A further update about the impending release of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha

MOB

2 hours ago, Lurking Grue said:

For the slipcase, my shipping cost comes up at a pretty steep 37.83 Euros. Ouch!! That's quite a bit more than 9 bucks.

Yeah, €37.83 seems huge, especially as Oracle's was shipped to Germany for €19.95 (mine was shipped to the UK for $13.95, if you're interested, but that's always going to be cheaper). Have you checked it's been ordered from the correct warehouse? It's supposed to default to the closest, based, presumably, on your address or IP address. But 'supposed to' doesn't always happen, especially if you're using a VPN or something... 

20 minutes ago, godsmonkey said:

Wow, the European VAT tax is insane!!!

It's because it's classified as a book - most EU countries have a lower rate of VAT for books than games, often a zero rate. So we really get annoyed when a company produces a gamebook and then includes a free set of dice (meaning it's now classified as a game) - it adds 20% VAT to the price!

The $9 shipping charge for US customers is because of a wonderful US Post Office special rate for "media mail". Thanks to Ben Franklin, books and printed materials can be sent at a relatively inexpensive special rate within the USA. Unfortunately, overseas shipping from the US gets crazy expensive for anything over 1.75 kilos.

If you doubt what the actual shipping costs are, please use your national post office website to check what they would charge to send a 4 kilogram package from your country to with the US, the UK, or Australia Choose whichever of those three locations is closest to your country. Also, I seriously doubt you will find a cheaper rate with FedEx, DHL, UPS, or similar. They tend to charge even more than the post office does for overseas shipments. Postage costs suck, and we aren't huge like Amazon is so we can negotiate super discounted rates or just subsidize the shipping costs.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• MOB unfeatured this topic
3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

f you doubt what the actual shipping costs are, please use your national post office website to check what they would charge to send a 4 kilogram package from your country to with the US, the UK, or Australia Choose whichever of those three locations is closest to your country.

Well, I'm not complaining about my postage rate ($13.95 is really cheap for a 4 kg parcel within the UK). And I don't think Kloster or Oracle are complaining about the €19.95 it cost to ship from the UK to France and Germany. But Lurking Grue - who lives in Europe too - was charged €37.83, nearly twice as much as them, and that does seem a bit incongruous. Maybe they shipped it from the USA instead?

If you doubt what the actual shipping costs are, please use your national post office website to check what they would charge to send a 4 kilogram package from your country to with the US, the UK, or Australia Choose whichever of those three locations is closest to your country. Also, I seriously doubt you will find a cheaper rate with FedEx, DHL, UPS, or similar. They tend to charge even more than the post office does for overseas shipments. Postage costs suck, and we aren't huge like Amazon is so we can negotiate super discounted rates or just subsidize the shipping costs.

Oh sure, leave out north of Valind's Glacier. Everyone does...

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

All books that are shipped to a "European" address are shipped from the UK warehouse. The Royal Mail has different prices for different european destinations.

Shipping to countries like Germany and France are cheaper than shipping to eastern Europe, and also Scandinavia. I can't explain why that is, but that's what the Royal Mail charges.

Malta is actually the most expensive place to ship to "in Europe". 

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

Shipping to countries like Germany and France are cheaper than shipping to eastern Europe, and also Scandinavia. I can't explain why that is, but that's what the Royal Mail charges.

Malta is actually the most expensive place to ship to "in Europe". 

Believe the Royal Mail has long standing agreements with their equivalents in France and Germany, not so old or good in Scandinavia, and there's no overland route to Malta, so often post is sent by air. Due to history, Eastern Europe, very recent and far more expensive. I recently bought a (large, heavy) book from the Czech Republic, delivered by Royal Mail here, and the Czech postage cost was almost twice the price of the book...

10 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

Am I reading things right and there's supposed to be an extra discount for people who have the pdfs and the a hard copy of the corebook? Or does the "you have all three pdfs" coupon already cover that?

Yes  - you get a discount coupon for the the core RQG rules in the slip case, if you've previously bought the hard back, pdf, or both

18 hours ago, Steve3742 said:

It's because it's classified as a book - most EU countries have a lower rate of VAT for books than games, often a zero rate. So we really get annoyed when a company produces a gamebook and then includes a free set of dice (meaning it's now classified as a game) - it adds 20% VAT to the price!

So the UK has a high VAT rate for books unlike most of Europe?
Its insane that the books cost almost double the US price.

172 GBP = around $225 US 

4 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Yes  - you get a discount coupon for the the core RQG rules in the slip case, if you've previously bought the hard back, pdf, or both

To clarify, the discounts are based on the price of the PDFs. The maximum discount is therefore $62, which is based on purchasing the RQG rulebook PDF ($27), the Bestiary PDF ($20), and the GM screen Pack PDF ($15).

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

7 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

To clarify, the discounts are based on the price of the PDFs. The maximum discount is therefore $62, which is based on purchasing the RQG rulebook PDF ($27), the Bestiary PDF ($20), and the GM screen Pack PDF ($15).

Looking at the original post, it appeared the cost of the 3 books in the UK was 172 GBP, but maybe he ordered other things? That would explain my confusion as to why it appeared so much more expensive.

I'm just thrilled Chaosium let us double dip on the core rules discount!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, godsmonkey said:

Coupon received; order placed.

Subtotal£171.79
$62.00 off the order total-£48.42
Shipping£10.89
Tax£0.00

1 hour ago, godsmonkey said:

So the UK has a high VAT rate for books unlike most of Europe?

As can be seen from the quote above, the VAT rate (or Tax) is 0. Because it's a book.

£172 is high, but maybe he bought the leatherette version? I think that's around $229, which is approximately £172

• Like 1

did anyone else get a confusing message in the UK from the delivery company for RQG today?

05 Apr 2019 14:07 Exeter Your delivery has been cancelled, please contact for further details
05 Apr 2019 13:59 Sender We've received your order details, and we're expecting your parcel shortly

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

did anyone else get a confusing message in the UK from the delivery company for RQG today?

05 Apr 2019 14:07 Exeter Your delivery has been cancelled, please contact for further details
05 Apr 2019 13:59 Sender We've received your order details, and we're expecting your parcel shortly

Yes I have similar from dpd 

15 minutes ago, Humakt said:

Yes I have similar from dpd 

the great and benevolent el presidente says...

"I suspect that our UK warehouse tried to batch load a lot of deliveries into their shipping system and made an error, so they had to purge and reload the data"