Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

I'm surprised by the presence of both Engizi and Oslira. While I'm all about differences, I hadn't realised there was that much difference between the two river cults. This sounds interesting.

Also, given you mentioned excluding gods of purely local importance, I'm even more surprised by the inclusion of Caladra and Aurelion! I didn't realise they were worshipped outside of Caladraland.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tindalos said:

I'm surprised by the presence of both Engizi and Oslira. While I'm all about differences, I hadn't realised there was that much difference between the two river cults. This sounds interesting.

Also, given you mentioned excluding gods of purely local importance, I'm even more surprised by the inclusion of Caladra and Aurelion! I didn't realise they were worshipped outside of Caladraland.

They aren't found outside of Maniria, but they are REALLY important in Caladraland. So much so that that you can't really get the Holy Country without being aware of their cult. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tindalos said:

Given the presence of both, I'm a bit surprised by the absence of Zola Fel, given her Cult has an extant deep writeup (and impact on the player experience) in 'the canon'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

It is really big. Somewhere around 350k words. The Guide itself was 460k words.

I remember that somewhen since the Guide was released you've mentioned, that Gods of Glorantha would be worth another Kickstarter. Seeing these numbers I realize, that this might have been true. But in fact I'm happy you did it without a Kickstarter ... If it just would be available already ... 🤗

Edited by Oracle

On 3/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jeff said:

For me this has been comparable to writing the Guide - especially realising how these various groupings of gods overlap, intersect, and form a magical whole. Even in the West, South, and East, these are the deities that form the cosmic foundation (although often with different names and different stories). 

I have no doubt. With so many perspectives on the same entities and events, and so many practices around them - which do you prioritize in order to give the reader something understandable, entertaining, yet still somewhat deep? It's a massive task, and I look forward to seeing it!

I've had two different groups of new RQG players (no prior RQ experience) look for ways to be a shaman while still taking part in the cults and mythology of Glorantha. So far, I've used Daka Fal's cult as a template for Kolat and Ernalda's cult as a template for Serdrodosa (sp?). I gather that Serdrodosa's more fringe, since it's hard to find information online about her. But Kolat pops up with relative ease.

I see people angling for Horned Man and maybe that's enough of a mechanical and mythological fit for RQG. But Kolat's such an obvious option for Orlanthi who want to become a shaman. 

• Like 2

Please remember that additional cult related books are bound to come out after this initial big burst of cults. If you want every possible cult in a single initial "Gods of Glorantha" offering you would have to wait many years for that. It's far better to get LOTS of cults sooner, rather than ALL the cults much later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 minutes ago, kiryamo said:

So, will there be a specific book for Chaotic Gods -something like a update of CULTS OF TERROR-, or all the information about them will be included exclusively in GODS OF GLORANTHA?

I suggest folk look at the list of cults I already posted.

The cults included are those necessary to tell what I think needs to be told. This is not intended to be every possible cult - but it is a big list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julian Lord said:

but still, including Voria would ordinarily require Voriof too

I don't think in the same way. The earth goddess triads, very much including Voria, are very prominent in the Earth pantheon mythos.  But Voriof does not have an important place in the Earth pantheon: he is more the young shepherd. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I suggest folk look at the list of cults I already posted.

The cults included are those necessary to tell what I think needs to be told. This is not intended to be every possible cult - but it is a big list.

Yes, precisely because I have seen several gods of chaos on the list I have asked the question.

And I asked, too, because in the book list that Jason Durall announced in The Kraken 2018 was included, according to The Runebloger, one with the provisional title of Gods of Chaos, along with God of Glorantha.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kiryamo said:

And I asked, too, because in the book list that Jason Durall announced in The Kraken 2018 was included, according to The Runebloger, one with the provisional title of Gods of Chaos, along with God of Glorantha.

That was back when they thought that Gods of Glorantha would fit into a single book. Those times are gone...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Has a final decision been made as to whether this will be 2 volumes, or 1?

If it's 2, will it simply be a 2-vol "set" or will it be 2 semi-independent volumes, each separately relevant?

And if 2 separate volumes... how will you choose which cults go into which volume (I mean, some of this I can see obvious criteria; others not so much!).

Thanks for all the info you've been sharing, btw!  It's very much appreciated!

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, kiryamo said:

Yes, precisely because I have seen several gods of chaos on the list I have asked the question.

Initially that was what I thought I would do as well. But I started to put together the Heroquesting material, I realised I needed to have all the "core cults" in one collection. Otherwise it was just making more work.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Initially that was what I thought I would do as well. But I started to put together the Heroquesting material, I realised I needed to have all the "core cults" in one collection. Otherwise it was just making more work.

good call, also helps dilute the 'good guys gods v the bad guys gods' you can get with separate books.

40 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Understood, thanks.

34 minutes ago, Psullie said:

good call, also helps dilute the 'good guys gods v the bad guys gods' you can get with separate books.

Thats very, very true.

Therefore, we can conclude that Chaosium has (wisely) chosen a Lunar-flavor theological approach...🌓

In the words of immortal Queen:

”It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future
Hear the cry of youth (hear the cry of youth) (hear the cry of youth)
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all and I want it now”

I guess it is not the cry of youth so much...

The list is great, add some pictures and let’s get it to printer 🙂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I don't think in the same way. The earth goddess triads, very much including Voria, are very prominent in the Earth pantheon mythos.  But Voriof does not have an important place in the Earth pantheon: he is more the young shepherd. 

That wasn't my point -- and Voriof is Storm, not Earth, and so has nothing much to do with those triads -- my point was that if you have Voria, the cult for girls, you need Voriof, the cult for boys.

• Like 2