Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Please don't ask us when a book will be printed and for sale. We don't have all the art yet, nor has it gone to layout. It is in final editing and proofing.

We would love to give estimates, but people get upset, disappointed, or sometimes even angry at us if we are late on an estimated date.

Understandable, I just thought there may be a rough idea out since it was stated that some may be available at GenCon. Just keep at doing what you all are doing as the books thus far look amazing!

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Please don't ask us when a book will be printed and for sale. We don't have all the art yet, nor has it gone to layout. It is in final editing and proofing.

We would love to give estimates, but people get upset, disappointed, or sometimes even angry at us if we are late on an estimated date.

29 minutes ago, DerKrieger said:

Understandable, I just thought there may be a rough idea out since it was stated that some may be available at GenCon.

I had similar hopes/wonderings. Honestly, though, for it's just gratifying to hear updates, even when they're "soft" ones by necessity. For me, hearing anything is better than hearing nothing and wondering, even if that anything is "Still working on Heroquesting for the fortieth year! We'll get there :)." Or, "we're still editing, and waiting on art."

Avoiding a hard date is totally reasonable!

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

3 hours ago, DerKrieger said:

... I just thought there may be a rough idea out since it was stated that some may be available at GenCon...

Not quite.

The GenCon product isn't the "retail" product:  it's NOT the first few boxes rush-shipped;  it's a draft copy, printed & bound as such.

Per Rick, it is still in edit/proof stages, so I don't expect Chaosium can even guarantee (at this point) that the "GenCon Edition" will be the print-final text; nor will it likely have much (if any) of the art; etc.

I expect that for a customer at the GenCon booth, more precise details will be available.  But for a very-limited print-run of a draft/pre-release edition...

Well, until they take the "snapshot" of the draft, to print for GenCon (which (if I understand correctly) they have not yet taken), they won't know what that looks like.  And until Jeff/Jason/whoever declares the draft ready for Layout, they won't know what the Final looks like either.

And for those of us who are drooling FanBoiz&Grrlz with $90ish burning a hole in our coinpurses, none of those uncertainties matter in the slightest!   :--)

Edited by g33k
Typo'ed a mis-edit
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, styopa said:

I daresay that for GoG book(s) the art will be in a sense even more critical to portraying a lot of the flavor of most of the gods/pantheons presented; I can't imagine this is going to be quick or easy.

Especially since I assume the GoG books will be like the Bestiary, using only a limited number of artists, or even just a single one, so that there's consistency between all the illustrations of deities and artifacts and whatever... unless they do want to give different pantheons a different flavour, I don't know... but if they go with less artists, that means less parallelization of work and therefore it could easily push the books to late 2020 or further away. But when you know how meticulous Jeff is with every illustration, that's actually good news!

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

6 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Especially since I assume the GoG books will be like the Bestiary, using only a limited number of artists, or even just a single one, so that there's consistency between all the illustrations of deities and artifacts and whatever... unless they do want to give different pantheons a different flavour, I don't know... but if they go with less artists, that means less parallelization of work and therefore it could easily push the books to late 2020 or further away. But when you know how meticulous Jeff is with every illustration, that's actually good news!

I would think the second option. Not all religious paintings are Raphaels.

6 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:
On 7/20/2019 at 7:11 AM, Jeff said:
  • Wachaza (needs to wait - his cult is right now confined largely to the Wachaza)

Should that be "the Vormaino"?

That's Tsankht. Wachaza is mainly worshiped by the Waertagi, is what Jeff probably meant to type.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

20 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Wachaza is mainly worshiped by the Waertagi, is what Jeff probably meant to type.

He is? Did that change at some point - I'm just reading that chapter in the Sourcebook, and it's particularly specific that the Waertagi don't (or at least, didn't) worship Wachaza.

He was shunned by the Waertagi

Edited by Akhôrahil

9 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

All I know is all I want is Arkat cults. And I don't want Western ones. Argrath has Arkat's rune tattooed on his FACE, let's get that energy going in Kerofinela.

If you want Arkat worship in Dragon Pass, that probably means Arkat Kingtroll.

Personally, I want to see Safelster cult craziness!

Edited by Akhôrahil

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:
1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Wachaza is mainly worshiped by the Waertagi, is what Jeff probably meant to type.

He is? Did that change at some point - I'm just reading that chapter in the Sourcebook, and it's particularly specific that the Waertagi don't (or at least, didn't) worship Wachaza.

He was shunned by the Waertagi

P.86:  "who had seen and feared his power of Death."

That's prior to their retreat down Magasta's Pool, into the realm of Sapana/Robber. Those who returned may have adopted Wachaza for their revenge on the Jrusteli.

The box on p.85 tells a different story about Wachaza and the Waertagi:

King Waertag had three wives, two from among the Mirinthe and the third a daughter of his brother. These three clans had descended approximately nine generations by the time of the Darkness, and had a further two clans formed independently in that time. One of these clans had monopolized worship of the War God and spread themselves through the other clans as an inherited specialized battle clan, thanks to a chance encounter once with Wachaza.

I am not quite certain whether this really should read "The Wartain Mer-Tribe", though, and that "King Waertag" as "King Wartain" - the final sentences of that box talk about Warera being descended from King "Waertag" to become grandmother of Waertag and Zzabur.

But then, who is left to worship Wachaza in the God Learner way?

The Malkioni coastal folk of Umathela received the Dormal secrets from the Vadeli. I don't see much evidence for a revival of Wachaza here.

The Rightarm Islanders do whatever the Kethaelan Ludoch dictate.

The Masloi shun strong deities.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

If you want Arkat worship in Dragon Pass, that probably means Arkat Kingtroll.

The beauty of Dragon Pass is that you have Arkat Kingtroll in the south and northeast, Arkat Humaktsson in the south and around Delecti's Marsh, Arkat the Knight in the Holy Country, Zorak Arkat near the Footprint and so on. All very minor cults, but all have their place. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

Arkat Humaktsson in the south and around Delecti's Marsh,

My current feeling is it is a secret mystic tradition within the Humakt cult. And a tiny group that has limited reasons to meet, probably meeting in secret at night. But who can sense other Illuminates and does not hesitate to kill those they believe to be corrupt. 

Their one bit of useful magic is that they can make geases far less onerous (maybe breaking a geas is a temporary inconvenience), so they can manage many more geases. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davecake said:

My current feeling is it is a secret mystic tradition within the Humakt cult. And a tiny group that has limited reasons to meet, probably meeting in secret at night. But who can sense other Illuminates and does not hesitate to kill those they believe to be corrupt. 

Their one bit of useful magic is that they can make geases far less onerous (maybe breaking a geas is a temporary inconvenience), so they can manage many more geases. 

I would have imagined you could break geases freely if you're Illuminated? I mean, they may think that's not OK and kill you for doing it, of course.

Edited by Akhôrahil

3 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I would have imagined you could break geases freely if you're Illuminated?

Well, you are immune to cult spirits of retribution (for Humakt, Humakt himself breaking your sword), and can ignore cult restrictions (that would otherwise have you expelled from the cult) so the main consequences of geas breaking are easily avoided by Illuminates. I’m not sure I like the idea that Illuminates can simply ignore the geas and retain the gift though, that seems a bit game breaking. I think they might lose the gift temporarily and have to meditate and resume the geas behavior, or something. A minor inconvenience not something that brings your life crashing down. 

I know that in RQ3 it was canon that E.g. Ralzakarks Humakti broo just ignored teases, but it seems a bit munchkiny to me. 

12 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I mean, they may think that's not OK and kill you for doing it, of course.

Absolutely. If any Humakti witnessed you breaking a gears with impunity, you better have a very good explanation, or you are going to get a lot of potentially lethal duels and such. Some might even think you no longer had to be dealt with with honour. 

5 minutes ago, davecake said:

I know that in RQ3 it was canon that E.g. Ralzakarks Humakti broo just ignored teases, but it seems a bit munchkiny to me. 

I do think it's scarier if they keep to their geases but are still absolutely horrible within them. Instead of it being cheating, it shows that sure, Humakt is fine with this. Bound to give an Orlanthi a second thought.

Edited by Akhôrahil