Release of RQG delayed to next week

MOB

Sadly, due to an unforeseen processing delay at our US warehouse, we have had to postpone the print release of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha until next week. As soon as we receive confirmation the books are delivered and in warehouse inventory we will make them available for sale. We anticipate the new release date to be Wednesday April 3.

All purchasers of the RQG core rulebook, and of the PDF versions of the RQG Bestiary and GM Screen Pack will receive their coupons by email just prior to the release. Here's how that will work:

• We are providing coupons for individual books and combination ones for the slipcase sets.
  • We are only selling slipcase sets (containing core rules, Bestiary, and GM Screen Pack) and the individual books.
  • The coupons will offset those that have already bought a hardcopy of RQG - so in effect, if you've already bought a hardcopy of the rules, you'll be getting a second copy of the rules as part of the slipcase coupon deal. We are not selling partial sets, or empty slipcases due to the shipping challenges involved.
  • We will not run out of slipcase sets any time soon.
  • We expect there to be a need for custom coupons. Some people ordered different products with different accounts, and want to merge items. They will be processed as requested.

This will be our most complex coupon process ever, so we ask for everyone to please be patient!

https://www.chaosium.com/blogrelease-of-rqg-delayed-to-next-week

cao4028-x-web-covers.jpg.2dd5d7bb7c751c7fbfac357f36642593.jpg

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1

• MOB featured and pinned this topic
1 hour ago, MOB said:

The coupons will offset those that have already bought a hardcopy of RQG - so in effect, if you've already bought a hardcopy of the rules, you'll be getting a second copy of the rules as part of the slipcase coupon deal. We are not selling partial sets, or empty slipcases due to the shipping challenges involved.

assuming I am reading this correctly Skovari, I get the same interpretation. (tentative yeehaw!).

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 hours ago, MOB said:

• The coupons will offset those that have already bought a hardcopy of RQG - so in effect, if you've already bought a hardcopy of the rules, you'll be getting a second copy of the rules as part of the slipcase coupon deal. We are not selling partial sets, or empty slipcases due to the shipping challenges involved.

I've spent quite some time reading this over and over again. I can only conclude the same as Bill the barbarian and Skovari, but I can't help but think it sounds too good to be true, so it probably isn't. But if it is true, I take back everything I muttered through gritted teeth when I first read about the delay in release to  next week.

21 minutes ago, Sid Vicarious said:

I've spent quite some time reading this over and over again. I can only conclude the same as Bill the barbarian and Skovari, but I can't help but think it sounds too good to be true, so it probably isn't. But if it is true, I take back everything I muttered through gritted teeth when I first read about the delay in release to  next week. 

Yeah, when I read Skovari's comment I thought, man how could he get it so wrong? Until I read the third bullet he pointed to, ergo, tentative.  I would rather let rip a "yipee ky aii motherf*****," but I can wait for a little to do that.

Yeah I’m not entirely clear on the statement. It sounds like it goes against what rick said on the forum. Do we really get to offset the costs of the  corebook in the slipcase if we’ve bought the 1st printing? Very happy if that’s the case, but I shall hold back on celebrations as others have said until I’ve heard more from chaosium. 

If I understand this e-mail correctly, then I am very upset with Chaosium.  I feel I have been subject to a “bait and switch”.  I own a PDF rules, a leatherette rules and a regular hard copy rules.  i have PDF Bestiary and PDF GM Pack.

For this release I was going to add the hard copy Bestiary and GM pack and an empty slipcase to put my 3 hard copies in.  I feel that Chaosium has long stated that we could buy the empty slipcase later, and are now reneging on that deal.  Are we to be punished for trying to support Chaosium early, and purchasing items singly?  Too awkward to ship is a disgusting excuse!  You can put my two hard copies in the slipcase and pack the third spot with paper.  I was even considering purchasing another product which could have filled the void.

Come on Chaosium, you can be better than that.

6 minutes ago, Mac said:

If I understand this e-mail correctly, then I am very upset with Chaosium.  I feel I have been subject to a “bait and switch”.  I own a PDF rules, a leatherette rules and a regular hard copy rules.  i have PDF Bestiary and PDF GM Pack.

For this release I was going to add the hard copy Bestiary and GM pack and an empty slipcase to put my 3 hard copies in.  I feel that Chaosium has long stated that we could buy the empty slipcase later, and are now reneging on that deal.  Are we to be punished for trying to support Chaosium early, and purchasing items singly?  Too awkward to ship is a disgusting excuse!  You can put my two hard copies in the slipcase and pack the third spot with paper.  I was even considering purchasing another product which could have filled the void.

Come on Chaosium, you can be better than that.

If I understand MOBs post, if you have the ruleset printed, where you would have had a coupon for a slipcase and the other books, you're going to get a FULL slipcase (ie including another hard-copy of the rules) instead of partially-empty slipcase.  So you're getting another printed rulebook (ie the latest version) FOR FREE.

This hardly sounds like cheating anyone?  In fact, as the earlier posters here commented, it seems almost too good to be true.  Which is why we're awaiting perhaps restatement from MOB/Rick whomever.

• Like 1

My interpretation is that if you want a slipcase, you have to buy a full set, but you get your PDF discount even if you already used it to discount a copy of the rules.

So having bought all three PDFs, I need to buy a slipcase set at whatever that price is (is it announced?) with the discount for all three PDFs.

Calling it a bait-and-switch is harsh, but I can see how it can be seen that way. If their fulfillment people simply won't ship slipcases with spacers or gaps in them then I can't see what else they can do.

The option of just buying the books, and foregoing the slipcase, is available.

14 minutes ago, styopa said:

If I understand MOBs post ... you're getting another printed rulebook (ie the latest version) FOR FREE.

I think that is unlikely.

• The coupons will offset those that have already bought a hardcopy of RQG - so in effect, if you've already bought a hardcopy of the rules, you'll be getting a second copy of the rules as part of the slipcase coupon deal.

Hm. I see what you mean. Needs clarification, I think. We will know for sure at the very latest when the coupons arrive.

Of course if it is correct, the next round of butthurt will be people saying "What? I didn't buy a hardcopy, I waited for the full slipcase set!" Anyone saying that will get a 🤣 from me, be warned!

Edited by PhilHibbs

There are two aspects to the delay of the release. First is that we are still awaiting final confirmation that the RQ slipcases have been entered into inventory by the US warehouse (they have already processed the individual books, but it was two 40-foot containers worth of stock to get through...)

Second is we thought we had a clever plan to send partial slipcases, but it has proven a bridge too far for our fulfilment agents. Remember—we don’t do our own fulfilment. We work with others to get you your books. And sometimes our contractors want a bit more sanity than we do.

We aren’t blaming them, but what we thought they would be able to do proved logistically impossible. It is unfortunate, but in the big scheme of things delaying the release a week so that we can make sure the books get properly fulfilled is a no-brainer. As stated above, if you've already bought a hardcopy of the rules, you'll be getting a second copy of the rules as part of the slipcase coupon deal.

Important to note: We will not run out of slipcase sets any time soon. This will be our most complex coupon process *ever*, so we ask for everyone to please be patient! #WeAreAllUs

• Like 2

I am frankly pretty stoked that Chaosium will "double-apply" the coupons this way.

If anyone here feels like they are somehow being "cheated" by getting this extra copy of the rules, please let me know -- I am probably looking for an extra copy (or several) of the core book, and will likely offer you the full value of the core-book Coupon as buy-price...🤩

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Is it possible for us to at least get the official price tag of the slipcase set as well as what the primary 3 book coupon will look like? I want to pickup some of the classic PDFs on sale but I want to know how much I should be expecting to drop on the physical books before I do.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I am frankly pretty stoked that Chaosium will "double-apply" the coupons this way.

If anyone here feels like they are somehow being "cheated" by getting this extra copy of the rules, please let me know -- I am probably looking for an extra copy (or several) of the core book, and will likely offer you the full value of the core-book Coupon as buy-price...🤩

Who knows, maybe I will be able to do some deal with you.  I am presently trying to deal with Chaosium direct. I already have two full paid up hard copies, one being leatherette, so, as you may imagine, a third does me no favours.  There are other ways Chaosium can handle this hiccup, and I am waiting to see if they will resolve this like the upstanding people they are.  If not, maybe you can have all my RQ stuff😞

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, MOB said:

Sadly, due to an unforeseen processing delay at our US warehouse, we have had to postpone the print release of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha until next week. As soon as we receive confirmation the books are delivered and in warehouse inventory we will make them available for sale. We anticipate the new release date to be Wednesday April 3.

An old fart limps into centre of the market with a soapbox under arm. Chases away a few pigeons (much clapping of wings, a few heads turn to see the "to do").and then, with purpose, sets down the box, climbs upon it and looks about at the early morning setup of folks rushing about.. A few curious vendors stop to see what the mad old goat has to say. Clearing his throat he waits until the square settles and then...

His voice booms out!

"You have to feel for the boys and girls at Chaosium.

"Even had everything gone perfect, this would have been a hell of a week for the old company. However Orderium, they are not. Don't matter, they are gamers creating top quality games for (hopefully, top quality) gamers, They support us by working long unpaid hours (wish they did not have to, but....). We support them by keeping them in business by buying their product and because they not Hasbro, we even put in time helping to make the games better (that is the plan, right?).

"Trying to put up with our whining and moaning about how unfair the UNIVERSE is does not seem to make everything better. I don't know, I suppose we can start complaining a year before the game comes out but how crappy it will be if we are not listened to and then complain when it comes out and then complain, complain, complain...

"I wish things would go perfect but wasn't BRP and its ilk great in the early years. the mid years and even today? Perfect no! Do I feel ripped off because AH and Chaosium's deal went south taking RQ4 AiG with it.  Not even after paying AH prices for many (less than Chaosium quality) RQ3 products,   Being  an early adopter RQ G and being saddled with a first edition with errors (that has never happened before, well okay once or twice perhaps) one would think  that I could complain but why, There were people willing to pull Chaosium out of the mud a few years back by pulling out check books for product they might never have seen. Why, because they like what Greg's friends had done and figured that it might happen again.

"I will wait to see what is done with delays, misunderstandings, and hurt feelings.I have high hopes but realize that Chaosium is flesh and blood and will not scream to loudly should they fail. I don't think they will: problems with shipping due to complexities by trying to make everything right. No problems, carry on!  Should I come out a bit behind after the dust settles, all considered I might still be happy, I am as of now... Hell, I have been hosed by bigger and better companies in far harsher ways before, and I am  sure I am not being hosed now. I am not ready to call CBC's "Market Place" or a government ombudsmen (hell not even the BBB or the boy scouts).  Patience, let's see what happens.

"I think Chaosium is doing just fine,"

Climbs off soap box, brushes off the odd bit of flung vegetation from his clothing and with his box under his arm leaves,  the jeers of the street urchins ringing in his ears.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm not too upset at the chance of getting a free/discounted 2nd core rulebook. My kids already damaged the binding of the hardcopy I bought when they were first available. Now I'll either have two for use at home or I can pass a rulebook along to one of my friends (and maybe recruit another player!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MOB said:

want a bit more sanity than we do

do they realise who they are dealing with? 😉

Does the leatherette edition come in the slipcase? Or would they be individually purchased? 

Selfishly disappointed at the delay, but all in all a good call from Chaosium - 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

Hope this won't be too much of a financial hit for Chaosium.

My feeling exactly. I can't believe they're going to give all of us who've bought the PDF Bestiaries and GM Packs and a Hardcover Rules an extra set of rules for FREE. I do kind of like the idea, but... the product sells for $55. Assume the cost is about half of that and they're losing around $25-30 a sale. I'm thinking I've mis-read it and they're just going to give us the pdf discount on the rules again. Which means we'll get a second copy of the rules for $30, a bargain still, but hopefully one that doesn't lose Chaosium money (though they'd probably not make any on that.)

4 hours ago, DerKrieger said:

Is it possible for us to at least get the official price tag of the slipcase set as well as what the primary 3 book coupon will look like? I want to pickup some of the classic PDFs on sale but I want to know how much I should be expecting to drop on the physical books before I do.

SRP for the slipcase has been known since 1st of October. Juste a quick search on a search engine leads for example to:
https://acddistribution.blogspot.com/2018/10/new-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha.html
And for coupons value, easy to guess: just add what you paid for pdfs or divide RSP by half if you bought all 3.
Anyway, it's cheap for the content!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mac said:

Who knows, maybe I will be able to do some deal with you.  I am presently trying to deal with Chaosium direct. I already have two full paid up hard copies, one being leatherette, so, as you may imagine, a third does me no favours.  There are other ways Chaosium can handle this hiccup, and I am waiting to see if they will resolve this like the upstanding people they are.  If not, maybe you can have all my RQ stuff😞

You're in a pretty unique situation, having already bought 2 copies. I imagine they'll try and help you if they can.  But imo it's a little harsh to start out expecting disappointment.  Why? Have they actually disappointed you already?