Runequest video game

Noita

Christopher Tin, composer who does symphonic / world crossover music (probably best known for "Baba Yetu" the Civ4 theme) actually consulted with linguists to figure out most-likely pronunciations of a tiny bit of Proto-Indo-European, for his piece Water Prelude.  As I understand it, all the words are variations on water, moisture, wet, etc

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, svensson said:

the constant grind without a story and trying to find a decent PUG to take care of the mandatory raid content

Not every MMO has mandatory raids, and yes the ones that do are extremely annoying to solo in -- but yes, there's at least a degree of repetitious grinding in every online game I'm aware of ; mostly I think because of a persistent misunderstanding of game theory on the part of nearly every dev. The better games do at least try and make the grind as least repetitious as possible within that framework, but then again it appears that there are too many gamers in this world who positively prefer games that are boringly predictable.

8 hours ago, svensson said:

OK, this guy really, really overplays it, but here is about 4 minutes of the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumerian played on a period lute-like instrument called a gishgudi. Inasmuch as Gilgamesh is the spiritual ancestor of Glorantha and one of Greg's major influences, it's worth a listen.

That's extremely beautiful -- and similar in ways to the music of Classical Greek Antiquity. FAR better lyrics though !!!

Don't know if you've seen this :

Edited by Julian Lord
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:26 PM, MOB said:
On 3/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, Pentallion said:

I'm surprised there's been no announcement from Chaosium yet.

We told the people on the RQG preview list the news first.

Here's our official announcement:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogblack-shamrock-to-bring-beloved-fantasy-roleplaying-adventure-runequest-to-life-with-allnew-video-game/

Sounds good to me, but it's a pity I don't play video/computer games. 🙄

I hope it turns out really good and is exciting, playable and keep a lot of what we love about Glorantha.

However, what are the chances that people complain because a building in one scene doesn't fit Sartar, that a Dark Troll doesn't look right or that there are too many/not enough Ducks?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Sounds good to me, but it's a pity I don't play video/computer games. 🙄

I hope it turns out really good and is exciting, playable and keep a lot of what we love about Glorantha.

However, what are the chances that people complain because a building in one scene doesn't fit Sartar, that a Dark Troll doesn't look right or that there are too many/not enough Ducks?

Taking the nerd-factor of members of this forum into account: I would say high! ... 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Taking the nerd-factor of members of this forum into account: I would say high! ... 😉

There will always be niggles, but that won't necessarily stop playing people from buying/playing it. I will!

For me, 6 Ages and KoDP are too hard (yes, even on the Easy settings), and I prefer to customize my experience. Like using Worldbuilder in Civ 4. But that didn't keep me from buying the games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Many thanks - that is our aim!

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Is the Ecclesiarch a Rokari? What does a jack-o-bear do in the woods?

Edited by MOB
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, MOB said:

Is the Ecclesiarch a Rokari? What does a jack-o-bear do in the woods?

Aren't these the finer points of Glorantha we discuss over in the Glorantha forum?

(And what does a jack-o-bear do, in the woods or elsewhere?)

• Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

There is s a Beowulf out there delivered in middle English  by Benjamin Bagby  in classic garb accompanying himself with a saxon harp... Thing else, no sets, nothing but costume harp and voice. Evokes Hallarax the Singer of Pavis riverside for me.

Cheers

https://bagbybeowulf.com/video/index.html

Brilliant, he's got a great voice as well.

7 minutes ago, Joerg said:

(And what does a jack-o-bear do, in the woods or elsewhere?)

And, if nobody is left to hear it after he's harmonized and eaten them, did it even make a sound?

15 hours ago, styopa said:

And, if nobody is left to hear it after he's harmonized and eaten them, did it even make a sound?

Only noise -- "sound" is always only our own intellective interpretation of noise.

As for the sound of one hand clapping, I'd need to be physically there to demonstrate it for you.

But why is there Glorantha instead of nothing ?

Breath Of The Wild has ruined all other computer games for me. Until they start doing something similar to what BOTW did I'm probably going to find them lacking. Sadly, not all companies have Nintendo's ability to have several hundred devs working on a game for half a decade! BUT where Glorantha is concerned I think I will eagerly lap anything up. Where a game may lack BOTW's sense of freedom it can make up for it in story and atmosphere. I don't think I would mind being somewhat railroaded or to have a crude Hitbox if I was being led through Glorantha's incredible, uniqueness.  The richness of the world gives this game the potential to become as iconic as Skyrim or BOTW. I hope that happens!!

EdIt: I wonder what it will be called!?

Edit2: I checked out the website. The company are looking to employ devs for an "Action Roleplaying Game". That pretty much rules out an MMO imo. And  I think that is a GOOD thing.

Edited by goldenwheeldancer

2 hours ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Breath Of The Wild has ruined all other computer games for me. Until they start doing something similar to what BOTW did I'm probably going to find them lacking. Sadly, not all companies have Nintendo's ability to have several hundred devs working on a game for half a decade! BUT where Glorantha is concerned I think I will eagerly lap anything up. Where a game may lack BOTW's sense of freedom it can make up for it in story and atmosphere. I don't think I would mind being somewhat railroaded or to have a crude Hitbox if I was being led through Glorantha's incredible, uniqueness.  The richness of the world gives this game the potential to become as iconic as Skyrim or BOTW. I hope that happens!!

EdIt: I wonder what it will be called!?

Edit2: I checked out the website. The company are looking to employ devs for an "Action Roleplaying Game". That pretty much rules out an MMO imo. And  I think that is a GOOD thing.

Not to poo-poo on Breath of the Wild, but in this day and age, open-world games are a dime-a-dozen. A nicely directed, semi-linear experience has a lot to offer, especially for those of us who don't have 2-300 hours of spare time just lying around.

As far as I can tell, there are no details on the gameplay yet, and in my personal experience, speculating too much on these things almost always end in disappointment when the wonderful potential of imagination is inevitably reduced to a single reality, so I'll just see where this goes.

I hope they focus on making the game, such as it will be, well-crafted rather than big, though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joerg said:

May I politely suggest to relegate the All Ducks mode to an optional modus, or a mod?

DUCKS WILL BE A PLAYABLE RACE IN THE VANILLA GAME! ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE UN-GLORANTHA-LIKE! ;)

[Okay, I admit it. I'm not much of a Duck fan either, but if we can have pygmies on ostriches....]

• Like 1

Seriously, the Upland Marsh as a Sandbox to explore with your band of trusty, heroic Ducks would rock my shallow draft boat. Clearing out Duck Tower, becoming vampires and getting Delecti to help your people to over throw the hated Sartarites is just awesome orange sauce.

DLC could be the bogs of the Zola Fel, where you play Duck Bandits, who capture Raus and slow roast the annoying bastard over a soggy fire. Then take part in the assassination of Argrath as he takes his cradle cruise past their hideout...

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1