Sign in to follow this  
Tony B

7th Edition Quickstart Combat Question

Maybe these questions are answered in the full Keeper Rulebook (mine is on order), but because I am using the Quick Start Rules, I have some questions regarding this rule that needs clarification

Outnumbered: When a character is outnumbered by the opposition, the character is at a disadvantage. Once a character has either fought back or dodged in the present combat round, all subsequent melee attacks on them are made with one bonus die. This does not apply to attacks made using firerearms.

Using the text above, I would presume that if I had 1 investigator and there are 2 cultists attacking him, the lone investigator would be outnumbered and all subsequent melee attacks on him are made with one bonus die. My question is this: If I had 2 investigators fighting Yog-Sothoth for example, would Yog-Sothoth be at disadvantage and would my investigators get the bonus die?

Yeah, that's a question that only comes up when you don't have the full rules. The full rules would point out that "Some Mythos entities can never be outnumbered by investigators." You would need to look up the entity itself to find out if this exception applies or not.

But, assuming the opponent wasn't such a rare and enormous alien entity, just be sure you have noted that the rule states "...has either fought back or dodged..", meaning that this only applies when the character (PC) has already defended against an attack once (P.S. actually, there is another exception here too - if the PC has more than 1 attack, the outnumbering opponents only start getting their bonus die after the PC has been attacked more times than they themself have attacks, but since this is usually only ever 1 attack, it is a rarely applied exception). 

And also note that the phrase "the character is at a disadvantage" can be subjective to the situation. For instance, if there was a PC with really good fighting stats being outnumbered by (two NPCs) cultists with low fighting stats, the most likely outcomes to the dice rolls would be that the PC succeeds their opposed die rolls, and the NPCs fail their opposed dice rolls. And, because they are outnumbered, the PC gets the option to 'fight back' (or dodge) each time they are attacked, giving the PC 3 opportunities per round to attack with their superior fighting stats instead of only twice, which would have been the case if it was only a one-on-one fight. Sure, the extra NPC will get a bonus die when they attack, but being outnumbered has also meant that the PC has the opportunity to smack up the cultists all the more quickly!

Edited by Son-of-the-Furies

12 hours ago, Tony B said:

My question is this: If I had 2 investigators fighting Yog-Sothoth for example, would Yog-Sothoth be at disadvantage and would my investigators get the bonus die?

The additional information in the Keeper handbook is this:

Characters and monsters that have more than one attack per round may also dodge or fight back that number of times before the bonus die is applied. Thus a ghoul with three attacks can fight back three times before its attackers gain a bonus die. Note that some Mythos entities can never be outnumbered by investigators (see Chapter 14: Monsters, Beasts, and Alien Gods).

So generally when the mythos creature has more than one attack it will be outnumbered less easily.