Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Oui.

Ah enfin ! Je savais qu'une telle création ne pouvait être anglophone 😛

I have a question about the gods changes (LM, Odayla, ...) between RQG and the previous version  (at least oriflam one) Sorry if someone already answered before.

Are these changes an earth change (chaosium decides that these gods are like that from the god times)

or Are these changes a gloranthan change (for any reason, the gods moved their position / power between 1600 and "now") 

16 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Ah enfin ! Je savais qu'une telle création ne pouvait être anglophone 😛

I have a question about the gods changes (LM, Odayla, ...) between RQG and the previous version  (at least oriflam one) Sorry if someone already answered before.

Are these changes an earth change (chaosium decides that these gods are like that from the god times)

or Are these changes a gloranthan change (for any reason, the gods moved their position / power between 1600 and "now") 

There are few if any changes. Have a look at the Prosopaedia, I've added the RQG runes for all the current printed cults, you can compare with the Cult compendium:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/prosopaedia/deities/

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I have a question about the gods changes (LM, Odayla, ...) between RQG and the previous version  (at least oriflam one)

The french Oriflam release is (was) a good translation of the AH one, and is very close.

14 hours ago, David Scott said:

There are few if any changes. Have a look at the Prosopaedia, I've added the RQG runes for all the current printed cults, you can compare with the Cult compendium:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/prosopaedia/deities/

thanks but I was more focused on magic (and associated behaviour)

"Now" Odayla hunter can change into bear. In my previous version Odayla and Foundchild were just two "names" for the same spells, skills, etc.. I understood the difference from a geo-mythic perspective (origin of the god, where the god is followed, etc...) but not the big difference we have in RQG

"Now" LM gives sorcery. In my previous version I understood (Was I wrong ? it was so many years ago) that sorcery was not really accepted in orlanthi culture, even for LM followers. At least there was no description that a sartarite LM can learn / use sorcery (except with the illumination joker)

I probably missed so many discussions that explain this changes (i like them, that is not a challenge) but I would like to know if it is a game design change or a world design change after some "crisis" (but which one ?)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I would like to know if it is a game design change or a world design change after some "crisis" (but which one ?)

Boringly enough, it's a result of authors who've spent years working with the older, less fleshed-out versions coming up with better ways to represent their vision of Glorantha.

If you need to pretend the "magic changed overnight" or something to appease grognard players in some decades-long RuneQuest campaign, of course you can do that, and there are precedents (e.g. the "Day the Magic Changed" back in 1984, when RQ3 was released, the magic systems all flipped and the Falangian Diamonds went inert overnight). But there's no need to build elaborate theories around it. We didn't know as much "back then" as we do nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2019 at 6:57 PM, g33k said:

Hmmm.

There's a new TrollPack product coming... do we expect to see additional Divine Uz content there?  Reprinting of GaGoG content?  TrollPack to include lots of "see GaGoG" xref's?  Or...?

You realise that joke is now over 30 years old. There hasn't been an official writeup of Kyger Litor since 1988. Might as well complain about skinny ties.

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

You realise that joke is now over 30 years old. There hasn't been an official writeup of Kyger Litor since 1988. Might as well complain about skinny ties.

Sorry Jeff; that wasn't my query... I wasn't making that joke.  I apologize for any lack of clarity on my part.

There's this comprehensive(ish) Gods product coming out.

There's this comprehensive(ish) Troll product coming out.

There's this overlap:  Gods X Trolls.

How will these two publications cover this overlap?  Will there be Uz divinities appearing in the Troll book that aren't in the Gods book?  Will there be major Uz-POV differences in the Troll book that are un-represented in the Gods book?  Will the Trolls book just explicitly Xref the relevant sections in the Gods book?  Etc.

Kyger Litor... to be brutally frank:  yeah, whatever (don't much care, as a GM).  I got enough on her to find her eminently playable already.  RQ2/3 conversion to RQG covers this more than adequately, if needs be.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

I clearly lost track of the conversation here. It appears that Jeff is replying to a message from a year ago without any clear link to the current conversation (or I missed it).

Skinny ties... now I have very unpleasant flasbacks...

7 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

I clearly lost track of the conversation here. It appears that Jeff is replying to a message from a year ago without any clear link to the current conversation (or I missed it).

For a while, the Troll Goddess Kyger Litor had been written up a LOT of times.
Glorantha fans had begun making jokes like, "A write-up of KL is now mandatory for all Glorantha products..." &c.

Many grognards are still making those (and other 80s'/90s' era) jokes (q.v. "heroquesting rules next year" (or "<almost any product> next year")).

I think Chaosium is tireder of them than the Grognards are.
Something in my careless phrasing seems to have triggered Jeff's 80s/90s PTSD ...   😉 

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

For a while, the Troll Goddess Kyger Litor had been written up a LOT of times.
Glorantha fans had begun making jokes like, "A write-up of KL is now mandatory for all Glorantha products..." &c.

Many grognards are still making those (and other 80s'/90s' era) jokes (q.v. "heroquesting rules next year" (or "<almost any product> next year")).

I think Chaosium is tireder of them than the Grognards are.
Something in my careless phrasing seems to have triggered Jeff's 80s/90s PTSD ...   😉 

Yes, I understood the context. I was simply puzzled because it seems Jeff quoted a post from you dated 7/21/2019 at 2:57 AM, g33k said:

28 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Yes, I understood the context. I was simply puzzled because it seems Jeff quoted a post from you dated 7/21/2019 ...

Replies are always appreciated, at least by me.  So the long delay is maybe odd, but not a problem.

Bonus -- at least for me -- is the chance to clear up a miscommunication I had made, particularly one that had apparently rankled.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...