Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

2 hours ago, svensson said:

But my inner is 6-year old is still frustrated. It seems like Cthulhu and KAP get first dibs on Chaosium's main effort. That's not true, and rationally I know that. But it feels that way sometimes.  But you how it is when you're six... 😉

GaGoG is a VERY art-heavy book!  Don't forget those delays; every single artist is a single-point-of-failure (or hopefully, just delay!).  I recall reading recently that one crucial art person had had a very-severe bout of covid, with more than a month of essentially-zero output & very slow ramp-up thereafter.

CoC has a MUCH smoother/simpler production process than Glorantha.   Art references & art-direction are easier, and if existing artists are at capacity, any decent artist can be hired and can step up to do period-authentic CoC art.  Mike Mason has been doing this for *AGES* at Chaosium.  Similarly, there are more writers who can do justice to the setting.

I do believe CoC is "out-producing" Glorantha at Chaosium, in terms of word-count / page-count / books-released.  But I don't believe it's taking any more in-house resources to do so!  (I don't think KAP is producing at NEARLY the volume RQ is; nor taking the in-house resources Glorantha does).

Dunno if that makes your inner six-year-old feel any better, though!

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

All true @g33k.

You're not going to just cut-and-paste Angus McBride artwork into Glorantha and have it look 'right'. RQG has set very high art and production values and while it's got a stable of artists it's not a very big stable. And you just can't sub anyone in when one artist has life issues.

I'm also aware that CoC gets more sales than RQG, although Glorantha is catching up a bit. I don't know about Chaosium's inner workings to say if the divisions compete with each other, but CoC is much more established and their rule changes weren't the wholesale 'burn it down and do it over' that RQ did from RQ3 to Heroquest to Mongoose RQ to RQG.

And all of that takes time.

Like I say, adult me understands it, but inner 6-year old me is still waiting for his goodies with baited breath. 😉

58 minutes ago, svensson said:

... CoC is much more established and their rule changes weren't the wholesale 'burn it down and do it over' that RQ did from RQ3 to Heroquest to Mongoose RQ to RQG.

Technically, HW/HQ was an Issaries-Inc production, independent of Chaosium.  Greg owned Glorantha... but not RQ!  And he wasn't working for/with Chaosium at the time.  He founded a new company (and worked on that project with Robin Laws).  RQ rules never got "burned down" in that project (now it's back at Chaosium, and being called "Questworlds;" but still, AFAIK, taking minimal resources away from RQ)... RQ remained in its state of quiet repose.

And while the Chaosium crew was deeply involved in RQ3 at AH (basically did the entire ms.), they were much LESS involved with MRQ (either edition).

RQG is mostly a building-up, atop a chassis made of about 60%RQ2 - 20%RQ3 - 15%KAP - 5%new.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/20/2022 at 3:51 PM, davey68uk said:

Any idea when GaGoG will be released? Also, is there a rough estimate when Weapons & Equipment physical copy will be available to buy? Thanks.

While we like to provide info on how things are going, we are extremely hesitant to provide specific availability dates. Some people get extremely upset and/or demanding when dates are estimated, and then delays cause them to be missed. It gets rather tiresome to keep responding to "but you said May 1st, so why is it late" types of posts. Some people have even accused us of lying. 

Weapons & Equipment has completed printing and is currently being shipped to our Warehouses in the US, UK, Canada and Australia. We're fairly close to it being for sale.

The GaGoG books are in the early layout stage. Once they have gone to the printer we will update everyone on where we are at. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Really does help Rick, thank you. I certainly wouldn't be critical of Chaosium in any way if there are further delays given the global situation. I will keep an eye on the website and the Ab Chaos newsletter regards availability of both items. Looking forward to reading them!

Hello friends, 

I have a doubt and your insights would be much appreciated. 

I bought Griffin Mountain (while I am waiting for the Sartar box) . When I read about Firshala Fire+Spirit I realize that three of her spells (summon ancestor, especific ancestor, teacher spirit) are Man rune spells (I also have Red book of magic). The question I have is if I should remove those spells and maybe put "Divert fire" in their place or some other appropriate fire rune spell. 

Is the Spirit rune a sort of joker that can be used instead of other form runes in the cults runes description?. I mean, every spirit cult has de spirit rune and there are no consequences beyond that. Right or wrong? So all magic goes through the Main rune of the cult, in this case Fire rune. 

I also have Bestiary, and Aldrya offers Reflection (an Illusion, Moon) spell. It seems odd because her cult Runes are life+earth+plant. Is posible then that a God offers a rune spell whose Runes are not of the cult? Or maybe is the spell associated with the rune powers used in the myths? I mean, tooth pain spell could be used through disorder, beast, even fire if you get the same effect only a different source. 

If a God can offer spells outside of cults Runes then I leave Firshala as was written. She is a minor goddess/spirit so no associates/sub cults yet. 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Jose said:

I bought Griffin Mountain (while I am waiting for the Sartar box) . When I read about Firshala Fire+Spirit I realize that three of her spells (summon ancestor, especific ancestor, teacher spirit) are Man rune spells (I also have Red book of magic). The question I have is if I should remove those spells and maybe put "Divert fire" in their place or some other appropriate fire rune spell. 

One of Firshala's biggest strengths is its Ancestor Worship, so I would not remove those spells.

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

Is the Spirit rune a sort of joker that can be used instead of other form runes in the cults runes description?. I mean, every spirit cult has de spirit rune and there are no consequences beyond that. Right or wrong?

In RQ2, Spirit meant Spirit, so an Ancestor cult could use Spirit.

In RQG, Spirit means something else, so her Runes might be Fire and Man.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

So all magic goes through the Main rune of the cult, in this case Fire rune. 

You could say that and I am sure that it would work.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

I also have Bestiary, and Aldrya offers Reflection (an Illusion, Moon) spell. It seems odd because her cult Runes are life+earth+plant. Is posible then that a God offers a rune spell whose Runes are not of the cult? Or maybe is the spell associated with the rune powers used in the myths? I mean, tooth pain spell could be used through disorder, beast, even fire if you get the same effect only a different source. 

I wouldn't get hung up over the Runes used to cast a spell, to be honest.

If a cult gets access to a spell and doesn't have the Runes that are typically used to vast it, I would just say that the spell can be cast using the most applicable rune.

• Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Hello friends, 

I have a doubt and your insights would be much appreciated. 

Just use the fire rune for her ancestor spells.

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Is the Spirit rune a sort of joker that can be used instead of other form runes in the cults runes description?.

No.

8 hours ago, Jose said:

I mean, every spirit cult has de spirit rune and there are no consequences beyond that. Right or wrong? So all magic goes through the Main rune of the cult, in this case Fire rune.

Few cults and spirit cults have the spirit rune. Those that do can let the spirits of the cults cast the rune magic (like Daka Fal)

8 hours ago, Jose said:

I also have Bestiary, and Aldrya offers Reflection (an Illusion, Moon) spell. It seems odd because her cult Runes are life+earth+plant. Is possible then that a God offers a rune spell whose Runes are not of the cult?

Yes! or just use the Plant rune.

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Or maybe is the spell associated with the rune powers used in the myths? I mean, tooth pain spell could be used through disorder, beast, even fire if you get the same effect only a different source. 

If a God can offer spells outside of cults Runes then I leave Firshala as was written. She is a minor goddess/spirit so no associates/sub cults yet. 

It does say At this point, the referee is basically given carte blanche to develop the cult of Firshala as he sees fit. It might even be a good idea to allow the character who frees her to develop the cult.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

Just use the fire rune for her ancestor spells.

No.

Few cults and spirit cults have the spirit rune. Those that do can let the spirits of the cults cast the rune magic (like Daka Fal)

Yes! or just use the Plant rune.

It does say At this point, the referee is basically given carte blanche to develop the cult of Firshala as he sees fit. It might even be a good idea to allow the character who frees her to develop the cult.

Thanks David, I am still don't know how the Spirit Rune works in RQG, I understand Beast, Plant and Man Runes. Your guidance on this matter is appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

Thanks David, I am still don't know how the Spirit Rune works in RQG...

It doesn't. It currently has no documented use.

If I was writing the rules, I'd make Spirit one of the Form runes that add up to 100, so Man, Beast, Plant, Spirit, etc. and shamans would have a Spirit rune rating. But that's not how it works, only spirits have the Spirit rune.

Edited by PhilHibbs

23 minutes ago, Jose said:

Thanks David, I am still don't know how the Spirit Rune works in RQG, I understand Beast, Plant and Man Runes. Your guidance on this matter is appreciated.

It governs incorporeal things. Since humans are, by definition, corporeal, it doesn't have a lot of relevance for the same. Same thing with the Plant Rune - humans are not plants. Aldryami are, and it replaces the Beast Rune for them.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, Rick Meints said:

Please remember that additional cult related books are bound to come out after this initial big burst of cults. If you want every possible cult in a single initial "Gods of Glorantha" offering you would have to wait many years for that. It's far better to get LOTS of cults sooner, rather than ALL the cults much later.

We all agree.. 😉