Where is winter colder? Boldhome? Or Glamour?

RHW

On 3/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, Julian Lord said:

IIRC it's an old discrepancy, dating back possibly even to the RQ3 era .. someone, I can't remember who (Peter Metcalfe ? Joerg ? Nick Brooke ?) suggested that whilst the Kalikos HQ has been attempted for over a century, 1593 was the first time that it was completely successful. We do know anyway that unsuccessful attempts were made for several years prior to 1593.

How catastrophic would the failures have been prior to the first successful one? In Heroquesting, nothing comes without a price, an exchange. For instance the Lightbringers' Quest makes Orlanth give up enmity to the resurrecting Emperor. That's not to say that heroquesting would be a zero-sum activity. Even Chaos gets the boon of re-affirming its role in the Universe from the Hill of Gold quest.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, Julian Lord said:

It's possible too that the original much more locally limited HQ has existed for over a century, but that the first Empire-wide one was in 1593.

That's the view I would subscribe to. Which then leaves the obvious question which region in the Empire started the business, which satrapial families supported the earlier instances magically, and how they shouldered the price of failure in the earlier attempts. All of which would give us some valuable insight in the magic and intrigue business going on in the Empire.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

That's the view I would subscribe to. Which then leaves the obvious question which region in the Empire started the business, which satrapial families supported the earlier instances magically, and how they shouldered the price of failure in the earlier attempts. All of which would give us some valuable insight in the magic and intrigue business going on in the Empire.

It occurs to me as a possibility that the original local HQ may have been motivated by the beginning of the falling of the Syndics Ban, which had probably isolated Valind's Glacier from Peloria and so indirectly warmed its climate.

• Like 1