What's the best forum for 13A or 13G? (anywhere; not findng much discussion)

Quackerjack

There isn’t much discussion of 13th age as a whole. No idea why, it’s a fun system. It’s definitely not the same place as what most d100 systems are though. 

Im a long time fan of 13th age and just picked up 13th age Glorantha. My players reading over it commented on how very dense each class was. 

• Like 1

I have yet to play a game of 13A or G, but as for forum activity, I suggest you just start asking questions or opinions. Usually some discussion will result.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I’m having the same problem. There’s some discussion on MeWe, but little of it 13G (and I only got 13A for 13G, but it looks like a fun system). 

We did character creation together and, man, that was a slog. I began questioning whether RQ or HQ wouldn’t have been easier (systems I’m more familiar with, but the group balks at). I wish they had put all the class info in the book at least. Passing all those books around was a bummer. 

Edited by KingofElfland
  • Like 2

I found a handful of candidates by searching for "13th age forums". Pelgrane and RPGGeek seem to have one each, for instance. 

I bought 13G at the recent sale, by the way. I really like the feel, quite different from either HQ or RQ. I got it mostly for inspiration rather than playing, so I think I  can make do without 13A for the time being.

If I were the publisher, I'd commission an adventure or two next and develop a reasonable adventure starting point, perhaps in the Shadows Dance area since Uz seem so prominent in the rules. I might do the same myself if I were to run a campaign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The God Learner said:

If I were the publisher, I'd commission an adventure or two next and develop a reasonable adventure starting point, perhaps in the Shadows Dance area since Uz seem so prominent in the rules. I might do the same myself if I were to run a campaign. 

D101 Games is doing some work along this line.  See their plans for Hearts in Glorantha issue #8

https://mailchi.mp/ee04e5980846/the-news-from-d101-games-for-march-2019?fbclid=IwAR3msyWTjH2x4HIym-quM6JQPpZTzUG-MceVp2n7EfnOb2xZQDUKjHqTjVE

@Newt may be able to provide some additional comments on good places to discuss 13G.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The God Learner said:

I found a handful of candidates by searching for "13th age forums". Pelgrane and RPGGeek seem to have one each, for instance. 

I bought 13G at the recent sale, by the way. I really like the feel, quite different from either HQ or RQ. I got it mostly for inspiration rather than playing, so I think I  can make do without 13A for the time being.

Pelgrane no longer hosts forums (I’m not sure why, perhaps the same reason C7 does not). 

10 hours ago, KingofElfland said:

We did character creation together and, man, that was a slog. I began questioning whether RQ or HQ wouldn’t have been easier (systems I’m more familiar with, but the group balks at). I wish they had put all the class info in the book at least. Passing all those books around was a bummer. 

Y there are so many modifiers I need a spreadsheet (especially once you include HQ gifts). To reduce the complexity of having to choose between feats, I just give PCs all the feats for their level. It helps, and it means you immediately get a full heapin' helpin' of Humakti flavor, eg.

But if you use the tables for each class (p 170 for the Humakti), you can quickly create a character of any level. 

I've attached an excel character sheet example. this one is statless, but it is easy to go back to stats

Baldi LVL 7 statless Ver01.xlsx

• Like 2

@Joerg has kindly pointed out that I posted the request for Triff to create a 13th Age Glorantha forum in the 13th Age Glorantha forum.

Either I must be prescient after the event, or an idiot. You can decide.

Anyway, Joerg very kindly PMed be, maybe so as not to embarrass me, thanks Joerg. Fortunately, I am almost incapable of embarrassment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

D101 Games is doing some work along this line.  See their plans for Hearts in Glorantha issue #8

https://mailchi.mp/ee04e5980846/the-news-from-d101-games-for-march-2019?fbclid=IwAR3msyWTjH2x4HIym-quM6JQPpZTzUG-MceVp2n7EfnOb2xZQDUKjHqTjVE

@Newt may be able to provide some additional comments on good places to discuss 13G.

I would suggest kicking off forum posts here, because the forum exists and has the eyes of Gloranthafans and Chaosium :)

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

23 hours ago, Raleel said:

There isn’t much discussion of 13th age as a whole. No idea why, it’s a fun system. It’s definitely not the same place as what most d100 systems are though. 

Im a long time fan of 13th age and just picked up 13th age Glorantha. My players reading over it commented on how very dense each class was. 

This is one of my niggles with it. For my first run of Heights of Orlanth, a simple convention scenario for 2nd level, I ran it using my mate Guy Milner's set of 5 pre-gens. These are published in Hearts in Glorantha #7 (plug, plug) and are pretty straightforward - Guy's avoided the classes that are highlighted in the rulebook as being complex (the Berserkers, the Hell Mother class etc). I needed a sixth pc, so naively I set about creating a Humakti, which on the face of it should be a fighter with a few feats regarding Swords. Turns out that while the other characters can be summarised in one page, so all the necessary info is there so the player doesn't need to refer to the rulebook in play, the Humakti takes up two pages. Turns out that they like Swords a lot ::D

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KingofElfland said:

Double booking is another niggle with it. For the con games I run,  I've got around it by having all the character's feats with the explanatory text on their character sheet, a handy thing of cutting and pasting info from pdf of 13th Age G and the 13th Age SRD. I found then the game sings with players of varying familiarity with the system and/or setting. The organisation of the 13th Age Rule book, however, is more like a colour coded well-formatted collection of Rob's notes of his Hack of 13th Age (with occasional comments/input by Jonathan Tweet). As long as I bear that in mind while decodng it I'm good :D  Being posistive its a collection of rules-hacks/notes that covers a fearsome amount of Gloranthan ground and once put together with the base game produces a Maximum Fun Game :)

• Like 3

It's a lot easier to start with level 1 characters and have them level every session or two with an act break of time passing.

13A is designed to be played something like that anyway, although once you learn how things work better you can adjust the advancement to your liking.

All the skills and feats are really difficult to parse at first, but after you go through the leveling process a couple times it becomes pretty straightforward.

I'll be running most of the 13G sessions at GenCon this year if anyone wants to stop by and chat.

• Like 2

121/420

Well, Quack, this is for the most part an old RQ grog board. In my observation, there's a whole bunch of discussion about Glorantha trivia that seems to creep in to a lot of discussions. As an old grog in several games myself, I very much appreciate the existence of a portal to ask the deep lore questions of the devs and writers.

But that doesn't solve your problem much, does it?

Have you looked in the 13th Age publisher forums? You might find what you're looking for there.

Also, we don't do the rune/icon rolls like the book states.

Everyone rolls all their runes as you would for icons in regular 13A. 

Someone also rolls a "Theme Rune" for the session that is basically how 13G applies it to an individual, but it's for the whole group/adversaries.

Edited by tedopon
spelling
  • Like 2

121/420

6 minutes ago, svensson said:

Well, Quack, this is for the most part an old RQ grog board. In my observation, there's a whole bunch of discussion about Glorantha trivia that seems to creep in to a lot of discussions. As an old grog in several games myself, I very much appreciate the existence of a portal to ask the deep lore questions of the devs and writers.

But that doesn't solve your problem much, does it?

Have you looked in the 13th Age publisher forums? You might find what you're looking for there.

As stated further up, the publisher no longer hosts forums. 

Ive not found a good place to discuss 13A either. Rpg.net is about the best there is, and it’s sparse as well. 

Just now, Raleel said:

As stated further up, the publisher no longer hosts forums. 

Ive not found a good place to discuss 13A either. Rpg.net is about the best there is, and it’s sparse as well. 

Huh. Wonder why that is... most developers like having a place to Q&A their games and keep the buzz up. Publisher problems?

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, svensson said:

Sven, you evil scheming otter (judging by your avatar, =) ), I'm an old grognard myself, but given I haven't played much in the last 35 years, I guess I'm more of a rear echelon m*f*.

Do appreciate the deep lore, but also need some help on these rules. It would be a shame if 13G didn't get more recognition; it's a major addition/enhancement to Glorantha RPGs. Try out the Trickster class!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Sven, you evil scheming otter (judging by your avatar, 😃 ), I'm an old grognard myself, but given I haven't played much in the last 35 years, I guess I'm more of a rear echelon m*f*.

Do appreciate the deep lore, but also need some help on these rules. It would be a shame if 13G didn't get more recognition; it's a major addition/enhancement to Glorantha RPGs. Try out the Trickster class!

I was in the SCA for many years and my heraldry featured a river otter. A friend found Evil Otter for me and I immediately adopted it as my spirit animal :) I mean, just look at that face!

Anyway, about 13G... I'm fully happy that anyone is happy in the game their playing. Tabletop RP is too niche a hobby for us to piss in each other's corn flakes, after all. I haven't bought any 13th Age stuff because I have all the information on class-based systems that I'll ever need. That doesn't mean that I think it's a bad system, it's just not my thing. Sorry to hear the publisher isn't being more supportive, but if 13G needs a home then there's no reason why it can't be here.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1