics.

The dragonslaying for the waters (Enkoshons, Aroka, Barntar's Daga quest) is a shared myth between Orlanth, Vadrus and Barntar, and while Barntar might be presented as an aspect of Orlanth, Vadrus is harder to place there.

Is Odayla different from Orlanth, Arakang or Rathor, or just the same? IMO both cases are true. Some magic and myth is shared, other parts are unique to a specific aspect and not available to similar entities. The advanced quester or researcher may know how to use or exploit such parallel drifts to switch paths while questing. Some of the standard quests like the LBQ likely have incorporated such sideway switches into their mainstream version.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

20 hours ago, jps said:

This is really big, everything we need to play in the default setting, including Lunars and Chaos cults ^^

It is really big. Somewhere around 350k words. The Guide itself was 460k words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

It is really big. Somewhere around 350k words. The Guide itself was 460k words.

This is just awesome !
But the more you put in, the more we wait ! But the more you put in, the more it'll be good ! But the more we wait, but the more is good, but ... 

You're just torturing us !