Pavis GTA for a RuneQuest GM?

Bill the barbarian

Hmm I know this is not my usual stomping grounds, the HQ forums and all. But based on info gleaned here I now own both red cow modules and am very happy integrating all that Glorantha Goodness into my campaign.

Now, I was wondering, I already own RQ2's wonderful Pavis as well as Big Rubblein box set and the classic pdf from Moon Design to supplement it and make if searchable and to assist in creating player aids. Now the question; is would there be real advantages in having Pavis GTA to fill in the gaps of mythology, and add the HQ encounters (love the sartar companion's one page or more encounters/stories). Are there other advantages or new material in GTA that would make the purchase worth while? It 26 and a half bucks (cdn) which is a lot for a souvenir at the moment but perhaps I can add it to my wish list due to things it could add to an already great corner of the world.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

to fill in the gaps of mythology,

No changes there.

add the HQ encounters

You get Prax encounters (some familiar from Borderlands, some new IIRC), as well as Pavis encounters and special encounters (useful).

Are there other advantages or new material in GTA

The scenarios!

Rough Business - a good introduction to some of the Pavis factions and political intrigues

Purple Troll - stuck in the middle of a three-way feud including Griselda's gang and the Lunar Patroma's

Celestial Engine - a whole new expedition down to the Temple at Feroda - this time with a unique artifact to recover. 

Red Moon Rising - the centerpiece, and worth it for this alone. Forced into a Lunar HeroQuest, and continued into the Salt Mines in the Big Rubble. Lots of usable material and ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

Apologies for tangent but "Pavis GTA" had me scratching my head for a moment, I was imagining a video game: Pavis: Grant Theft Antelope

Dammit, Andy.

DAMMIT.

Now I have to create that scenario...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

Apologies for tangent but "Pavis GTA" had me scratching my head for a moment, I was imagining a video game: Pavis: Grant Theft Antelope

I will not lie and say that the thought had not occurred to me.
I blame eurmal...

12 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

...and apologies are neither required or even accepted.
I will state here and now that threads I have begun are inherently tangentially friendly!

Cheers

On 3/18/2019 at 10:39 AM, Andy Evans said:

Me too! And wouldn't it be awesome, a GTA game based on Pavis City? With the different street gangs, the corrupt lunars, and you as a Lanbril initiate, doing second-story jobs and stealing mounts to sell them to a fencer in Badside! :P

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 3

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

How many stars do you have to rack up for them to sick the Bat on you?

On March 17, 2019 at 5:18 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

So basically you both are saying that the scenarios alone and a few one page encounters/tales are worth the cash. How about how well they would cross over to RQ rules? Any views?

You would need to do some stat prep, but if you've got the Bestiary and the old RQ Pavis/Prax stuff they can mostly fill the gaps.

The big HeroQuest in Red Moon Rising will need some interpretive/adaptive work. Thnk through how you might leverage the passions and runc affinity rules. The masks should carry powerful passions as part of assuming the role they represent.

• Thanks 1

Ya know, some of these gems deserve a rich and fertile spot

(No Aygor, I did not mean throw them on the manure pile, bad henchman!
{slap. bash, crash, bof!, pow! and other sounds of gratuitous violence}).

Is there an easy way of copying the posts that deal with "Grant Theft Antelope ™ " over to the Video game thread. And really (bwahahahahah), just because I can, {lightning flashes, a thunder crack} should I?

On 3/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

So basically you both are saying that the scenarios alone and a few one page encounters/tales are worth the cash. 

Yes, in my opinion, it is worth buying for the scenarios alone.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

How about how well they would cross over to RQ rules?

As well as any HeroQuest scenario. The adventures are basically sound and works in both HQ and RQ. However, you will need to convert the HQ stats to RQ.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

JonL has already listed the work a RQ game master will have to do to adapt Pavis: GtA.

As far as I am concerned, I would just add that Pavis: GtA is a wonderful sourcebook. It holds the updated background one can find in Sun County, River of Cradles, Borderlands & Beyond and even more. So yes, this book is a pretty useful reference guide for a RQ game master, if you ask me.

All the Background, encounters, adventures and cults you need for a campaign in Pavis and the river of cradles is there.   ;)

Just now, soltakss said:

However, you will need to convert the HQ stats to RQ.

I think Soltakss is speaking about HQ1. He has already been spotted for that elsewhere in the forum. He thinks HQ1 game system when he reads HQ whereas many of us think HQ2 and HQG game systems.  :)

There are stats in HQ and there is none in HQ2 and HeroQuest: Glorantha. You will have to make up your owns. In my opinion though, the NPCs descriptions are good enough to give you a clear vision of the stats you will need for RQ. If you own the older RQ2 or RQ3 supplements, a lot of the NPCs are already in these books and can be used as themselves or NPC templates. If you only own RQG, the character creation rules are pretty good at pointing towards the appropriate stats you will need for a given NPC profile.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Corvantir said:

I think Soltakss is speaking about HQ1. He has already been spotted for that elsewhere in the forum. He thinks HQ1 game system when he reads HQ whereas many of us think HQ2 and HQG game systems.  :)

No, I meant HQ stats for scenarios, however it has been a long time since I looked at Pavis:GTA and it doesn't have any stats for NPCs at all, so rather than converting them you have to make them up. There are magic items that have HQ stats, though, so you would have to convert them.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

18 hours ago, SilverSeraph said:

Are this and the Sartar books ever going to see a reprint?

My thinking is that you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and ended up here but not knowing what book u are talking abut I am not sure where to send you.

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

My thinking is that you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and ended up here but not knowing what book u are talking abut I am not sure where to send you.

The Sartar Books are wonderful HeroQuest books for Sartar, full of good ideas, excellent scenarios and history of Sartar. Very useful for a RQ campaign set in Sartar.

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

The Sartar Books are wonderful HeroQuest books for Sartar, full of good ideas, excellent scenarios and history of Sartar. Very useful for a RQ campaign set in Sartar.

Ah good, I hate to think someone stumbled into our madhouse of a thread by mistake. Thanks Soltakss and SilverSeraph.

Hey, you guys aren't talking about the Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes and Sartar Companion books are you? If so, I concur heartily they are incredible and if I had not read that they were HQ on the each page I would not have noticed until I got to the wonderful scenarios at the back of SKoH and SC. I have had a quick look over these and figure I could run some of them without too much effort.

VERY SMALL SPOILER

The leaving the world Hero Quests though, I don't think can be translated. Maybe when the Game Master's book becomes available with it's HQ rules... The PDFs are doing me quite well at the moment which is good as it seems that SilverSeraph is correct. Chaosium doesn't seem to advertising the books—that I can see, anyway. 

I was gifted with these and RQ 6 a few years back alerting me to the fact that  things were once again stirring in Glorantha. These directed me to asking about the Red Cow books and well, like any junkie finding a new source... So far I have not been disappointed in using any of the above with RQ as a source, and I am looking forward to using the ideas in the scenarios (or whole, depending). 

Cheers

56 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The leaving the world Hero Quests though, I don't think can be translated.

Oh, of course they can!  While I expect the GM book will provide a lot more detail and insight, I've already been running and creating material that ventures into the Otherworld.

Use Worship during holy days to help facilitate the crossing (of course you need to get cooperation of temple priests). The myth will help guide the Crossing. If you're going into the Underworld you might need to fight Humakt (who will be a master of the sword with full use of Rune Magic) and either Humakt or the challenger must die to open the passage. (If a PC dies there, you have to determine if that means they are cut off from the Fertility Rune, or physically die - if the latter they can still journey along as a disembodied spirit.)  And so on. 

Encounters are still encounters (even if high-powered ones). The landscape may shift from scene to scene, flowing with few transitions. Failure is likely needed at key places. Etc.