White Bull Spirit Cult

Austin

Has anyone done a write-up for RQG (or any other RQ, I guess?) for Argrath's White Bull Society/spirit cult? Does anyone have suggestions for what Runes it would be connected with, and what Rune spells the White Bull would provide to worshipers? I'm looking at the cults of Black Fang and Oakfed (p.379) as examples, in part because I don't imagine that the White Bull is a "greater" spirit than Oakfed (and so wouldn't have a cult much beyond the scope provided in those writeups).

So far, I'm thinking the Harmony Rune makes sense, since the White Bull Society spans across a variety of Praxian tribes and societies. And then, following the models, probably the Spirit Rune as well--so any spells rolled would be on Harmony. Maybe Cure Chaos Wound, and Harmony or Inviolable? I could see it having the Beast Rune instead (or perhaps also).

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Just to be clear here, Argrath is the White Bull. The White Bull society worships Argrath. Read through RQG, every reference is to Argrath White Bull, not Argrath's White Bull. Members have a special rune that marks them as members (you can see it here http://www.princeofsartar.com/comic/72-both/). The White Bull spirit is Argrath's Fetch/HeroQuest Soul/Other. You join as you believe in him. The White Bull brokes no inter-tribal rivalry, get along or you'll likely die. The major benefit of membership is that you are part of a madman's adventure to the end of the world. I don't think you get any magic other than spirit magic of the shamans who are members, and the chance of seeing the world differently than you thought (illumination, but this is not an overt action. I'm sure Argrath understands the problems of forcing it).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 3/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Crel said:

Has anyone done a write-up for RQG (or any other RQ, I guess?) for Argrath's White Bull Society/spirit cult? Does anyone have suggestions for what Runes it would be connected with, and what Rune spells the White Bull would provide to worshipers? I'm looking at the cults of Black Fang and Oakfed (p.379) as examples, in part because I don't imagine that the White Bull is a "greater" spirit than Oakfed (and so wouldn't have a cult much beyond the scope provided in those writeups).

In our recent Argonauts Campaign, the White Bull was a spirit that was rarely seen. Anyone who sees the White Bull can sacrifice a point of POW to follow the White Bull. Anyone who follows the White Bull finds that their mount turns white when in the company of other followers of White Bull. Each Praxian Nation has a Sacred Society of the White Bull, but this is a Secret Society and is not commonly mentioned. Some followers of the White Bull won't even know about their White Bull Society, unless they meet another follower.

What the PCs did in my campaign, and what Argarth did in Glorantha, was to realise that the White Bull had followers in all Praxian Nations, so it allowed them/him to unite Praxians in a way never before seen. In our campaign, the PCs found that some Pentians followed the White Stallion and that the White Stallion and White Bull followers' mounts turned white in each other's presence, which helped re-establish a Pure Horse Tribe in Prax. Clearly that is non-canonical.

One of the PCs was embarrassed because he rode a zebra and a white zebra looks very similar to a white horse, so he always pointed out the white on white stripes.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Crel said:

So far, I'm thinking the Harmony Rune makes sense, since the White Bull Society spans across a variety of Praxian tribes and societies. And then, following the models, probably the Spirit Rune as well--so any spells rolled would be on Harmony. Maybe Cure Chaos Wound, and Harmony or Inviolable? I could see it having the Beast Rune instead (or perhaps also).

I gave it the Harmony and Beast Runes.

As for magic, I didn't give it any, it is more of a Brotherhood than anything else, a way for Riders to come together. In the pan-Praxian sense, it is a Brotherhood across the Nations, helping the Praxian nations to unite.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, David Scott said:

Just to be clear here, Argrath is the White Bull. The White Bull society worships Argrath. Read through RQG, every reference is to Argrath White Bull, not Argrath's White Bull. Members have a special rune that marks them as members (you can see it here http://www.princeofsartar.com/comic/72-both/). The White Bull spirit is Argrath's Fetch/HeroQuest Soul/Other. You join as you believe in him.

See, that doesn't gel with me, as the stuff I read indicated that Argrath united the White Bull Societies of the Bison and Sable Riders. However, I cannot find sources or quotes for that.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, David Scott said:

The White Bull brokes no inter-tribal rivalry, get along or you'll likely die. The major benefit of membership is that you are part of a madman's adventure to the end of the world. I don't think you get any magic other than spirit magic of the shamans who are members, and the chance of seeing the world differently than you thought (illumination, but this is not an overt action. I'm sure Argrath understands the problems of forcing it).

Hmmm, I can see that Argrath uses the White Bull Brotherhood for his own ends, which is fine. However, I still like the idea of the White Bull Societies existing before Argrath.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I can see that Argrath uses the White Bull Brotherhood for his own ends, which is fine. However, I still like the idea of the White Bull Societies existing before Argrath.

The White Bull spirit definitely existed before Argrath, they were likely tiny and secretive. The members were likely considered mad for their ideas of tribal harmony, that were verging on heresy against the raiding Way of Waha. Likely they were led by a charismatic Waha shaman. Due to its radical nature, the spirit was likely trapped away somewhere safe. I have the idea it was trapped somewhere like Asrelia's Dancing Jar:

In the Ginijji are the Monster Rocks, placed in a circle around a lightless pit. Inside the pit are seven tunnels, and down one of them lies the trail to The Dark Plenty. In the Dark Plenty is the Hut of Asrelia. Inside the Hut of Asrelia is the Dancing Jar.

Then you have to find your way, meet Maran Gor and her pig dogs, catch the jar, then wager something of your self as usual to dip in the jar.

Argrath knows the stories from the Bison tribe, so heroquests to free it.He returns with it on Orlanth's High Holy day in 1616 (aged 17).

You can find the White Bull prophecies on page 48 of Pavis GTA.

The White Bull Brotherhood is on page 55 of Pavis GTA, the runes are for HQG (Storm & Movement).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

21 hours ago, soltakss said:

What the PCs did in my campaign, and what Argarth did in Glorantha, was to realise that the White Bull had followers in all Praxian Nations, so it allowed them/him to unite Praxians in a way never before seen.

This is closer to what my imagination sees, too. I see the White Bull Brotherhood as expanded beyond just the Praxians (though it starts there) in my Glorantha. Sort of a spirit society which gives everyone following the White Bull (and therefore Argrath) a religious reason not to fall into old feuds and fights. But it feels more right to me that Argrath's the priest/shaman/whatever of the White Bull, rather than that he himself is receiving worship.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I always perceived the White Bull as an aspect of the Silver Deer, the uncatchable beast of prey, applied to the tribal beasts of Prax. The desirable beast for the herd that you just cannot reign in.

Except that Argrath did catch it, and possibly integrated it into his self (lacking a herd to integrate it to - a lesser parallel to what Harrek did with the White Bear spirit, which may have been in part an aspect of the same myth, although the non-hibernation and great ancestor aspects certainly are more important).

Telling how it is excessive verbis