Boat travel time

Manu

20 minutes ago, Manu said:

In the RQG, there is a travel table for land travel (outdoor movement rate). But not for boat (I know it depends on currents and winds).

Any clues?

There are overseas ship travel times in the Guide, per season, which could be calculated into knots or etmals. Presumably for a moderately fast trading vessel rather than a sleek warship full of tireless rowers independent of food. Other than that, the HQ1 era publication Men of the Seas offers the best estimates for Gloranthan maritime travel I know about.

River travel would be different, and I don't recall to have seen many robust data points in the publications I have read.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

P164 of the Guide:

"Travel is usually much faster by water. A sailing ship that is coasting with good wind can cover about 75 miles in a typical day of sailing (10 hours). A sailing ship in the open sea can average 150 miles per full day (24 hours). An exceptional day’s sailing can cover 210 miles. River travel is not as fast as open sea. Downriver, vessels commonly make 40 miles in a day; upriver depends on the speed of the river current, typically between 10 and 40 miles in a day."

18 hours ago, Manu said:

In the RQG, there is a travel table for land travel (outdoor movement rate). But not for boat (I know it depends on currents and winds).

Do you have RQ3, The Ships and Sailing chapter of the Gamemaster's Book (paged 32-36) has tons of nautical gaming goodness crafted for terrestrial seas, lakes and rivers, but barring Gloranthan weirdness should be fine for most RQ G needs (I think). Though I have not used it, being inland Genertela bound for my gaming, it does look good and quite accessible. Perhaps one day I will get to the Elves Sea in Balazar to give it a try.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!