Jump to content
Iskallor

Runequest video game

Recommended Posts

On 3/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, svensson said:

It comes in pints?

I had a Giant Broo, Son of Thed and the Devil, who had an Ability of "Comes in gallons", but maybe not in the same way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soltakss said:

I had a Giant Broo, Son of Thed and the Devil, who had an Ability of "Comes in gallons", but maybe not in the same way!

Just gonna go with 'ick!' and leave it at that... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19 March 2019 at 5:56 AM, svensson said:

DUCKS WILL BE A PLAYABLE RACE IN THE VANILLA GAME! ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE UN-GLORANTHA-LIKE! ;)

[Okay, I admit it. I'm not much of a Duck fan either, but if we can have pygmies on ostriches....]

And what's wrong with pygmies on ostriches may I ask? People are polite enough to out of scale Agimori and Highllama riders, but when Goodfeather or I rock up on and ostrich it's all 'shortchanged' jokes and cracks about feathers in caps. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Byll said:

And what's wrong with pygmies on ostriches may I ask? People are polite enough to out of scale Agimori and Highllama riders, but when Goodfeather or I rock up on and ostrich it's all 'shortchanged' jokes and cracks about feathers in caps. :)

Oh, c'mon!

Get yer head outta the sand and stop ducking the issue!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Byll said:

And what's wrong with pygmies on ostriches may I ask? People are polite enough to out of scale Agimori and Highllama riders, but when Goodfeather or I rock up on and ostrich it's all 'shortchanged' jokes and cracks about feathers in caps. :)

Juuust gonna leave this here.... ;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Heading for 6 months, and their website still doesn't have anything on it.... awesome.😕

Shocked Face GIF - Shocked Face Not GIFs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Heading for 6 months, and their website still doesn't have anything on it.... awesome.😕

You are aware how long it takes to develop a computer game? Just like with Call of Cthulhu, I wouldn't expect anything until about a year or so before launch.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jeff said:

You are aware how long it takes to develop a computer game? Just like with Call of Cthulhu, I wouldn't expect anything until about a year or so before launch.

I'm referring to mention... On their site, it doesn't even mention that they have the rights to the game, let alone any developers diaries, etc. 

There's just some vague reference to an RPG being done... 

A year??? Most games are in discussion perhaps 5 years before launching. 3 years is typical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

A year??? Most games are in discussion perhaps 5 years before launching. 3 years is typical.

AAA games are typically announced only a year before or so, even though they have 3 to 5+ years of development. In the AA and indie world, it really depends a lot, but lately a lot of studios have been sharing less and less because of the potential/precedents for utterly toxic and violent backlash from angry gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

AAA games are typically announced only a year before or so, even though they have 3 to 5+ years of development. In the AA and indie world, it really depends a lot, but lately a lot of studios have been sharing less and less because of the potential/precedents for utterly toxic and violent backlash from angry gamers.

Yeah, it really depends on the game..

But, there's an official announcement (as per this thread) which doesn't even get a mention on their site... 

 

Silence doesn't generate interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Yeah, it really depends on the game..

But, there's an official announcement (as per this thread) which doesn't even get a mention on their site... 

 

Silence doesn't generate interest.

I have a suspicion (and I bet the videogame developers and marketers are really on top of this issue!) that in that particular world, there can be a downside of too-early an announcement getting negative buzz of the "yeah, they announced it YEARS ago, I think it's just vaporware at this point" sort of rumors/commentary.  The software world is big into accusations of "vaporware," I know...

The'll work on building buzz and interest when they expect they can produce a product at/near the apex of the interest-cycle they can generate... if that makes sense?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g33k said:

I have a suspicion (and I bet the videogame developers and marketers are really on top of this issue!) that in that particular world, there can be a downside of too-early an announcement getting negative buzz of the "yeah, they announced it YEARS ago, I think it's just vaporware at this point" sort of rumors/commentary.  The software world is big into accusations of "vaporware," I know...

The'll work on building buzz and interest when they expect they can produce a product at/near the apex of the interest-cycle they can generate... if that makes sense?

That's actually my point. By not having the announcement, it doesn't look encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

That's actually my point. By not having the announcement, it doesn't look encouraging.

I think they dropped the "Glorantha" news over here, where we don't live and die by the Videogame Schedule.

They're not pumping the Videogame market because their news HERE was a couple of years before the timing THERE.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, g33k said:

I think they dropped the "Glorantha" news over here, where we don't live and die by the Videogame Schedule.

They're not pumping the Videogame market because their news HERE was a couple of years before the timing THERE.

 

Insert obligatory joke about "Heroquest coming next year!" for decades.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jeff said:

You are aware how long it takes to develop a computer game? Just like with Call of Cthulhu, I wouldn't expect anything until about a year or so before launch.

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

There was in fact a fair amount of communication about CoC...when it was actually progressing.

CoC was actually announced in 2014 for IIRC release in 2016.  Then it was moribund for what, 2 years? before being re-announced in 2016 for 2017 release. (Inference: in the 2 year span the game basically crashed and burned in the hands of Frogwares; the 're announcement' coincided with essentially a complete restart and handing over to studio Cyanide).

At which point, when it was actively, progressively being worked on, there was a trailer releases already for E3 2016, and another at the start of 2017 - ie clear progress and communication to fans.  In 2017 it was pushed to 2018, again with reasonable communication to fans.  It was finally released later in 2018.

In 2019 software no news from devs in any social media stream = dead project, functionally.  It may not be formally dead, but it's unlikely any meaningful progress is being made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, styopa said:

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

There was in fact a fair amount of communication about CoC...when it was actually progressing.

CoC was actually announced in 2014 for IIRC release in 2016.  Then it was moribund for what, 2 years? before being re-announced in 2016 for 2017 release. (Inference: in the 2 year span the game basically crashed and burned in the hands of Frogwares; the 're announcement' coincided with essentially a complete restart and handing over to studio Cyanide).

At which point, when it was actively, progressively being worked on, there was a trailer releases already for E3 2016, and another at the start of 2017 - ie clear progress and communication to fans.  In 2017 it was pushed to 2018, again with reasonable communication to fans.  It was finally released later in 2018.

In 2019 software no news from devs in any social media stream = dead project, functionally.  It may not be formally dead, but it's unlikely any meaningful progress is being made.

You clearly know more than me. I guess I will stop working with the developers on it.

Honestly, when the licensor says there is a game in the works, why on earth do you feel the need to correct the people working on the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You clearly know more than me. I guess I will stop working with the developers on it.

Honestly, when the licensor says there is a game in the works, why on earth do you feel the need to correct the people working on the game?

I was merely correcting your implication that there was no communication about CoC until about a year ahead of launch.  That simply wasn't factually true.

You know, you'd expect the licensor would remember things like that, I mean ... since they're working with the developers and all?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jeff said:

You clearly know more than me. I guess I will stop working with the developers on it.

Well that's a great logical argument!

(There's a technical term for it, but I've forgotten)

The point - one that appears to be deliberately ignored - is lack of any information is not a good sign, especially in the gaming industry where so many fail to come to fruition. Granted, even those that do get announced are liable to fail to appear (Or drastically beyond original... And updated... ETA).

But hey, if you think you know what the fans want better than the actual fans telling you, keep on doing what your doing. (I.e., Don't suggest Black Shamrock put up an announcement). As @styopa said, the trend for a while has been communication - not silence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, styopa said:

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

Maybe some games are marketed in that manner during development, but in whatever experience I have here, stuff is only rarely communicated about when it's still at the Alpha stage (or earlier) ; and when so, and it's exceptional, it's very often because the developers and other creators find that feedback from the public & target audience at such an early stage would be helpful in those particular individual circumstances and for that particular title -- which very often will not at all be the case, sometimes not even from private NDA-protected select focus groups, and such feedback can even be detrimental as a time-waster.

Some games also require far more extensive playtesting than others, so that the marketing cycle will start earlier for such games compared to some others where a shorter and more internal cycle of testing may suffice.

Point is, all things are not equal in the world of games development, and it's very mistaken to suppose that they should be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, styopa said:

Maybe it used to be that way.  But the "we keep it under wraps until it's done" thing hasn't really been the model for video game development for a decade.  Now the model is more or less constant feedback, alphas, screenshots, dev blogs, update videos, reddit AMAs, marketing splashes...OVERcommunicating, if anything.

Yeah, and how's that been working out for the video game industry?  I don't feel a wealth of confidence eminating from the fan base in general.

!I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...