MoN Updates?

Bohemond

I've been thinking about running MoN recently. I have the single-volume paperback edition issued in the 90s. I'm just wondering if, with the various re-released, there are any significant changes that would necessitate me getting a new edition. Basically, has it changed in any important way?  

That depends entirely on what you deem important. The major changes are the update to 7th, the option to run as Classic or Pulp, re-balancing of many encounters/situations and the addition of a prologue. The newest version has greatly fleshed out GM tips and an extensive beginning chapter on campaign organization and travel. In addition, there is a ton of high quality art, a GM screen, and full color handouts for each Chapter. That said, the narrative core of the campaign hasn't really changed. The new version is, by far, the defintive version, and improves on the campaign in many ways. So, your call as to whether that is enough to justify the upgrade.

• Like 2

(So klecser beat me to it! :) )

I think it's about double in size. A lot of the information about locations have been corrected/improved. It's been updated to 7th edition, of course, with small notes on running it with Pulp. There are more information for the keeper, there are clue diagrams for instance. They also added a scenario zero, which happens a few years before the New-York start and which gives a tie in for the characters with Jackson Elias.

There are a couple of videos where the differences are explained.

• Like 1

I've just finished reading it through in preparation to start running in a couple of weeks - I've read previous versions as well -  and the guys above have pretty much nailed the differences. The only additional thing I'd throw in is that the writers have cleaned up some of the uglier parts of the campaign in terms of societal attitudes and they've done it in a very light-handed way so as not to eradicate historical context completely if it's something your group is comfortable exploring. 

I am currently reviewing it chapter by chapter for my Patrons.

Firstly, the production values are just glorious.  The handouts are amazing (though not as amazing as the HPLHS set - those are out of this world), and the books have great art throughout. 

The intro chapter really sets the scene, doing a great job of encapsulating the entire campaign and the prologue in Peru does a good job of introducing Jackson Elias in a manner that makes him a person rather than a bit of a gaming meme.  He never becomes the focal point, and gives good reasons as to why the investigators eventually consider him a good friend.  As per every edition since the Complete version, the Australian chapter is part of the canon storyline and is included.

It's also worth mentioning that Pulp Cthulhu gets proper treatment here - not just two pages at the end - it is throughout the book whenever appropriate.

My hope going forward is that nothing more is added to it.  I could envisage it becoming a bit of a bloated woman of a campaign if they extended it further.

I think it would be great if Chaosium basically said "right - that's it.  Masks will not be changed any more than this.  This is 100% the definitive edition" as a kind of tribute to the late Larry DiTillio.

• Like 3

Having just finished reading it after it arrived, I'm pretty happy with the revisions, most of which seem pretty smart choices to me. Addressing some of the racial and gender issues was a good move. And it's nice to see some of the obvious blank spots fleshed out (like where the rocket parts are coming from). My only let-down is that some of the art feels a bit of a step down. In particular, the picture of Jackson Elias isn't very good. For some reason, I find that really jarring. 

20 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Until the next one. 

I consider this the definitive edition. There is only so much work you can put into tweaking anything before it becomes splitting hairs. Pleasing every gamer is an impossible goal and unrealistic. Let's just celebrate that we got a fantastic product that will pass the test of time.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Until the next one. 

We believe we have published the definitive and final edition of Masks. With over 40 products in the CoC pipeline, including some major campaigns, Masks is not on our list of future editions/projects. Other than fixing a few unavoidable typos or similar, that's it for Masks. We plan on keeping it in print as long as sales justify doing so.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:44 PM, Rick Meints said:

With over 40 products in the CoC pipeline, including some major campaigns...

40?!  Care to throw us some tasty morsels as to what we can look forward to?

Personally, I am hoping for a slipcase sets of Beyond the Mountains of Madness, Spawn of Azathoth and Shadows of Yog-Sothoth - reworked and expanded for 7E with pulp rules.

Edited by Bud's RPG review