Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

2 minutes ago, Joerg said:

No problem there. You don't have to approach either via Change/Mobility or Stasis, there is Storm for Orlanth, and Truth for LM, and you can be strong in both.

Truth seems like the vastly more important rune here (given that a second rune association could be changed without much of anything happening...).

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

No problem there. You don't have to approach either via Change/Mobility or Stasis, there is Storm for Orlanth, and Truth for LM, and you can be strong in both.

Apparently, not even great Lhankor Mhy himself can clearly say whether his father is Acos or the Cosmic Mountain.

I was actually being a little facetious... 

My Glorantha would be Truth and Law... But I don't see either as unbending and immutable. (Strange position, I.know!!)

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

So, you can't be a good little Orlanthi *and* Lhankor Mhy.... 

You can't be the Perfect Orlanthi and Perfect Lhankor Mhy - but then again the god of Scribes isn't going to be the same as the god of Storm, Kings, and Warriors.

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

You can't be the Perfect Orlanthi and Perfect Lhankor Mhy - but then again the god of Scribes isn't going to be the same as the god of Storm, Kings, and Warriors.

Sword Sages are two Sagey for Orlanthi and two Swordsy for Lhankor Mhy, so operate in that sweet spot of uncomfortability especially designed for PCs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Perfection is the foe of adequate.

Just like @soltakss I think that there is a space for a wild sage or a sword sage overlapping with a Destor explorer, a warleader, or even the prince of a federation. Read up on Kong Sverre of Norway, the guy who created the Birkebeiner hero path that nowadays serves as a long distance skiing race.

And in the end, the adventurer remains a human, even if he manages to attain rune level. And should he move into demigod or ascension territory, then he'll have to depart from the well-trodden paths of his deity anyway.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The "sword sage" is a fighting LM path.

Is there a canonical Orlanthi loremaster, as well?

Then there is just straight-up dual-Initiating  O+LM  and advancing both... Prob'ly needing to HQ some sort of non-standard dual Rune-Level advancement.

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

Perfection is the foe of adequate.

Just like @soltakss I think that there is a space for a wild sage or a sword sage overlapping with a Destor explorer, a warleader, or even the prince of a federation. Read up on Kong Sverre of Norway, the guy who created the Birkebeiner hero path that nowadays serves as a long distance skiing race.

And in the end, the adventurer remains a human, even if he manages to attain rune level. And should he move into demigod or ascension territory, then he'll have to depart from the well-trodden paths of his deity anyway.

Let's use Adventurous and not the names of sub-cults that haven't appeared in print in the better part of a decade (and are unlikely to ever appear again). 

Orlanth causes change and movement, he is a restless god that regularly upsets the status quo - even his own status quo; Lhankor Mhy seeks preservation and stability, he is often claimed to be a son of Acos or even Mostal. That tension between Movement and Stability is continually present.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Orlanth causes change and movement, he is a restless god that regularly upsets the status quo - even his own status quo; Lhankor Mhy seeks preservation and stability, he is often claimed to be a son of Acos or even Mostal. That tension between Movement and Stability is continually present.

Yet Orlanth's mood can swing as far as to make his adherents stick-in-the-mud traditionalists resisting magical changes beyond any reason.

Some of the fiercest foes of both EWF and the Zistorites were change-hating Orlanthi heroes. "Sure we support change, but this change is not from here..."

Sartar had an uphill struggle introducing his concept of city confederations to the Quvini, and in case of the Colymar, he failed.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

48 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

So no more Likstrandros List then?

I don't think Jeff's comment negates either the Likstrandros List nor Destor Pass included there.  There are lots of local names, and those get translated into geography, but doesn't mean they need to be spelled out as a specialized subcult (ala Thunder Rebels).

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 2:55 PM, Jeff said:

I'm afraid that it is the reverse. LM had Law in HQ because we pulled sorcery off the Law Rune under the HQ rules. Since we don't do that in RQG, LM can return to being Truth and Stasis. 

No quite! As @soltakss correctly said above:

RQ2 used Truth and Stasis, RQ3 used Truth and Law, RQG seems to have gone back to RQ2 for this.

For instance, in River of Cradles (1992) the RQIII long version of the "Lankhor Mhy: The Grey Sages" cult already got Truth & Law.

Edited by Christoph Kohring
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, Joerg said:

From a strict rules point of view - all of LMs Rune magic uses Truth. In the RQG rules, there is literally no Stasis Rune Magic at all for any cult - and I'm not really aware of any other Stasis magic except for the Mostali (counting Flintnail as Mostali) for RQG OR HQG, though there is probably something I've overlooked. It is the little Rune that couldn't. 

So a Lhankor Mhy who is bad at the Stasis Rune will enjoy no rules penalties at all really, it won't change their ability to cast their Gods magic in the slightest. Of course the Sages will stroke their beards disapprovingly and talk about how no one so flighty and inconstant will ever be a good sage because they will never properly write the sort of multi-volume study written over decades that shows the worth of a true scholar - but unlike all those other idiot apprentices who tried to make a name for themselves by exploring ancient ruins instead,  and just got eaten by undead or whatever, your PCs intrepid explorations may be successful and recover long lost knowledge or knowledge from strange foreign sources, and so prove their worth as a sage. 

FWIW, I don't think it ever featured in their iconography much. LM is clearly obsessed with Truth, up to their Truth rune shaped buildings (the only other cults who feel the need to reflect their Runes in the shape of their architecture have vastly more sensible squares and domes, IIRC). I've never seen any evidence they care about the stasis connection anywhere near as much. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, davecake said:

In the RQG rules, there is literally no Stasis Rune Magic at all for any cult - and I'm not really aware of any other Stasis magic except for the Mostali (counting Flintnail as Mostali) for RQG OR HQG, though there is probably something I've overlooked. It is the little Rune that couldn't.

Lodril's Ten Sons and Servants. 

14 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Lodril's Sons, Pavis, Mostal, - plenty of gods with Stasis. But since the very incarnation of the Stasis Rune was the Spike - destroyed by Chaos in the event that destroyed the world, its ability to directly impose itself on the world is quite limited.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff said:

Lodril's Sons, Pavis, Mostal, - plenty of gods with Stasis.

I didn’t say there were no gods with the Rune, just that they didn’t grant spells (Pavis has the rune, but does not grant Stasis rune magic, only sorcery - his only Rune spell is the City Harmony spell). But I had missed Lodrils Sons. So if we assume Mostali (and Flintnail) magic is all sorcery, we seem to have a grand total of one Stasis Rune Spell. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:57 PM, Jeff said:

The definitive list of cults and spirit cults in the Cults of Glorantha are:

90. Primal Chaos

91. Bagog

92. Cacodemon

93. Crimson Bat

94. Krarsht

95. Krjalk

96. Mallia

97. Pocharngo

98. Thanatar

99. Thed

100. Vivamort

Huh.

At one point, I recall the notion floating 'round that there would be a later, separate CoT-like volume for deities not appropriate for PC worship; bad guys for the GM.

It now appears they're being wrapped under the same cover(s)?

Edited by g33k
typo (thanks for immortalizing it, ya damned Bbn)

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

Huh.

At one point, I recall the notion floating 'round that there would be a later, separate CoT-like volume for deities not appropriate for PC worship; bad guys for the GM.

It now appears they're being wrap[ped under the same cover(s)?

I recall at one time thatJeff back-pedalled saying to do so would cause 3 books due to increasing numbers of deities being added, instead of the 2 book cap they had established.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I recall at one time thatJeff back-pedalled saying to do so would cause 3 books due to increasing numbers of deities being added, instead of the 2 book cap they had established.

OK, thanks.  I guess I missed that.

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

If this question isn't out of line, could someone with prior access let me know if Minlister and Redalda are in the book (as subcults, presumably)?

After character creation on Saturday this week, I'm having to decide whether to make them up myself for the players or wait for the book. 

@Akhôrahil

Online I saw a writeup:

Redalda

Horse (Fire/Sky) Rune

Redalda is the daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda. When Elmal joined the tribe, Orlanth created the Foreigner’s Wedding so that Redalda could marry the Sun. Since then, she has been the god of horses. Worshipping her is the only way that Orlanthi women can participate in Elmal’s normally male-only cult. Redalda will not suffer any horse to be hurt or killed and her worshippers ritually protest but do not interfere whenever her beloved animals are sacrificed to any other Orlanthi god. Her worshippers make effigies covered with the furs of wolf, saber-tooth cat, lion and similar grassland predators and then burn them for the god.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
wrong rune

On 8/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, jajagappa said:

And probably many war gods and demi-gods associated with shield-walls or phalanxes. When holding the line is important, Stasis might aid a formation retain integrity. Of course, cavalry and chariot gods conversely probably use Mobility, but when the two meet in combat, the conflict between the Runes becomes of the utmost importance...?

• Like 1