Earth Elementals

Psullie

What do they look like in your games?

P. 179 of the Bestiary: "It cannot leave the soil and looks like a whirlpool or pulse in the earth itself." The description on a Gnomes attack supports this view. But all the images, such as the one where the Ernaldan priestess is summoning a giant gnome on page 180 depict a human/serpent creature.

I think the "golem" look (serpentine or humanoid (others possible, too)) is mostly when intentionally being showy -- an Intimidate, as a distraction, etc.

I can imagine a few isolated casters who only ever saw the flashy version, so it's their go-to look.

C'es ne pas un .sig

There is a Gnome to Gargoyle spell, so that implies that gnomes do not look like gargoyles.

In my game, a gnome doesn't look like anything. It is just the ground, or the earth in the ground and opens up as a pit when it wants to. It is just a blob of earth.

One of our PCs once summoned a small gnome, ordered it to grip a stone pillar, then pulled the pillar out of the ground, just to see what the gnome looked like. I think he washed the earth off with a jet of water as well, but that just washed the gnome away.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here