Runequest video game

Noita

On 3/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, svensson said:

It comes in pints?

I had a Giant Broo, Son of Thed and the Devil, who had an Ability of "Comes in gallons", but maybe not in the same way!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 19 March 2019 at 5:56 AM, svensson said:

DUCKS WILL BE A PLAYABLE RACE IN THE VANILLA GAME! ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE UN-GLORANTHA-LIKE! ;)

[Okay, I admit it. I'm not much of a Duck fan either, but if we can have pygmies on ostriches....]

And what's wrong with pygmies on ostriches may I ask? People are polite enough to out of scale Agimori and Highllama riders, but when Goodfeather or I rock up on and ostrich it's all 'shortchanged' jokes and cracks about feathers in caps. :)

17 minutes ago, Byll said:

And what's wrong with pygmies on ostriches may I ask? People are polite enough to out of scale Agimori and Highllama riders, but when Goodfeather or I rock up on and ostrich it's all 'shortchanged' jokes and cracks about feathers in caps. :)

Oh, c'mon!

Get yer head outta the sand and stop ducking the issue!

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Byll said:

Juuust gonna leave this here.... ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Heading for 6 months, and their website still doesn't have anything on it.... awesome.😕

You are aware how long it takes to develop a computer game? Just like with Call of Cthulhu, I wouldn't expect anything until about a year or so before launch.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jeff said:

You are aware how long it takes to develop a computer game? Just like with Call of Cthulhu, I wouldn't expect anything until about a year or so before launch.

I'm referring to mention... On their site, it doesn't even mention that they have the rights to the game, let alone any developers diaries, etc. 

There's just some vague reference to an RPG being done... 

A year??? Most games are in discussion perhaps 5 years before launching. 3 years is typical. 

59 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

A year??? Most games are in discussion perhaps 5 years before launching. 3 years is typical.

AAA games are typically announced only a year before or so, even though they have 3 to 5+ years of development. In the AA and indie world, it really depends a lot, but lately a lot of studios have been sharing less and less because of the potential/precedents for utterly toxic and violent backlash from angry gamers.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

34 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

AAA games are typically announced only a year before or so, even though they have 3 to 5+ years of development. In the AA and indie world, it really depends a lot, but lately a lot of studios have been sharing less and less because of the potential/precedents for utterly toxic and violent backlash from angry gamers.

Yeah, it really depends on the game..

But, there's an official announcement (as per this thread) which doesn't even get a mention on their site... 

Silence doesn't generate interest.

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Yeah, it really depends on the game..

But, there's an official announcement (as per this thread) which doesn't even get a mention on their site... 

Silence doesn't generate interest.

I have a suspicion (and I bet the videogame developers and marketers are really on top of this issue!) that in that particular world, there can be a downside of too-early an announcement getting negative buzz of the "yeah, they announced it YEARS ago, I think it's just vaporware at this point" sort of rumors/commentary.  The software world is big into accusations of "vaporware," I know...

The'll work on building buzz and interest when they expect they can produce a product at/near the apex of the interest-cycle they can generate... if that makes sense?

• Like 4

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

I have a suspicion (and I bet the videogame developers and marketers are really on top of this issue!) that in that particular world, there can be a downside of too-early an announcement getting negative buzz of the "yeah, they announced it YEARS ago, I think it's just vaporware at this point" sort of rumors/commentary.  The software world is big into accusations of "vaporware," I know...

The'll work on building buzz and interest when they expect they can produce a product at/near the apex of the interest-cycle they can generate... if that makes sense?

That's actually my point. By not having the announcement, it doesn't look encouraging.

45 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

That's actually my point. By not having the announcement, it doesn't look encouraging.

I think they dropped the "Glorantha" news over here, where we don't live and die by the Videogame Schedule.

They're not pumping the Videogame market because their news HERE was a couple of years before the timing THERE.

C'es ne pas un .sig

30 minutes ago, g33k said:

I think they dropped the "Glorantha" news over here, where we don't live and die by the Videogame Schedule.

They're not pumping the Videogame market because their news HERE was a couple of years before the timing THERE.

Insert obligatory joke about "Heroquest coming next year!" for decades.

• Haha 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

22 hours ago, Jeff said:

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

There was in fact a fair amount of communication about CoC...when it was actually progressing.

CoC was actually announced in 2014 for IIRC release in 2016.  Then it was moribund for what, 2 years? before being re-announced in 2016 for 2017 release. (Inference: in the 2 year span the game basically crashed and burned in the hands of Frogwares; the 're announcement' coincided with essentially a complete restart and handing over to studio Cyanide).

At which point, when it was actively, progressively being worked on, there was a trailer releases already for E3 2016, and another at the start of 2017 - ie clear progress and communication to fans.  In 2017 it was pushed to 2018, again with reasonable communication to fans.  It was finally released later in 2018.

In 2019 software no news from devs in any social media stream = dead project, functionally.  It may not be formally dead, but it's unlikely any meaningful progress is being made.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, styopa said:

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

There was in fact a fair amount of communication about CoC...when it was actually progressing.

CoC was actually announced in 2014 for IIRC release in 2016.  Then it was moribund for what, 2 years? before being re-announced in 2016 for 2017 release. (Inference: in the 2 year span the game basically crashed and burned in the hands of Frogwares; the 're announcement' coincided with essentially a complete restart and handing over to studio Cyanide).

At which point, when it was actively, progressively being worked on, there was a trailer releases already for E3 2016, and another at the start of 2017 - ie clear progress and communication to fans.  In 2017 it was pushed to 2018, again with reasonable communication to fans.  It was finally released later in 2018.

In 2019 software no news from devs in any social media stream = dead project, functionally.  It may not be formally dead, but it's unlikely any meaningful progress is being made.

You clearly know more than me. I guess I will stop working with the developers on it.

Honestly, when the licensor says there is a game in the works, why on earth do you feel the need to correct the people working on the game?

24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You clearly know more than me. I guess I will stop working with the developers on it.

Honestly, when the licensor says there is a game in the works, why on earth do you feel the need to correct the people working on the game?

I was merely correcting your implication that there was no communication about CoC until about a year ahead of launch.  That simply wasn't factually true.

You know, you'd expect the licensor would remember things like that, I mean ... since they're working with the developers and all?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Well that's a great logical argument!

(There's a technical term for it, but I've forgotten)

The point - one that appears to be deliberately ignored - is lack of any information is not a good sign, especially in the gaming industry where so many fail to come to fruition. Granted, even those that do get announced are liable to fail to appear (Or drastically beyond original... And updated... ETA).

But hey, if you think you know what the fans want better than the actual fans telling you, keep on doing what your doing. (I.e., Don't suggest Black Shamrock put up an announcement). As @styopa said, the trend for a while has been communication - not silence.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, styopa said:

Maybe some games are marketed in that manner during development, but in whatever experience I have here, stuff is only rarely communicated about when it's still at the Alpha stage (or earlier) ; and when so, and it's exceptional, it's very often because the developers and other creators find that feedback from the public & target audience at such an early stage would be helpful in those particular individual circumstances and for that particular title -- which very often will not at all be the case, sometimes not even from private NDA-protected select focus groups, and such feedback can even be detrimental as a time-waster.

Some games also require far more extensive playtesting than others, so that the marketing cycle will start earlier for such games compared to some others where a shorter and more internal cycle of testing may suffice.

Point is, all things are not equal in the world of games development, and it's very mistaken to suppose that they should be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, styopa said:

Yeah, and how's that been working out for the video game industry?  I don't feel a wealth of confidence eminating from the fan base in general.

!I!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green