Runequest video game

Noita

On 5/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, Mugen said:

I don't think so. The appeal for BG3 was more "the game gives you an unprecedented number of options to face every situation", than "you can roll dice exactly like in D&D5".

There was also a lot of comments about the fact the game looked a lot like a 3rd opus of Divinity Original Sin, despite the 5e game engine.

Mugen, I've got better than 100 hrs into BG3, and it is very much like playing DnD5e. Certainly, there are some things the devs cannot do that live players can. That goes with the CRPG territory. But BG3 was the Game of the Year for 2023, sweeping the awards for every category it was entered in. It topped sales for the year as well.

HOWEVER, much as we would all like it to be different, RQ is not DnD. DnD has name recognition and an iconic status with the general public that RQ simply does not have. We all know this. What's more, RQ isn't in the Top 5 of the gaming public's awareness. I mean, for Christ's sake, Warhammer 40k is getting a frikkin' TV series! But they have put a lot more time and effort into computer gaming. However, I really do think it's time for RQ to step into the limelight and try and get that franchise identity, that fame with the general public, that all us fans crave. A successful CRPG can do that for us.

That means that Black Shamrock has its work cut out for it. I will probably buy the game just because it says RuneQuest on it. I suspect that I'm not the only fan who will do that. But for the game to be successful it is gonna have to hit with gamers who are not very aware of RQ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, svensson said:

Mugen, I've got better than 100 hrs into BG3, and it is very much like playing DnD5e. Certainly, there are some things the devs cannot do that live players can. That goes with the CRPG territory. But BG3 was the Game of the Year for 2023, sweeping the awards for every category it was entered in. It topped sales for the year as well.

Surely, but that's not my point.

My point is that when most people buy this game, especially outside the crowd of TTRPG players, they don't care it's a faithful adaptation of 5e. What they want and what they get is a rich game full of opportunities.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mugen said:

Surely, but that's not my point.

My point is that when most people buy this game, especially outside the crowd of TTRPG players, they don't care it's a faithful adaptation of 5e. What they want and what they get is a rich game full of opportunities.

And that is part of what I mean about Black Shamrock having a high bar to get over.

WE, the fans, want a faithful [or at least more-faithful-than-not] adaptation. We want Runes, passions, lore, cults, and so on. We want to see our favorite character brought to digital life.

But in order to please the CRPG crowd and the fans we want to recruit the game is going to have to be clear, concise, with easy to understand concepts combined with a deep plot and roleplay possibilities. That's tough to do when you have a ready-made market and popular name recognition, much less a new property with a product identity that tops out at 'oh yeah, that game...'

It'll take a pretty fine hand to get that done.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

Oh and by the way, I looked up Black Shamrock Games at black-shamrock.com and didn't see any mention of a RuneQuest game under the Our Projects banner. Further exploration of the site offers no mention of Chaosium, RuneQuest, or anything else.

This leads me to believe that the game is likely farther out than we think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, svensson said:

Oh and by the way, I looked up Black Shamrock Games at black-shamrock.com and didn't see any mention of a RuneQuest game under the Our Projects banner. Further exploration of the site offers no mention of Chaosium, RuneQuest, or anything else.

You may have also noticed that Black Shamrock doesn't really make games... they mostly make parts of games for other developers.  One of the only games they *did* make also doesn't show up on their website: Paranoia - Happiness is Mandatory, which was a huge flop.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for this RQ game, sad to say.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 3:14 PM, svensson said:

Oooh.... that's interesting... because I've seen it up there previously - like only about a month or two ago.

So, interesting that they've taken it down.... which makes me believe the game has changed status, from "further out than we think", to "dumped".

On 6/5/2024 at 3:09 PM, svensson said:

And that is part of what I mean about Black Shamrock having a high bar to get over.

WE, the fans, want a faithful [or at least more-faithful-than-not] adaptation. We want Runes, passions, lore, cults, and so on. We want to see our favorite character brought to digital life.

But in order to please the CRPG crowd and the fans we want to recruit the game is going to have to be clear, concise, with easy to understand concepts combined with a deep plot and roleplay possibilities. That's tough to do when you have a ready-made market and popular name recognition, much less a new property with a product identity that tops out at 'oh yeah, that game...'

It'll take a pretty fine hand to get that done.

I wonder if they can make a game that people can really get into, without the strong Min/Max that many players try for. And, for that matter, things like 'balance'. I currently find it difficult to imagine how an Eurmali would be effectively created and played in such a game (let alone a Barntar).

Meaning, I dread how they'll have to hack it to pieces - the important 'Runequest' and 'Glorantha' bits - to make a game that people will play.

24 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I wonder if they can make a game that people can really get into, without the strong Min/Max that many players try for. And, for that matter, things like 'balance'. I currently find it difficult to imagine how an Eurmali would be effectively created and played in such a game (let alone a Barntar).

Meaning, I dread how they'll have to hack it to pieces - the important 'Runequest' and 'Glorantha' bits - to make a game that people will play.

Well, we're 5 years past the initial announcement and we have gotten nothing official whatsoever from Black Shamrock.

As of just now [0530 PDT 10JUN24] there is nothing on BSG's website saying anything at all about either Chaosium or RQ. And let me point out that we're in electronic trade show season, where everything slated for Christmas is announced. And still not a whisper. I really do think that it is reasonable to infer that any news at all 2024 is a wash.

And since we have no information at all, any speculation about the game is just 'taking the counsel of our fears', so to speak. We can post what we want and don't want all we like but that won't even budge the needle on whatever the devs are working on.

Edited by svensson

2 hours ago, svensson said:

We can post what we want and don't want all we like but that won't even budge the needle on whatever the devs are working on.

Of course it won't. I don't think anyone's under any illusions on that front. And true, it might not happen, and that would be a shame, but I'm thoroughly innoculated against couldhavehaditis by now.

• Like 1

to be fair, when Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012, it took 8 more years before it saw release in 2020, and the only reason it got released in 2020 was as a nod towards the game that inspired it Cyberpunk 2020, even though it needed more time in the oven.  Honestly the way the world was set up, it should have been set at the latest between 2027-2031 (as each story arc is about 7 years, and the 4th corporate war ended in 2024, and a lot of the references make more sense if it happened more recently than almost 60 years ago.  But that would require explaining that CP2020 takes place in an alternate future that never happened, when the time line split in 1988 (release of Cyberpunk 2013)

The point is, it takes forever to make modern games, it ain't like the 80s and 90s when an amazing game could be made in a year.

Edited by Videopete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Videopete said:

to be fair, when Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012, it took 8 more years before it saw release in 2020, and the only reason it got released in 2020 was as a nod towards the game that inspired it Cyberpunk 2020, even though it needed more time in the oven.  Honestly the way the world was set up, it should have been set at the latest between 2027-2031 (as each story arc is about 7 years, and the 4th corporate war ended in 2024, and a lot of the references make more sense if it happened more recently than almost 60 years ago.  But that would require explaining that CP2020 takes place in an alternate future that never happened, when the time line split in 1988 (release of Cyberpunk 2013)

The point is, it takes forever to make modern games, it ain't like the 80s and 90s when an amazing game could be made in a year.

I'm also a Cyberpunk fan and, yeah, console users were *seriously* pissed about it's initial launch. I myself use a PC, but I totally get why console community was mad. OTOH, I have a lot for respect the way CD Projekt Red handled the debacle. They stood by their work, refunded people's money without complaint, and got to work fixing the problems. By 2021, most of the issues were fixed, and they added new features free of charge. And the release of Phantom Liberty put a lot doubts to rest. And they have not abandoned the Cyberpunk property the way that a lot of companies, EA for example, would have done. They're planned a new CP game after the next Witcher comes out.

It DOES take forever to make a modern game. And you absolutely don't want to have a game as full of game-breaking bugs like CP77 or, almost as bad, a game that came out with 'meh' reviews like Bethesda's Starfield. Either one of those results could sink any RQ game's future.

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Of course it won't. I don't think anyone's under any illusions on that front. And true, it might not happen, and that would be a shame, but I'm thoroughly innoculated against couldhavehaditis by now.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I'm very much at the 'manage your expectations' stage of the game.

2 hours ago, svensson said:

... I'm very much at the 'manage your expectations' stage of the game.

That sounds like a very odd stage for dev's to gamify...

🥸

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig