So, about that pass...

LivingTriskele

My Avalon Hill Genertela book places the actual Dragon Pass just south of Wintertop, but the (I must say, very beautiful) map of Dragon Pass in the latest RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha book, displays a major road crossing the region further north (just north of the Koffer HIlls).

From what I've read, the pass south of Wintertop is supposed to be the ONLY pass that can accommodate large armies through this area, but this major road north of the Koffer Hills (seems to be a better thoroughfare).

I guess my question is this: which pass in the area is best suited for the movement of large armies? Thanks in advanced for any clarification. 

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

15 minutes ago, LivingTriskele said:

I guess my question is this: which pass in the area is best suited for the movement of large armies? Thanks in advanced for any clarification. 

According the the Gazetteer of Kerofinela and the Guide to Glorantha

The Five Passes through the Dragonspine are the only (relatively) easy places for a party of travelers to cross the Dragonspine. those passes are Belastran Pass, Dendrogi Pass, Dragon Pass,, the Harda Pas,s Trader’s Valley

Not saying this does not rule out armies but 

Dragon Pass: This gap in the Dragonspine Range, about 16 miles southwest of Wintertop, provides the easiest passage north and south through the region.

Hard Pass: Held by the hero Harda against Gbaji so not so good looking...

Trader's Valley: Also called the Wideway or Trader’s Way, this is the broadest gap through the Dragonspine Hills, north of Top Ear. It is the easiest route, provided no monsters spew forth from Snakepipe Hollow.

Neither of the other two seem likely...

from GtG page 183 and also from page 56 of A Gazetteer of Kerofinela and various other pages in A Gazetteer of Kerofinela. 

*added by me

Seems Trader's Valley might be a good choice, 

Just had a look at the map you mention, that road I believe is The Pavis Road which is a military road built by the Lunars for the Pavis Campaign. 
Hmm, (ding, ding,) I believe we might have a winner.

Unless the Pavis Road goes through the Trader's Valley it seems that avoiding the Dragonspine entirely is the wise choice for armies travelling north or south. Of course wise does not always win wars.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Man, I could not ask for a better, more detailed response. You're awesome, sir.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

12 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Just had a look at the map you mention, that road I believe is The Pavis Road which is a military road built by the Lunars for the Pavis Campaign. 

Not so much a road, as a dirt track. It isn't built to the same standard as the Tarsh Road, or the roads 'built' by Sartar and his heirs.

Throughout Time (and probably beyond) several sites in Dragon Pass have been repeatedly the scene of major battles, where geography conspires to make them inevitable battlefields.

Edited by M Helsdon

7 hours ago, LivingTriskele said:

Man, I could not ask for a better, more detailed response. You're awesome, sir.

Thanks for the praise but this area really shines when others get into it. M Helsdon's comment is perfect to illustrate my point.

I had not thought my comments to be in anyway definitive but simply a good start. I hope others will jump in and agree, disagree or add new thoughts as M Helsdon. With luck others will start putting in their 2 bolgs worth and not only will your question be answered but questions you did not know you had will also.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
spell checker refuses bolgs corrects to blogs;)

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Thanks for the praise but this area really shines when others get into it. M Helsdon's comment is perfect to illustrate my point.

There are several clusters of battles, and my fan book goes into them in some detail. What I can share is a map Jeff posted on the Glorantha.com site (the map is still there) which helps to demonstrate strategic features. Have taken the liberty of marking the location of the Dragon Pass.

Not marked is the significant trade road through Grazer territory stretching between the trading posts - it isn't of the standard of the Royal Roads, but is a potential conduit.

RoyalRoads.jpg

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LivingTriskele said:

So, how did the Lunars invade Sartar in 1602,
I would imagine down the Tarsh road through Alda-char and Dinacoli tribal lands and then across the Creek. Did any units cross the Dragonspine at one of the passes (other than Trader's Valley if that turns out to be our pass in question) or over (ie. the Bat)?

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

18 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So, how did the Lunars invade Sartar in 1602,

King of Sartar pages 116-117 is the best source: crossing the River south of Dwarf Ford, marching through the Dragon's Eye to Runegate, then to Duck Point, Wilmskirk, major battle at Caroman, and finally Boldhome.