APP

@Morien I find your product and/or service intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 

Oh, right--already have.

This is an interesting solution to the problem and might succeed in modeling the situation well enough to ensure APP is important to its social-interaction purpose. In other words, it sets the stage for further skills. The only fly in the ointment is that it takes (at least) two rolls to resolve a test. Since APP can vary based on dress and such, I'd tend to look at it as a single roll a the beginning of a scene in order to determine how the character carries him- or herself. If a specific social interaction is made then the impression category can be used as a further determinate of  what "success" or "failure" actually means in the context. 

This is actually quire helpful to GMs who may struggle with portraying NPC behavior variations in reasoned ways, as opposed to following a script.

I'd still want to start social skills at APP/2 in order to reflect the character's focused facilitation with them.

--Khanwulf 

6 minutes ago, Khanwulf said:

I find your product and/or service intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 

Glad you liked it. :)

6 minutes ago, Khanwulf said:

I'd still want to start social skills at APP/2 in order to reflect the character's focused facilitation with them.

Yes. I am in favor of that too, as well as rewarding APP Glory for courtly skill successes, rather than a flat 10. It is not a huge amount of Glory, but it does help those who have invested some points to APP. In particular Ladies, who must rely on, mainly, for Court Glory since they are unlikely to fight in duels, tournaments, adventures or battles.

1 hour ago, Morien said:

Glad you liked it. :)

Yes. I am in favor of that too, as well as rewarding APP Glory for courtly skill successes, rather than a flat 10. It is not a huge amount of Glory, but it does help those who have invested some points to APP. In particular Ladies, who must rely on, mainly, for Court Glory since they are unlikely to fight in duels, tournaments, adventures or battles.

I like it too. I think it's a  solution that is easy to implement and actually simplifies chargen. I think that the cultural niche protection can be kept just by keeping the higher starting values for skills above STAT/2 or by giving a bonus to the special cultural skills (i.e Picts either get Stalk at 15 or it starts at DEX/2+8).

But, the idea has a lot of opposition. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, Atgxtg said:
On 8/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, YwainDigsLions said:

I was thinking about tweaking the Distinctive Features table to come up with skill modifiers based on APP:

APP                                   Courtly Skill Modifier*

5-6                                               -2

7-9                                              -1

10-12                                          0

13-16                                           +1

17+                                             +2

* Compose, Courtesy, Dancing, Falconry, Flirting, Gaming, Heraldry, Intrigue, Orate, Play (Instrument), Romance, Singing, Tourney.

It's an idea, and fairly similar to what RQ does with it's category modifiers. If the modifiers applied to improvement rolls (as in RQ3) as well it could make APP very useful to Courtly skills without changing chargen. 

My spin on this general idea would be to create a new APP-based Derived Statistic, call it 'Charm' or something, calculated as:

Charm = (APP-12)/2

Which gets you

APP 5-6                  -3 Charm

APP 7-8                  -2 Charm

APP 9-10                -1 Charm

APP 11-12             +0 Charm

APP 13-14             +1 Charm

APP 15-16             +2 Charm

APP 17-18             +3 Charm

Plug in Igraine's APP at the height of her beauty, and you get (32-12)/2 = a nice round +10 Charm.

I'd only apply Charm to Courtesy, Dancing, Flirting, Intrigue, Orate, Play (Instrument), and Singing, however. 

Edited by Mr.47