Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

15 minutes ago, davecake said:

Minlister is in there, as a subcult of Ernalda. In moderate detail. 

Than answer me this burning question as to the format if you might. Does it resemble CoP of Cults/Lords of Terror or horrors, is it more like GoG of RQ 3 vintage?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Than answer me this burning question as to the format if you might. Does it resemble CoP of Cults/Lords of Terror or horrors, is it more like GoG of RQ 3 vintage?

Cults of Prax/Cults of Terror.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

And probably many war gods and demi-gods associated with shield-walls or phalanxes.When holding the line is important, Stasis might aid a formation retain integrity.

Polaris at least has Stasis, and as a war god he is pretty much the god of unit integrity. 

Like Lhankor Mhy, though, none of his magic actually uses the Stasis Rune. Even Granite Phalanx does not get Stasis Rune magic so it it appears that, once again, Stasis is a rune that might describe their non-magical behaviour but has no magical expression. In fact, he even has more magic that can use the Mobility rune than Stasis, even though he is a Stasis god! 

Of course, the Stasis Rune be used to help rolls to hold the line and stay firm. But again, we have a Stasis rune cult where the practical consequences of a low Stasis rune are fairly minimal for a PC. 

There aren't really writeups of any cavalry gods in full that I know of (gods like Hwarin Dalthippa, Yelorna, or Yelmalio, even Elmal, dabble in cavalry as one aspect amongst many - and of course Yelorna and Yelmalio are gods of shield wall/phalanx fighting as well), and most of those (not Yelorna, obviously) seem to express their horse connection through being associated with Hyalor Horsebreaker, who grants Command Horse. Obviously Mobility magic is going to be pretty handy, but making your horse willing to do things (like charge a group of armed men) that it naturally is very reluctant to do seems more important. Kargzant is almost just cavalry only Yelmalio minus phalanxes - none seem to have Mobility rune magic. 

• Like 1

Let m

14 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:
18 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Cults of Prax/Cults of Terror.

Woohoo!

Let me just say this, as one of the privileged few with access to the GoG preview (thank you Peter Tracy!)

It is good. Very good. The write ups are thorough, and detailed, and packed with Gloranthan detail. Some things are similar, some have changed where needed, some have not changed but have been greatly and usefully expanded. Some are new, and provide detail we have wanted for *decades*. It provides enough detail to play pretty much anywhere in Central Genertela, including Kethaela and most of Peloria. People are going to love it, and the huge amount of work Jeff has put into it is very obvious. 

I have quibbles, of course, because that is in my nature - but even then, my quibbles mostly arise from me being a bigger fan of Jeffs HeroQuest books than he is! People are going to love it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 6:55 AM, Jeff said:

I'm afraid that it is the reverse. LM had Law in HQ because we pulled sorcery off the Law Rune under the HQ rules. Since we don't do that in RQG, LM can return to being Truth and Stasis. 

Well, that explains much. Now I understand why it is so friggin' hard to change anything or find anything in a Lhankor Mhy temple library. I have been blaming L-Space for this but the culprit is obviously the stasis rune.

Truth and Stasis mixing and hanging out with  Movement/Storm/Change, that would make Lhankor Mhy and Orlanth the odd couple of Glorantha, no?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Well, that explains much. Now I understand why it is so friggin' hard to change anything or find anything in a Lhankor Mhy temple library. I have been blaming L-Space for this but the culprit is obviously the stasis rune.

Truth and Stasis mixing and hanging out with  Movement/Storm/Change, that would make Lhankor Mhy and Orlanth the odd couple of Glorantha, no?

Between them the Lightbringers have Movement, Stasis, Harmony, Disorder, Truth, Illusion - just missing Life and Death to complete the polarities, but one could say that is the LBQ itself!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Between them the Lightbringers have Movement, Stasis, Harmony, Disorder, Truth, Illusion - just missing Life and Death to complete the polarities, but one could say that is the LBQ itself!

That's actually pretty interesting (and fitting)! That life can be restored when the ebb and flow of creation calms and comes together... so I wonder about the 7M. Seems they reach that powerful point of balance via the cycles of the Moon, and that point of balance is the Red Goddess herself. She (or her Empire) weaves the Moon rune into the fabric of all existence (or rather reveals how it's already there, in one phase or another), intent on healing it with that same trick. That's how I'm seeing it, anyway.

As an aside, if her effort to supplant Orlanth from the Middle Air would have been successful, would she have supplanted Orlanth as the resurrector of Yelm too? And why does that asking that question bring to my mind the name Nysalor. Hmm.

Edited by Grievous
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Could someone do me a favor, please? I mean, someone who got the drafts at Gen Con:

Are Uleria's rune spells the same as in RQ3? And do they work the same? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Uleria provides the following Rune spells: Birthing, Community, Erotocomatose Lucidity, Extension, Reproduce, Sanctify, and Transfer Pregnancy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Uleria provides the following Rune spells: Birthing, Community, Erotocomatose Lucidity, Extension, Reproduce, Sanctify, and Transfer Pregnancy. 

Thanks a lot! It's cool that she has those rune spells. I can now see wifes and not only bachelors going to her temples.

I need to ask: what does "Community" do?  

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

On 9/20/2019 at 1:53 AM, Jeff said:

Arachne Solara, being a/the master/weaver of time and the being standing at the ultimate point in the lightbrigers quest might be the shiva of this equation. The creator and destroyer embodied as one. Sounds like a great role for a spider to me.

Cheers

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

You saw the list

"Birthing, Community, Erotocomatose Lucidity, Extension, Reproduce, Sanctify, and Transfer Pregnancy"

and asked what Community does?

Hahaha! 😂 Yes, because I already know what the one in bold does!

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

ENTIRELY UNRELATEDLY, because the Sun Gods f*ck through a sheet when they aren't sworn to virginity, Turos being the exception

... is Molanni, "mother of Daga", somehow related to Entekos? Daga is paralleled by Yatelo the (deeply creepy) Hungry Sun in Six Ages. She is portrayed by Orlanthings as a woman in a submissive position. Is Molanni an Orlanthing interpretation of Yelm's Wife?

Here's Yatelo, because everyone loves pictures. Also pictured: Inilla the Gatherer God looking sad and Elmal officially looking "vexed". (Six Ages 542410594_Yatelotheasshole.jpg.19ff9d8754263116725912697b8cee58.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Community Spell in ye olde Gods of Glorantha simply allowed any communication skill within an area of effect to succeed automatically.  This rather bland spell took on a new kink when you looked at the nearby courtesan skill which was a communication skill.  So it's means to be an Orgy spell.

I've disagreed in the past about whether the spell should cover skills other than courtesan because an automatic success in intimidation or speak other languages doesn't quite mesh with the interest of the Goddess of Love.  I would amend it these days that any communication skill will automatically succeed if carried out for erotic purposes.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, Grievous said:

As an aside, if her effort to supplant Orlanth from the Middle Air would have been successful, would she have supplanted Orlanth as the resurrector of Yelm too? And why does that asking that question bring to my mind the name Nysalor. Hmm.

It shouldn't; it should bring to mind Rashoran/a and Jernotie. Nysalor might teach Illumination but the Red Goddess always always claims Rashoran/a, Jernotie, and the Atarks, not Nysalor. Nysalor is just convenient because Illumination is Illumination, practically speaking, and the Solar Empire already was riddled with Nysaloreans.

But the Red Goddess is tied to Entekos, the phallic Middle Air Storm God and Dendera, who was Uleria the Titan and became Uleria the mother of Moons and gained a water rune. These share with Rashoran/a and Jernotie and the Atarks a prehistoric and "monstrous" lack of fixed gender associated with the Titanic court. (Nysalor appeared as it pleased the viewer, but he was male: this was just an illusion.)

Entekos is the Middle Air and Dendera bore the White Sun which became reborn as the Blue Moon when Yelm rebelled.

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

I've disagreed in the past about whether the spell should cover skills other than courtesan because an automatic success in intimidation or speak other languages doesn't quite mesh with the interest of the Goddess of Love.  I would amend it these days that any communication skill will automatically succeed if carried out for erotic purposes.

I think it is a profound misunderstanding of Uleria to think she only deals with erotic love. She is not the goddess of eros, she is the goddess of love - eros, agape, philia, storge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davecake said:

I think it is a profound misunderstanding of Uleria to think she only deals with erotic love. She is not the goddess of eros, she is the goddess of love - eros, agape, philia, storge. 

To be honest, I've never really seen myths of her acting through agape etc, it's just eros through and through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1