Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha

Jeff

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

sorry, what

Ralkzakark has a Broo Legion, made up of normal Humakti Broo and the feared Castrati, Humakti Broos who choose voluntarily to be castrated, so their natural Broo impulses do not get in the way of their devotion to Humakt. Some even have Gifts from the Gods to help them, for example thick skin, regeneration or spitting acid.

30 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Humakt doesn't have a huge problem with Chaos. It's the Undead he's bothered with (many of which are chaotic, though).

We had a GM who would occasionally trot out some form of Chaotic Humakti Rune Lord or Priest NPC, usually an Ogre but once an intelligent Waltakpus, just because Humakt was Neutral to Chaos. They didn't last long as NPCs.

45 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

He has broo Chalana Arroy healers as well.

The Wild Healer of the Rockwoods is a Broo Healer. I don't think it is connected to Ralzakark, but I am sure that he has Chaotic Healers, members of Chalana Arroy, Queen Deezola and other Healing cults. Some may even have gifts from the Gods that give them healing powers.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

15 minutes ago, soltakss said:

We had a GM who would occasionally trot out some form of Chaotic Humakti Rune Lord or Priest NPC, usually an Ogre but once an intelligent Waltakpus, just because Humakt was Neutral to Chaos. They didn't last long as NPCs.

I could easily see how a deca-wielding Walktapus Sword of Humakt with ten swords could be a credible opposition, though...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:
2 hours ago, davecake said:

Ralzakarks Humakti broo

sorry, what

Ralzakark being an illuminated unicorn/broo who rules the chaos steeped lands that birthed Njalor/Gbaji, Dorastor, and has lived for possibly centuries, breaks many rules.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

The Wild Healer of the Rockwoods is a Broo Healer. I don't think it is connected to Ralzakark, but I am sure that he has Chaotic Healers, members of Chalana Arroy, Queen Deezola and other Healing cults. Some may even have gifts from the Gods that give them healing powers.

Dorastor: Land of Doom says he has about 40 Chalana Arroy, 3 of whom are priests.

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

and that too, oops, forgot...

45 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Dorastor: Land of Doom says he has about 40 Chalana Arroy, 3 of whom are priests.

I really am not surprised. It's been ages since I read it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I thought Undeath was a Chaos subrune; Zorak Zoran doesn't have that rune and His cultists reanimate His slain dead and loathe Chaos.

ZZ is fine using cave trolls (who bear a chaos taint and have chaotic regeneration abilities) as ablative meat alongside their posthumous cult members and victims.

Hatred is a huge part of what ZZ is about, the choice of target is fairly secondary. Chaos is a notable rival for maximum scariness, and has done things to the trolls that fuel that hatred, but fire cults are as bad.

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Lunar Way makes sense, but Chalana Arroy? That hurts my ... brain. I think it's my brain.

Pacifist vegetarian broos are indeed nothing short of a miracle. Illumination can be quite powerful, and the seed may have come from a Chalanan who got afflicted with chaotic features but managed to hold on to her tenets. Possibly got illuminated in the process, possibly even gave birth to those broos survivng by healing herself. (Or himself... broo births don't require any sexual organs, and any kind of opening to the body will do for insemination, including a spear wound.)

Biologists might argue whether broos really have male genitals or rather ovipositors.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Ralzakark being an illuminated unicorn/broo

Ah Ralzakark the Unicorn Emperor.

I thought he, uh died. Of "accidental" iron "poisoning". I thought the remaining ones were Ralzakark the Face and Ralzakark with the Scorpion Arm.

I knew there was at least one "healed" broo, The Cleansed - a broo who healed its Chaos rune by drowning it in the Purifying Waters. It's a subcult of Zola Fel with the Water rune.

36 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I knew there was at least one "healed" broo, The Cleansed - a broo who healed its Chaos rune by drowning it in the Purifying Waters. It's a subcult of Zola Fel with the Water rune.

My turn to go huh, that one I do not recognize.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

It's from, uh, River of Cradles, I think?

The one by MOB, or Ken Ralston, or..? with the great view of soldiers near the Pavic Walls by the river? Some great stuff in that one. Though have not run all of it.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

My turn to go huh, that one I do not recognize.

It's from Pavis, Gateway to Adventure, page 391:

The Cleansed One (Water rune)
This character was originally a broo who, sickened by his foul condition, quested mightily to remove the taint of chaos from his being. He was able to find the true purification in the deep waters, and used Zola Fel as his route. He is now a symbol of whatever chaos-destroying powers the river possesses. The Cleansed One can lead questers on a path to cleanse themselves of a Chaotic taint by traveling to the Purifying Waters in the Heart of the Sea. The quest is difficult, but not as deadly as some of the other local purifying quests known to the Praxians.

... and so forth

41 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

It's from Pavis, Gateway to Adventure, page 391:

... and so forth

økay, thank you... Have the original Pavis and Big Rubbles modules and I do not recall seeing that one there, but it has been a few years, perhaps I mis-recall. . Alas...

21 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I've got a version of the Cleansed One HeroQuest on my website. It's quite deadly but cures all Chaos Taints/Curses, if you survive it.

7 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

What makes a Chaos creature *want* to give up its Chaos????  (Other than Illumination?)

The accidental gaining of a Chaos Feature?

Meeting someone who challenges its belief system and so it decides it wants to be different?

Wanting to join a cult that does not accept Chaos?

Meeting another Chaot who is on the Cleansed One HeroQuest and leads by example?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

What makes a Chaos creature *want* to give up its Chaos????  (Other than Illumination?)

I know you said Other than Illumination, but I think it's nonetheless relevant to remember that you can be Illuminated involuntarily, IIRC.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

12 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Many Chaos creatures are in pain/massively traumatized and their anger and violence is a response to this; this is definitely the case with Broos. The 'immune system of Glorantha' tends to conflict with their taint.

The Storm Bull 'Sense Chaos' is a weirdly empathic response: they feel the pain and anger of the Chaos monster. Illuminated Chaos doesn't suffer in the same way, and hence doesn't trigger this.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, Crel said:

I know you said Other than Illumination, but I think it's nonetheless relevant to remember that you can be Illuminated involuntarily, IIRC.

Correct, one reason while non-traditional riddles are suspect in Orlanthi lands that use them in ritual or pastime. Of which I believe Dragon Pass hosts a few (Orlanthi lands, that is). And of course anywhere where Yelmalio and Orlanthi Cultists interact. Again a few places in Dragon Pass.

edited to correct (long after the fact)...

: so here is the source of the confusion... It should read 

one reason why non-traditional riddles are suspect...