Jump to content
Iskallor

Runequest video game

Recommended Posts

I got an email from chaosium saying that there will be a RQG video game made by Black Shamrock.

Cant find anything they have done before. Anyone know what kind of game and when it will be set?

 

Im praying that it wont be some sort of resource management game. No game is better than a bad game...

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver Masclef's Linkin Profile is here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivier-masclef-09464a2/

Black Shamrock's LinkedIn Profile is here: https://www.linkedin.com/company/black-shamrock/

Their website is here:  http://www.black-shamrock.com/

They profess experience in consoles which suggests action.

They were one of the companies that provided content for Starlink: Battle for Atlas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink:_Battle_for_Atlas

Seems legit...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, metcalph said:

They were one of the companies that provided content for Starlink: Battle for Atlas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink:_Battle_for_Atlas

Seems legit...

From Wikipedia

Quote

The game also features optional toys-to-life elements.

So we will be able to interact with our miniatures in the new Runequest game? Awsome!

Hey, what's that Broo miniature doing to to Buzz Lightyear?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I looked through most of the LinkedIn profiles and very few of the folks working there have extensive game experience. This could either be really good or really bad.

More optimistically, they are part of Virtuos which does have extensive experience and really a deal with Black Shamrock is a deal with Virtuos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuos

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also cautiously optimistic. I've been hoping for one for ages, but have also been afraid it wouldn't do Glorantha justice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm one of those freaks who is pretty picky about his games. I know what I like and I don't spend money on games that I won't like even if they're from franchises that I love. For example, I'm a huge fan of Fallout but wasn't even interested in either Fallout Shelter or Fallout '76. Strangely enough, I was even willing to give Mass Effect Andromeda a chance. I thought of it as the first book of a trilogy and was willing to see what the second 'book' had to say.

If The Glorantha Game is the kind of game I'm looking for, awesome. I'll be in waiting in line with all the other preorder honks. If it isn't, then I won't be interested. But I am happy as Hell that Glorantha is finally getting the game treatment it has coming and am looking forward to eventual announcement.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me also add that what I'm hoping for is an open-world single player RPG with a deep storyline.

I have visions in my head of adding clan tattoos to my character, buying spirit magic from my cult, having to quest for access to Rune magic, developing my character from a farm boy into a Rune Lord, all that stuff. I won't get it, but it's what I want to see.

And I'm not encouraged by the the whole toys to life thing. Jokes aside, I see a lot of that as just a thinly disguised microtransaction designed to nickle and dime players into paying to win. If I wanted that bullshit, I'd play EA's FIFA franchise.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The toys to live thing was just for that one game, I doubt it'd be included in a Runequest game

 

Edited by Richard S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, svensson said:

Let me also add that what I'm hoping for is an open-world single player RPG with a deep storyline.

Interesting. I'm kind of hoping it will be a multiplayer mission based game. I want to go down a 3D Snakepipe Hollow with my friends!

The problem with open worlds is they are by necessity not very big, and that will feel artificial. By not trying to make it open world, you remove the need for artificial barriers or fake scale.

World of Warcraft is an open world, the largest I've seen, and the entire world is only the size of a very small county.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Interesting. I'm kind of hoping it will be a multiplayer mission based game. I want to go down a 3D Snakepipe Hollow with my friends!

The problem with open worlds is they are by necessity not very big, and that will feel artificial. By not trying to make it open world, you remove the need for artificial barriers or fake scale.

World of Warcraft is an open world, the largest I've seen, and the entire world is only the size of a very small county.

I wouldn't mind a multiplayer mode either. Set up a team and hit the epic adventures would be fine. I also wouldn't object to a party based game like Baldur's Gate [etc.]

The problem with MMO open worlds is that you're trying to reduce the travel time between one point and another. For those of you who played EverQuest back in the day, remember the ridiculous run times in Western and Eastern Karana? Like 20 minutes of real time and two days of in game running down a road with absolutely no encounters.

But consider some of the current genre of really good open world games, like Witcher 3 for one example, and then imagine running around Sartar or Prax. Kinda awesome, right?

14 hours ago, tedopon said:

Hopefully it's open world and you can be a troll or duck.

Or a Sun Domer or Lunar or Praxian...

Brief bit of gamer history for me... In an RQ2 game well over a decade ago, I played a Rhino Rider Praxian who worshiped Orlanth. EVERYBODY else in my party made it Rune levels except me...even the Chalanna Arroy healer and we did not make life easy for him. No matter how hard I tried, no matter what I did, I could not get any sword skill over 85%. I must have erased a hole through three character sheets erasing check marks off 1-H [x] Sword Attack. And when you have three freaking sword styles [short-, broad-, two-handed] at 85%, you know the universe hates you :D

So the idea that I can play Grettir Windwander and his trusty Rhino, Windbreaker, in a computer game has a certain appeal

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I'm surprised there's been no announcement from Chaosium yet.

We told the people on the RQG preview list the news first.

Here's our official announcement:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogblack-shamrock-to-bring-beloved-fantasy-roleplaying-adventure-runequest-to-life-with-allnew-video-game/

1953520754_Chaosium-BlackShamrock.png.8b7ed216c964ee7c1157cdcfe09aeb55.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'll be happy with any RQ computer game but if they made a Triple A quality/scale game it would open Glorantha up to a whole new audience and that's what I'd really like to see.

Fun fact: Looking through some archives of mine I ran across the proposal to create a Glorantha/RuneQuest/HeroWars game that I sent Greg back in 1998. We had a lot of good conversations about it but ultimately we couldn't get enough investors committed on our side.  Looking at it now though it seems like it was a bit ambitious for the time, but it would have been a lot of fun if it had worked out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

The problem with open worlds is they are by necessity not very big, and that will feel artificial. By not trying to make it open world, you remove the need for artificial barriers or fake scale.

Pah.  Set it in the Rubble.  Problem solved!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I looked through most of the LinkedIn profiles and very few of the folks working there have extensive game experience. This could either be really good or really bad.

More optimistically, they are part of Virtuos which does have extensive experience and really a deal with Black Shamrock is a deal with Virtuos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuos

 

Virtuos does not appear to have extensive RPG experience, and most of what they've done is for consoles, according to Wiki. An RPG along the lines of the Baldur's Gate series or Skyrim might be challenging.

I always wondered, given the extensive modding for Oblivion and Skyrim, why no one attempted a Glorantha mod. Or, for that matter, why no one tried a White Bear Red Moon mod for Civilization. Look at the Fall From Heaven mods, for example. Is the audience for Glorantha really smaller than the audience for FFH??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a very good Glorantha mod for Age of Wonders Shadow Magic called Age of Glorantha (link).  I think it depends on motivation.  Good total conversion modders are out there, but they don't grow on trees.  I once aspired to make a Glorantha Civ 4 mod and asked Issaries for permission to start, at the time a console-style adventure game was also in pre-development, so for that reason Greg politely said no.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Roko Joko said:

There is a very good Glorantha mod for Age of Wonders Shadow Magic called Age of Glorantha (link). 

Wow! Who was crazy enough to do that huge amount of work on unit design and graphics, plus the original WB&RM map transformed into a Shadow Magic map? That guy must have been nuts. Oh, wait a moment... actually, it was ME.:D

Apart from this, there is one sad note to this. This was exactly the thing Greg had been waiting for years if not decades. I feel sorrowful thinking he did not get to see this announcement.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Apart from this, there is one sad note to this. This was exactly the thing Greg had been waiting for years if not decades. I feel sorrowful thinking he did not get to see this announcement.

Even if he sadly wasn't here for the announcement, rest assured Greg knew all about this project and was delighted that it was happening. The last time Jeff and I were with Greg was at Gen Con last year, and he knew we were going directly from there to Dublin to initiate the computer game partnership with Black Shamrock. Greg was also aware that some of the people we're working closely with on the computer game are hard core RQ/Glorantha fans with a deep understanding and love of the setting.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MOB said:

Even if he sadly wasn't here for the announcement, rest assured Greg knew all about this project and was delighted that it was happening. The last time Jeff and I were with Greg was at Gen Con last year, and he knew we were going directly from there to Dublin to initiate the computer game partnership with Black Shamrock. Greg was also aware that some of the people we're working closely with on the computer game are hard core RQ/Glorantha fans with a deep understanding and love of the setting. 

This makes me immensely more confident about it.  Plus I know you all have access to numerous computer game industry veterans to eyeball things if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Is the audience for Glorantha really smaller than the audience for FFH??

Yes.

Edit: it's less about the audience as about a talented, dedicated person to drive the project.  I've seen fantastic things with no audience...it's all about the passion.

Edited by styopa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×