Call of Cthulhu on Penny Arcade

MOB

The Penny Arcade team are led by Chaosium's own Mike Mason through crypts, graveyards, and catacombs to solve a most occult caper - this is the YouTube version of the Twitch Call of Cthulhu show earlier this week.

• Like 2

I loved watching this game. I'm not used to watching other Keepers because I live in a small town and there are few keeperss here (I have tried hard to teach others lately) and Mike mastering is phenomenal. Are there other games like this that I can watch? Also, my English is not so good and I have the impression that I could not understand (or Mike does not say), but what scenario is this that they played? Already published?

Edited by Fábio Silva
  • Like 1

An analog guy
fscontato0@gmail.com

9 hours ago, Fábio Silva said:

what scenario is this that they played? Already published?

Yes, they're playing Paper Chase from the new Starter set. I think this may have been published elsewhere in the past too, though I'm not sure too (and might be wrong on that).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Yes, they're playing Paper Chase from the new Starter set. I think this may have been published elsewhere in the past too, though I'm not sure too (and might be wrong on that).

It was in the original Cthulhu Companion. I think it might have come from Different Worlds, but I no longer own all of those. 😕

• Like 1

Thank you Steve. I've been away from public activities and internet related to RPG because I suffered a religious persecution for owning of Call of Cthulhu RPG books. So I spent a long time inactive on the forum. But I will look for other scenarios too. I used to be part of the Cult of Chaos but I forgot my password to enter the forum of scenarios and competition (but I can still access the basic forum with the first password I found in my emails).

I bought the starter set, but since I live in Brazil, it has not arrived yet. I'm looking forward to it.

An analog guy
fscontato0@gmail.com

7 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

It was in the original Cthulhu Companion. I think it might have come from Different Worlds, but I no longer own all of those. 😕

I'm curious. I'll research about it. I really liked this scenario and I do not remember playing it.

An analog guy
fscontato0@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who wants to learn some Keeper tricks should watch Mike in action. Compare the text of the adventure to how it shakes out and you'll see some key decisions he makes, in response to his players, to make for a unique experience. He's also excellent at creative test outcomes/requests on the fly.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

I really liked how Mike Mason was running the game and made the whole session run smooth. I was surprised to learn that he is one of the authors of the game and from Chaosium. He was the only reason to finish this and to be honest I will appreciate if there is more in the future, but with different cast of players.

Because, unfortunately, I can't say anything good about the rest of the people. The players were too loud, they kept interrupting him, especially the guy who played the librarian, to a moment where Mike didn't finish what he was about to say (and still he managed to control this obviously not very interested in the game crowd). The archeologist player was throwing in flat jokes and I felt like I was watching some comedy, rather than game of mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 12:23 AM, MOB said:

36,000 views in the past two weeks! 

1595495325_ScreenShot2019-04-27at12_05_20am.png.ade266f50b5960d0ca7cae5766e02fa4.png

Now over 40,000 views. Nice work Mike Mason and Penny Arcade!

(BTW, if you're looking to buy the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set, do check out what it says when you click "SHOW MORE" for the video description...)

• Like 3