Runequest video game

Noita

12 hours ago, MOB said:

Even if he sadly wasn't here for the announcement, rest assured Greg knew all about this project and was delighted that it was happening. The last time Jeff and I were with Greg was at Gen Con last year, and he knew we were going directly from there to Dublin to initiate the computer game partnership with Black Shamrock. Greg was also aware that some of the people we're working closely with on the computer game are hard core RQ/Glorantha fans with a deep understanding and love of the setting.

So what type of game is it going to be?

On 3/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, styopa said:

Yes.

Edit: it's less about the audience as about a talented, dedicated person to drive the project.  I've seen fantastic things with no audience...it's all about the passion.

Well, to put out a high quality game that's close to what the fans want in anything like a timely manner, you need a team of highly motivated and highly skilled fanboys. And that's hard to assemble at any time. Just ask the people who are actual fans of, say, Star Wars or Star Trek who tried to put out a quality product. And by 'quality' I mean a solid story that's engrossing, entertaining, and agrees with canon as well as having excellent technical elements and doesn't crash all the time. That's a tall order for anybody.

And just to add to all that, the deeper the canon-lore, the more critical the fan base. For all the commercial success of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy [and especially his Hobbit trilogy], many of his directorial decisions were widely criticized by fans. The same goes with the games in the franchise... Shadow of Mordor /Shadow of War were visually beautiful with a rather unique and interesting storyline and mechanics, but were lambasted by the fan base. All of this is why Cyberpunk 2077 has taken so long to produce and the studio has been adamant its 'it'll be released when it's done' stance. I also think that is one reason why Traveller hasn't seen a big-budget game.

I mean, could you imagine the fannish microscope if anyone were to announce a Warhammer 40K big budget film?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, MOB said:

Even if he sadly wasn't here for the announcement, rest assured Greg knew all about this project and was delighted that it was happening. The last time Jeff and I were with Greg was at Gen Con last year, and he knew we were going directly from there to Dublin to initiate the computer game partnership with Black Shamrock. Greg was also aware that some of the people we're working closely with on the computer game are hard core RQ/Glorantha fans with a deep understanding and love of the setting.

That's great to hear!

On 3/13/2019 at 2:32 PM, Quackerjack said:

Virtuos does not appear to have extensive RPG experience, and most of what they've done is for consoles, according to Wiki. An RPG along the lines of the Baldur's Gate series or Skyrim might be challenging.

I always wondered, given the extensive modding for Oblivion and Skyrim, why no one attempted a Glorantha mod. Or, for that matter, why no one tried a White Bear Red Moon mod for Civilization. Look at the Fall From Heaven mods, for example. Is the audience for Glorantha really smaller than the audience for FFH??

Ken Rolston, an old Runequest writer, was the lead designer of Oblivion and Morrowind, so maybe it could be said that they're already Glorantha mods :)

2 hours ago, svensson said:

Well, to put out a high quality game that's close to what the fans want in anything like a timely manner, you need a team of highly motivated and highly skilled fanboys. And that's hard to assemble at any time. Just ask the people who are actual fans of, say, Star Wars or Star Trek who tried to put out a quality product. And by 'quality' I mean a solid story that's engrossing, entertaining, and agrees with canon as well as having excellent technical elements and doesn't crash all the time. That's a tall order for anybody.

And just to add to all that, the deeper the canon-lore, the more critical the fan base. For all the commercial success of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy [and especially his Hobbit trilogy], many of his directorial decisions were widely criticized by fans. The same goes with the games in the franchise... Shadow of Mordor /Shadow of War were visually beautiful with a rather unique and interesting storyline and mechanics, but were lambasted by the fan base. All of this is why Cyberpunk 2077 has taken so long to produce and the studio has been adamant its 'it'll be released when it's done' stance. I also think that is one reason why Traveller hasn't seen a big-budget game.

I mean, could you imagine the fannish microscope if anyone were to announce a Warhammer 40K big budget film?

I have some vague recollection that Traveller had some proper studio made games in the early 90s.

1 hour ago, Brootse said:

I have some vague recollection that Traveller had some proper studio made games in the early 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy

It was fun, for the time.  Combat was so damned fast players had little chance, I think that was the biggest beef.

It's available for download as abandonware https://www.myabandonware.com/game/megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy-y7 I'd love to hear that someone got it to run on Win10.

Curious nota bene: For a year I had permission from Marc Miller personally to explore the development of a Traveller MMO.  Pretty sure I kept the letter, as a trinket of what could have been.  I couldn't make it happen, as we had 4 children under 6 at the time, as well as having a full time job that (despite my love for it generally) was not computer programming.  

I *still* think it's an IP absolutely ripe for MMO play, planets being essentially server shards, with in-space activity spawned as instances that could conceivably merge.  As a proof of concept, more than anything, I'd built a 100t Scout/Courier, as well as the Far Trader Marava (complete with working iris valves, hatches, and some basic textures) in QERadiant (Quake2's engine) that you could run around in, climb ladders, shoot stuff.  That's about as far as I got, my next big project was going to be a full-fledged Kinunir with grav-shaft elevators and everything.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, styopa said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy

It was fun, for the time.  Combat was so damned fast players had little chance, I think that was the biggest beef.

It's available for download as abandonware https://www.myabandonware.com/game/megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy-y7 I'd love to hear that someone got it to run on Win10.

Curious nota bene: For a year I had permission from Marc Miller personally to explore the development of a Traveller MMO.  Pretty sure I kept the letter, as a trinket of what could have been.  I couldn't make it happen, as we had 4 children under 6 at the time, as well as having a full time job that (despite my love for it generally) was not computer programming.  

I *still* think it's an IP absolutely ripe for MMO play, planets being essentially server shards, with in-space activity spawned as instances that could conceivably merge.  As a proof of concept, more than anything, I'd built a 100t Scout/Courier, as well as the Far Trader Marava (complete with working iris valves, hatches, and some basic textures) in QERadiant (Quake2's engine) that you could run around in, climb ladders, shoot stuff.  That's about as far as I got, my next big project was going to be a full-fledged Kinunir with grav-shaft elevators and everything.

Yeah, I played that game too. Enjoyed it until it the combats. Darn shame the Traveller universe wasn't better represented.

It looks like Jeff and MoB have done their homework; that gives me more confidence. As Svensson points out, RPGs are hard to do well. I'm willing to sacrifice some Canon in order to see the Giant Cradle in-game. Or the Bat ... or the City of Wonders ... or Pavis ... the list goes on.

• Like 1

It would be amazingly cool to wander the streets of Pavis in 1st person. To walk up to the gates of Clearwine or see those painted cave walls from the rule book, in the light of the setting Yelm.

Or pretty much any other place in Glorantha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jarulf said:

It would be amazingly cool to wander the streets of Pavis in 1st person. To walk up to the gates of Clearwine or see those painted cave walls from the rule book, in the light of the setting Yelm.

Frankly, just being able to actually play some version of RuneQuest out here in the sticks and despite my general isolation and physical handicap will be a joy.

Whether it's a MMO or classical online RPG or a pure local simple PC-based RPG is entirely secondary -- though I still hope it's a MMO.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much done with the whole MMO thing, but then I've been mucking about with them since Ultima Online and EQ1, so...

That's no hack on those who enjoy them, but I find the constant grind without a story and trying to find a decent PUG to take care of the mandatory raid content to be a real detraction from my personal experience. When I get into a game, I enjoy the story and the personal epic and 'Barrens chat' [and every game has someplace like that] just gets in the way of that for me.

And to be honest, I have more than a little bit of troll in me ;) If I get annoyed with somebody enough, I can turn into a complete online jerk. So, I don't put myself into those situations. I think of it as a public service... lol!

Again, for those who enjoy the more social aspects of gaming, Mazel Tov! and enjoy. Do your thing and have fun doing it.

I am thrilled that RQ is finally getting some RPG computer game love. Dave Dunham's KODP is wonderful game, but oftentimes it leaves me hungry for a more personal experience in Glorantha. I'm looking forward to further details.

But first, Cyberpunk 2077 and maybe Elder Scrolls 6... by the time I've devoured those, RQVG [RuneQuestVideoGame] ought to be about ready.

6 hours ago, jarulf said:

Yeah watching Krogar Wolfhelm stare daggers at Jotoran Longsword at Gimpy's would be just plain awesome.

Or putting a party together on a private server and running the The Giant's Cradle... I really can see it in my mind's eye.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jarulf said:

I'm suddenly curious what the music will be like.

OK, this guy really, really overplays it, but here is about 4 minutes of the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumerian played on a period lute-like instrument called a gishgudi. Inasmuch as Gilgamesh is the spiritual ancestor of Glorantha and one of Greg's major influences, it's worth a listen.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, svensson said:

OK, this guy really, really overplays it, but here is about 4 minutes of the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumerian played on a period lute-like instrument called a gishgudi. 

That's pretty cool actually, thanks.

Just add some Orlanthi bagpipes and Uz percussion, and the band's ready to go on tour.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the handle music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svensson said:

OK, this guy really, really overplays it, but here is about 4 minutes of the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumerian played on a period lute-like instrument called a gishgudi. Inasmuch as Gilgamesh is the spiritual ancestor of Glorantha and one of Greg's major influences, it's worth a listen.

Might have much to do with my love of bombastic over the top prog rock such as ELP or Yes but have to say I disagree. Not over the top at all. That was frigging awesome. Don't know if the obvious arabic take is canon—how ancient is that style—but it sure sounds ancient and even if not,,, WOW! I like!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
pur spelin an d claratee
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

@jarulf @Bill the barbarian

I'm glad you guys liked it. I didn't care for Pringle's [the artist] presentation style, but that's just my taste. That aside, I am deeply impressed with whole thing. Learning a dead language to the extent that you can perform its national mythological cycle worthy of respect and I absolutely do. And I think that some familiarity with Gilgamesh is something that many gamers generally lack. We all have some notion of the Elder Eddas, King Arthur, Beowulf, and the Greek myths [at least as told by Edith Hamilton], but far less of the actual myths of Egypt, of Rustam, of the actual gods such as Bel and Ishtar [as they were actually worshipped, Conan novels aside] etc.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, svensson said:

OK, this guy really, really overplays it,

Honestly?  I wouldn't say he does.  Certainly the modern amplification is played to effect here, but I fully believe (the best) professional musicians of the time would totally have delivered it just as emotively.

BTW thanks, totally using that in my next game.

Edited by styopa
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, styopa said:

For those wanting an ESSENTIAL feeling of Glorantha, I'll just remind you there's a terrific game already out there today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/352220/King_of_Dragon_Pass/

King of Dragon Pass is outstanding, entertaining, fairly hard, and above all quintessentially Glorantha.

And for those of you with Apple systems, Dave Dunham has released a sequel of KODP called Six Ages, link below

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, svensson said:

I'm glad you guys liked it. I didn't care for Pringle's [the artist] presentation style, but that's just my taste.

Taste is so subjective that while I love a good debate on art I refuse to pin much weight to it. But, in any case very nice!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Taste is so subjective that while I love a good debate on art I refuse to pin much weight to it. But, in any case very nice!

Absolutely. I think I would have preferred to hear more of the story instead of his 'gishgudi solo' :) But at the end of the day, I am a better historian and gamer from having heard this and knowing that it exists. Whatever criticism I may have about it is surpassed by my respect for the scholarship.

6 minutes ago, svensson said:

Absolutely. I think I would have preferred to hear more of the story instead of his 'gishgudi solo' :) But at the end of the day, I am a better historian and gamer from having heard this and knowing that it exists. Whatever criticism I may have about it is surpassed by my respect for the scholarship.

There is s a Beowulf out there delivered in middle English  by Benjamin Bagby  in classic garb accompanying himself with a saxon harp... Thing else, no sets, nothing but costume harp and voice. Evokes Hallarax the Singer of Pavis riverside for me.

Cheers

• Like 1