Shopping advice

Tupper

I saw the 50% off sale notification, and thought it might be a good juncture to buy some RQ classic material, since it's compatible with RQG.  However, I'm confused about some items.  There seem to be two versions of a couple of the books, and I'm not sure which is "better".

Notably

"Borderlands" vs "Gloranthan Classics Vol IV: Borderlands and Beyond".  I *think* the latter contains all of the former, plus "Runemasters" and "Plunder".  Is there any reason to prefer "Borderlands" over "Gloranthan Classics Vol IV: Borderlands and Beyond" (apart from price)?

"Griffin Mountain" vs "Gloranthan Classics Vol II: Griffin Mountain".  I *think* the only difference is that the Gloranthan Classics version has more material added.  Is there any reason to prefer "Griffin Mountain" over "Gloranthan Classics Vol II: Griffin Mountain" (apart from price)?

Thanks in advance for any advice here!

I'd advise getting the Glorantha Classics versions. The old ones are neat and all but you get more bang for your buck with the GC versions, since they compile a bunch of related material in a single book. Pretty much the only reason to get the originals is nostalgia.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tupper said:

"Griffin Mountain" vs "Gloranthan Classics Vol II: Griffin Mountain"

Go with the latter.  There are some additional characters that appeared in the RQ3 Griffin Island, plus there's some text by Greg Stafford on how to run a campaign.  Only thing that you won't get will be the full-scale maps of Balazar and the Elder Wilds.  If you want those maps, then you'll need to go with the RQ2 reprint.

16 minutes ago, Tupper said:

"Borderlands" vs "Gloranthan Classics Vol IV: Borderlands and Beyond"

Latter gives you the added Runemasters and Plunder.  Also, the Plunder in the latter includes additional items that appeared elsewhere and are not in the original Plunder.

More nostalgia reasons than anything else to get the original RQ2 releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP:  Printed copy, or PDF, or both?

6 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

...  Only thing that you won't get will be the full-scale maps of Balazar and the Elder Wilds.  If you want those maps, then you'll need to go with the RQ2 reprint ...

I believe the full-scale maps will be Redbubble'd, so one could get (printed) maps that way... but CHECK my beliefs if this is an important point for you!

@Chaosium:  will hardcopies of the maps be available any OTHER way than redbubble, i.e. shipping by default with printed books ordered from Chaosium?

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

OP:  Printed copy, or PDF, or both?

The DriveThru sale is for the PDF versions only, and most of the titles of the Classic lines are available in this format only anyway.

29 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Go with the latter.  There are some additional characters that appeared in the RQ3 Griffin Island, plus there's some text by Greg Stafford on how to run a campaign.  Only thing that you won't get will be the full-scale maps of Balazar and the Elder Wilds.  If you want those maps, then you'll need to go with the RQ2 reprint.

I'm not so sure regarding the full-scale maps of Balazar and the Elder Wild being part of the Runequest Classic reprint of Griffin Island. With the Runequest Classic Kickstarter these maps were two separate PDFs independent from the main PDF (i.e. they are part of the main PDF, but not in full scale - and that holds true with the Gloranthan Classic version too). And the respective page for the Runequest Classic reprint does not contain any hint, that these maps are included.

But I may be wrong here ...

• Thanks 1

PDFs of the Classic Series 1-4 have a few layout problems, some pages of monospace type (courier?) art is sometimes a little less than perfect (money was saved) and I believe there was a little issue with some copyright material being made generic, but this last is from memory and I can not give you a source. Now I will admit I am being nit picky here but if these points matter or you are nostalgic you might want to go for the originals (especially in print for nostalgic folk). 

Otherwise, I would say bang for buck, special extras, and all other points made here weigh overwhelmingly to The Classics from Moon Design.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
spelin

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

To add to everyone's comments:

• Gloranthan Classics Cults Compendium includes a lot of cults from different sources, including some RQ3 cults, that are not in the Classics supplements
  • Gloranthan Classics Griffin Mountain includes stuff from Griffin Island that make for a richer campaign
  • Gloranthan Classics Borderlands includes things from other areas, but they are present in other RQ Classic supplements
  • Gloranthan Classics Pavis & Big Rubble puts everything into one place, I can't remember if it adds anything from outside Pavis or Big Rubble, but having everything in one supplement makes it better, for me

So, if you have loads of money then buy them all; if you are on a limited budget then I'd buy Cults Compendium and Griffin Mountain over the equivalent RQ Classics version; if you had to make choices of either RQ Classic or Gloranthan Classics then I'd say buy RQ Classics as there are supplements that have not made it into Gloranthan Classics, but be aware that you will be missing out on many good things in Gloranthan Classics.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here