Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Voriof is as much or as little an earth god as are Varnaval, the Praxian Founders or Waha. (And look where the Good Shepherd is listed in Nomad Gods... good or goof job making your point, Joerg.) Barntar has mostly earth related feats, except for his dragon fighting inheritance of the Aroka myth. Voriof has herd related feats, which is Earth at least once removed.

By ancestry, Orlanth is mostly an earth god, too. He has but one grandmother (Gata) and two grandfathers (Larnste and Aether, who himself is a child of Earth). That's five eighths Earth. Any children of his from Ernalda are going to be even more earth tribe, and bastards of his like Vinkgot are still around 50% Earth by ancestry.

You know, I'm pretty sure that gods and genetics don't mix very well :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, svensson said:

Given the quality of of the new product [RQG], I have no issue with that at all. I'm gonna buy the book in hopes that there's new or updated information within.

I will note, however, that Harn has a big following and has been very successful in its loose-leaf format. Further, from a strictly referee standpoint, it's much easier to organize information loose-leaf. But that could just be my old pen-and-paper thinking.

On that note, there has to be some kind of balance to be struck in the Glorantha wiki between the current 'buy this out-of-print product, page xx' and wiki entries that offer substantive information in the entries but still encourage product sales.

SIDE QUESTION

These stupid line-throughs keep appearing in my posts. Other than erasing the entire post and starting over, I can't seem to get the damned this to stop appearing at random intervals. Anyone have any ideas about this, or is it just me?

31 minutes ago, svensson said:

You know, I'm pretty sure that gods and genetics don't mix very well :)

You know, I was arguing from an atomistic approach. Runic inheritance. LaMarckian rules.

The tribal elemental magic works on such inheritance lines, but at times it appears as if a new Elemental Ruler overwrites the previous atom.

Orlanth's maternal lineage plays a major role in his relationship to his half-siblings by his mother - Inora, Quivin, Tara/Velhara, and of course Yinkin.

44 minutes ago, svensson said:

SIDE QUESTION

These stupid line-throughs keep appearing in my posts. Other than erasing the entire post and starting over, I can't seem to get the damned this to stop appearing at random intervals. Anyone have any ideas about this, or is it just me?

I guess you inadvertently activated the Strikethrough format offered in the online editor, either through a key combination or a key misinterpreted as some form of tag.

Possible workaround if the formatting cannot be undone via the edit window: copy the entire text, paste it into an external editor as unformatted text, then paste it into the forum editor.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think there's a case to be made that Voria, Ernalda, and Asrelia are all subcults of one overarching cult worshipping all three, with a progression from one to another in the same style as Aldrya.

That's an interesting thought.

I might put it at some remove from normal cult practices, a gnostic-style "inner secret" or similar ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, g33k said:

That's an interesting thought.

I might put it at some remove from normal cult practices, a gnostic-style "inner secret" or similar ...

I think all gameplay rulebooks are sort of written from a god-learner-y perspective, necessarily.  

23 minutes ago, styopa said:

I think all gameplay rulebooks are sort of written from a god-learner-y perspective, necessarily.  

Yeah, but I mean an inner-secrets-Illumination sort of thing.  Like, almost everyone knows Orlanth has Rex/Thundrous/Adventurous but not everyone (not even every Priestess) knows the Goddess Truth.  The God-Learners thought they understood when they pulled the Goddess-Switch, but they were (catastrophically) wrong...

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Very exciting news! Is there any word about when this gem might become available for purchase? 

A while, yet.  One fan here says they saw a FB post indicating the ms. was mostly complete, but that leaves a LOT of time still needed to get art, do layout, etc (Chaosium isn't really doing the "well, this bit of art is meh, but it fills the space, so good enough" bit); and no indication as to whether they planned to 2nd-draft the ms. or otherwise put the thing through revision-cycles.

In other words, "a while, yet."

C'es ne pas un .sig

32 minutes ago, g33k said:

A while, yet.  One fan here says they saw a FB post indicating the ms. was mostly complete, but that leaves a LOT of time still needed to get art, do layout, etc (Chaosium isn't really doing the "well, this bit of art is meh, but it fills the space, so good enough" bit); and no indication as to whether they planned to 2nd-draft the ms. or otherwise put the thing through revision-cycles.

In other words, "a while, yet."

Clearly, they need to invoke one of Lhankor Mhy's feats...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think all of those God's would be excellent. More Shaman references would be great, and I would love to see how Subere looks compares to all the house rules out there. 

Edit: Will there be an Arkat cult coming out at some point? 

Edited by gochie
  • Like 1

Given that the 2017 Gen Con version of RQG seems to me to have been further along than this currently is, and that was a whole year before the final product came out, I would be surprised if we saw this available in PDF this year. Then again the rule book was probably more complex, more moving parts to debug.

26 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Given that the 2017 Gen Con version of RQG seems to me to have been further along than this currently is, and that was a whole year before the final product came out, I would be surprised if we saw this available in PDF this year. Then again the rule book was probably more complex, more moving parts to debug.

IIRC -- and I may NOT be RC'ing -- wasn't there also a revision to the RQG rules out of that GenCon release...?

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, gochie said:

I think all of those God's would be excellent. More Shaman references would be great, and I would love to see how Subere looks compares to all the house rules out there. 

Edit: Will there be an Arkat cult coming out at some point? 

I think Arkati stuff will be covered enough when they get to the West. It'd mostly work like standard Invisible God stuff with Sorcery but with dabbling in other cults and methods, which you can represent by picking up a couple rune points elsewhere. There might be some Arkat cults that are a weird path to Humakt/Zorak Zoran/Primal Darkness stuff, which you can do by just using that cult with appropriate spell choices, maybe a couple tweaks. As for True Arkat Worship, that'll probably only come out in a Ralios book in the GM's Only section.

• Like 2

Apologies for my ignorance (not having read as in-depth as most of you here).

I, too, wondered about Arkat, seeing as he's one of the few gods that cross over so many regions, pantheons, races. And talking of Arkat, will Illumination (rules, etc) be present in the new book?

Is Vinga still going to be treated as merely an aspect of Orlanth, or just another sub-cult?

And lastly, I'm also surprised that elemental shamanic cults don't seem too prominent in the list (and thus, associated cults with some of the bigger names, eg Kolat as an Associated Cult to Orlanth).

7 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Apologies for my ignorance (not having read as in-depth as most of you here).

I, too, wondered about Arkat, seeing as he's one of the few gods that cross over so many regions, pantheons, races. And talking of Arkat, will Illumination (rules, etc) be present in the new book?

Is Vinga still going to be treated as merely an aspect of Orlanth, or just another sub-cult?

And lastly, I'm also surprised that elemental shamanic cults don't seem too prominent in the list (and thus, associated cults with some of the bigger names, eg Kolat as an Associated Cult to Orlanth).

Arkat is not likely to make his appearance in Gods and Goddesses, but don't worry - we've got Black Arkat making an appearance soon. Illumination is all over the Gods and Goddesses book.

Vinga is a sub-cult of Orlanth. 

Kolat, Earth Witch, etc., appear in the Horned God.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...