Should 1H/2H-Axe, Mace, and Spear be on the Character Sheet?

dstack1776

Looking at my most recent download of the character sheet included in the core book, it seems odd that 1H/2H Axe and Spear plus 1H Mace are listed on the sheet. Per the rules (and the sample characters), those are weapon categories - shouldn't the skills be, for example, Small Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, and Dagger-Axe? (Though I wonder if it should also be Battle Axe 1H and Battle Axe 2H since the default starting value for those different styles are different.)

Thoughts? Apologies if this has been covered before - my forum search came up empty...

Edited by dstack1776
add closing parenthesis
  • Like 1

I do find it silly that the weapon categories are listed when you train individual weapons rather than categories. I really do think the character sheet could've been better thought out, but at least character sheets are easy to make yourself if you don't like the official ones. That's what I end up doing a lot.

• Like 2

Indeed, you should have a skill in a specific weapon, which can be used at half chance for a similar weapon in the same category. That is a bit of an oops. Also it takes up a load of space, when a lot of those skills might be of no use. Should have been left blank.

No offense to the Chaosium peeps, but I edited the character sheet (the 2 first pages) significantly. Some things were missing imo, and the only part I kept from the weapons skills is the natural weapons category, since it really makes no sense to have weapon categories as skills. I added some blank lines to every skill category, including weapons and spells, and managed to fit the companion/animal/spirit stats onto the 2nd page (We probably won't really use page 3 & 4).

I don't know if it's allowed, but I could possibly share it with you guys if you're interested.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gochie said:

No offense to the Chaosium peeps, but I edited the character sheet (the 2 first pages) significantly. Some things were missing imo, and the only part I kept from the weapons skills is the natural weapons category, since it really makes no sense to have weapon categories as skills. I added some blank lines to every skill category, including weapons and spells, and managed to fit the companion/animal/spirit stats onto the 2nd page (We probably won't really use page 3 & 4).

I don't know if it's allowed, but I could possibly share it with you guys if you're interested.

Could you put that in the downloads section here?

10 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'd replace the stat lines "Current" and "Original" with "Maximum" and "Current". Or at least, I'd swap them over or move the stat names up so that they are on the "Current" line. Other than that, niiiice.

The "current" and "original" is actually taken directly from the RQ3 sheet. It's extremely useful for stuff that alters your stats temporarily (disease, magic buffs/debuffs, etc.).

It also always reminds you of what your stats were when you started, so you can see how far you've come when your character is at 21 POW with 10 rune points 😁

Personally, I think max stats are easy enough to figure out and are rarely achieved, so I don't really think they have to be listed. 

20 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I do find it silly that the weapon categories are listed when you train individual weapons rather than categories.

Personally I am going to use the cathegories as skills rather than individual weapons. I was a bit disappointed to find that they went with individual weapon skills rather than broader skills, but it is an easy thing to houserule. Individual weapons as skills is an unnecessary granularity that I feel I do not need in my game. There are almost too many skills as is anyway.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'd replace the stat lines "Current" and "Original" with "Maximum" and "Current". Or at least, I'd swap them over or move the stat names up so that they are on the "Current" line. Other than that, niiiice.

Yeah, I've done this on my own character sheets.

6 hours ago, Yinkin said:

Personally I am going to use the cathegories as skills rather than individual weapons. I was a bit disappointed to find that they went with individual weapon skills rather than broader skills, but it is an easy thing to houserule. Individual weapons as skills is an unnecessary granularity that I feel I do not need in my game. There are almost too many skills as is anyway.

I've done the same thing.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, dstack1776 said:

Looking at my most recent download of the character sheet included in the core book, it seems odd that 1H/2H Axe and Spear plus 1H Mace are listed on the sheet. Per the rules (and the sample characters), those are weapon categories - shouldn't the skills be, for example, Small Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, and Dagger-Axe? (Though I wonder if it should also be Battle Axe 1H and Battle Axe 2H since the default starting value for those different styles are different.)

When I looked at the Character Sheet, I shuddered. For me, it is awful.

Regarding weapons, a good Character Sheet, for me, should contain blank spaces for weapons so that I can write whatever weapons I wan in the Character Sheet. Having weapons explicitly stated is a complete waste of space.

It makes sense for the skills to be weapon categories, as those are the skills that you use, except that weapons have different damage/AP/HP. What I would do is to have the different weapon categories as skills and detail weapons with the skill listed. So, you would have a skill of 1H Sword in the skills list and a Broadsword listed as a weapon with its stats and 1H Sword as the weapon skill. That way, you have the weapons categories to hand, in case you pick up a weapon, but don't clog up the character sheet with things you don't need.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/5/2019 at 11:31 PM, gochie said:

The "current" and "original" is actually taken directly from the RQ3 sheet. It's extremely useful for stuff that alters your stats temporarily (disease, magic buffs/debuffs, etc.).

It also always reminds you of what your stats were when you started, so you can see how far you've come when your character is at 21 POW with 10 rune points 😁

Personally, I think max stats are easy enough to figure out and are rarely achieved, so I don't really think they have to be listed. 

How about changing the top line to "Original/Max" and putting a / in above each space, and the bottom line to "Current"?

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

How about changing the top line to "Original/Max" and putting a / in above each space, and the bottom line to "Current"?

I actually changed it to add a 'species max' line, and put 'race' in a better spot (removed 'Ransom' to make it fit, as I don't think it should even be a thing)... I'm also adding fancy coloring and pictures instead of the blueish stone mask/animal carving. 

Also made a troll and elf version with appropriate colors and images.

I'll probably make a new post when I upload them.