Rune Points

Shiningbrow

I have a couple of queries about RPs.

Firstly, since there are multiple times throughout the year when Initiates and above get their (often full) complement of Rune Points back, and the amazement that is Extension, would it not make sense for any forward-thinking cultist to be throwing their best temporal spells packed with Extension 5 (for a 1-year duration) on a regular basis? If I'm an Orlanthi, Humakti or other combat-oriented Rune Lord, I'd be putting up a Shield 7+ with a 5pt Extension (probably just before a major Holy Day (so I can go battling with my full complement of RPs afterwards).

Which leads to - do such effects (Runic Extension, Shamanic Spell Extension, and even Sorcery duration effects) impede regeneration of points (either magic or Runic)? That is, if an Extended spell is still in effect, can the RP's be regained?

Secondly, if a person is a member of multiple cults, and has multiple sources of Rune Points, can they be used across different deities spells? Eg. could an Orlanthi Shield spell be Extended through RP's dedicated to, say, Ernalda (presuming initiate level or above to both)?  (this is not about whether RP's used on Associate Cult special spells are being combined with base cult spells - eg, an Ernalda cultist using Orlanth's Shield spell, backed by Ernalda's Extensions ... this should be obvious). The question is being asked as a way to get around the CHA maximum Rune Points per cult rule.

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

throwing their best temporal spells packed with Extension 5 (for a 1-year duration) on a regular basis?

If you don't get your Rune Points back until the spell has expired (which is what I'd argue), then you've lost those for the year. Priests will of course do this to help protect the temple, etc.

do such effects (Runic Extension, Shamanic Spell Extension, and even Sorcery duration effects) impede regeneration of points (either magic or Runic)?

I believe the answer is Yes, they do impede.

has multiple sources of Rune Points, can they be used across different deities spells?

No, I don't think so. 

Eg. could an Orlanthi Shield spell be Extended through RP's dedicated to, say, Ernalda (presuming initiate level or above to both)?

I think you'd have to cast within the group of spells for that deity. You might be able to make a case that you can call upon the two deities together to reinforce each other based on their association/allegiance with each other, however, I don't think I'd play it that way. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Which leads to - do such effects (Runic Extension, Shamanic Spell Extension, and even Sorcery duration effects) impede regeneration of points (either magic or Runic)? That is, if an Extended spell is still in effect, can the RP's be regained?

Runic extension: Yes, RP can not be recovered before the end of the spell they powered.

Shamanic spell extension and Sorcery duration: No, MP recovery is not changed.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:14 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Firstly, since there are multiple times throughout the year when Initiates and above get their (often full) complement of Rune Points back, and the amazement that is Extension, would it not make sense for any forward-thinking cultist to be throwing their best temporal spells packed with Extension 5 (for a 1-year duration) on a regular basis? If I'm an Orlanthi, Humakti or other combat-oriented Rune Lord, I'd be putting up a Shield 7+ with a 5pt Extension (probably just before a major Holy Day (so I can go battling with my full complement of RPs afterwards).

A rule that Rune Points cannot be regained until the spell expires sorts this out.

Secondly, if a person is a member of multiple cults, and has multiple sources of Rune Points, can they be used across different deities spells? Eg. could an Orlanthi Shield spell be Extended through RP's dedicated to, say, Ernalda (presuming initiate level or above to both)?  (this is not about whether RP's used on Associate Cult special spells are being combined with base cult spells - eg, an Ernalda cultist using Orlanth's Shield spell, backed by Ernalda's Extensions ... this should be obvious). The question is being asked as a way to get around the CHA maximum Rune Points per cult rule.

I'd play that it can't.

I play that Extension is Extension is Extension. It is a spell, it has an effect and doesn't matter where it came from, Divination/Sanctify aside. So, Extension from Orlanth is the same spell as Extension from Issaries, for example, and I could use Orlanthi Extension on an Issaries spell and vice versa, I could also use Orlanthi and Issaries Extension together.

Regarding Rune Pools for different cults in general, of a Runespell is common between the cults, then I'd allow Rune Points from both sets of rune Pools to cast the common spell. So, Flight, Lock and Analyze Magic are common to Orlanth and Issaries, though the Associate Cults, so a member of both Issaries and Orlanth could use Rune Points from either Rune Pool to cast those spells.

For Divination and Sanctify, I'd actually make those cult-specific, so Divination (Orlanth) and Sanctify (Issaries), which means they are restricted in scope. Otherwise, you could use Sanctify gained from Orlanth to set up an Issaries shrine, which makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

20 hours ago, soltakss said:

I play that Extension is Extension is Extension. It is a spell, it has an effect and doesn't matter where it came from, Divination/Sanctify aside. So, Extension from Orlanth is the same spell as Extension from Issaries, for example, and I could use Orlanthi Extension on an Issaries spell and vice versa, I could also use Orlanthi and Issaries Extension together.

However, Rune Magic is an extension (pun obviously intended :D) of the god the Power was sacrificed to ... So, I would have said that Orlanth's Extension is not the same (and thus, not stackable with) Issaries' Extension. The spell may be common and available to all cults, but it's certainly not from the same source. (Counter argument... Not only are certain special spells granted to associated cults, but so too are all common spells ... it's just that it becomes somewhat meaningless. That is, Issaries cultists don't get Flight from Issaries, but direct from Orlanth... it would depend on whether the Associated Cult Rune Spells are given by the god to the cult, or to the god...)

Sanctify should probably be called Sanctify to <deity>.

(related to the first - obviously PCs can initiate into associated cults. I presume they can also be in friendly cults. What's the general rule for Neutral cults?)

Reminder of where to find it:

Replenishing Rune Points and the Extension Spell

A Rune spell must expire before the Rune points expended in casting the spell can be replenished. In nearly all cases, additional clarification is not necessary to even spell out in the rules, as the worship ceremony takes longer to perform than the standard duration of a Rune spell. When a Rune spell’s duration is prolonged because of an Extension spell, the Rune points used for both the Extension and the underlying Rune spell cannot be replenished until the Extended spell expires.

Example: Vasana casts Shield 1 and combines it with Exten- sion 4 so that it lasts an entire season. This uses up all 5 of her Rune points. She cannot replenish those Rune points at the next seasonal holy day to Orlanth and must wait until the Extension expires before trying to replenish those Rune points.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogrune-fixes-1-clarifications-and-play-examples/