D&D Style BRP Rules

Solinor

I had posted about this once before and I know others have been putting something like this together.

In the download section is now my imcomplete version of what our group has called DQ or Death(Dungeon) Quest.

A hybrid of D&D and BRP(RQ). Another name is D&C or Decision & Consequence.

The rules are far from complete and downright bad in some places and will cause confusion.

But the lay out should give a solid idea of what I am thinking(I hope).

I think a DM familiar with both systems could run it reasonably well.

We have had a continuous campaign for about 11 months with it.

So far it has done a good job of walking the line between the two game systems.

My hope is people will give it a try and post feed back on it. Perhaps even taking some interest in helping complete the rules.

Please don't give strong opinions unless you have actually tried it.

Cheers.

So far it has done a good job of walking the line between the two game systems.

I'm curious. What line were you crossing that merging the two games together fixed? I've played a lot of RQ and a lot of D&D, and while I've enjoyed each to one degree or another as well as been inspired, I've never quite gone down the path your group has chosen.

Of course, this isn't the feedback you're looking for, as I really have little interest in playing something other than BRP, but I am very interested in what you think BRP is lacking.

[PS - I did convert d20 to classless d100 at one time. I used the standard D&D Characteristics, and Size categories for races and monsters, but turned everything else into standard d100 Roll Low, and ditched just about everything else. Hit Points were CON x Size Modifier, eg. Large Creatures had HP x2. I used the old Spell Point system for spells, with all damage defaulting to a number of dice equal to the spell level.]

Edited by Harshax

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

It is more about style perhaps.

I will say it is mostly the game world that drove this.

That world being intiailly built using AD&D.

A few things about D&D became just not that interesting to the group.

So we picked up RQ.

The mechanics for RQ/BRP are really well done. A mathematical masterpiece.

But perhaps was to "Real" for us.

I am a big fan of both systems and love parts of both.

I like BRP/RQ combat but love D&D magic.

I prefer BRP/RQ skills but love class roles.

So for me this has been my solution.

I appreciate the question and will be glad to discuss this further if my answer is incomplete.

But perhaps was to "Real" for us.

I can appreciate all these sentiments myself. But why muddy; if I may call it that; BRP waters with D&D's exception based mechanics? (feats)

The new BRP offers rules for more heroic characters (HP = SIZ+CON, Splitting Attacks, Fate Mechanics, Dodge vs. High Velocity Missiles). Sure, Powers need a little love, and there are a couple of things in the works to fulfill that need. Class roles are easily handled with Step 6 and professions. Plus, it's very easy to write more professions.

Don't get me wrong. When my RQ stuff was in storage, and the latest edition of BRP wasn't even being playtested, I very much did the same as you. Nevertheless, I know of one other member on this forum that uses D&D Magic almost right out of the box. You both have some interesting ideas, if you're willing to collaborate.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I can appreciate all these sentiments myself. But why muddy; if I may call it that; BRP waters with D&D's exception based mechanics? (feats)

Before you say it muddies the BRP waters I suggest give it a try.

Although some things look great on paper but are terrible in practice, these rules may seem bad on paper but work very well in practice.

If anything I have tried to stay true to the modular nature of BRP and the level and Additionals(feats) fit that nature.

Although I changed SIZ and Weapon Damage for my own reasons there is no reason why those modules couldn’t overlay unchanged BRP.

Level being merely an arbitrary mechanic that dictates to a player when he/she becomes more powerful. Same as Glory. Players love rewards of any kind.

The new BRP offers rules for more heroic characters (HP = SIZ+CON, Splitting Attacks, Fate Mechanics, Dodge vs. High Velocity Missiles). Sure, Powers need a little love, and there are a couple of things in the works to fulfill that need. Class roles are easily handled with Step 6 and professions. Plus, it's very easy to write more professions.

You seem to be a tinkerer of rules yourself, so I am sure you understand the myriad of paths that tinkering can take you.

The paths are infinite. But we don’t have infinite time. So I had to decide on something and this is what I came up with.

Don't get me wrong. When my RQ stuff was in storage, and the latest edition of BRP wasn't even being playtested, I very much did the same as you. Nevertheless, I know of one other member on this forum that uses D&D Magic almost right out of the box. You both have some interesting ideas, if you're willing to collaborate.

I am certainly willing to collaborate and I am already taking ideas from Frogspawners website. :)

Greetings,

I checked out your rules and I can definitely see the potential. Although I most likely won't use them in any longstanding campaign, I can see how I would use them as a "mid step" taking D&D players into a BRP style game.

The first playtest version of Vhraeden was very similar to what you have there. In fact the only real difference between D&C and VRP is that you have classes and additionals, whereas I simply removed classes entirely and additionals (feats/powers and magic) I simply turned into skills so that skill points/experience flows seamlessly into all aspects of character development.

To be honest, if I would have found your rules ten-ish years ago, I would have used them instead of making up my own...thanks for having me waste 10 years of my life :thumb:

Granted, I only read the rules portion, not the monsters and spells portion yet, but all in all, it does a good job of keeping the feel of D&D with the simplicity of BRP.

Also, call me crazy, but if you had a setting that was "in tune" with the rules-set that might make a bit of difference since a rules set is just that, a set of rules...a bit lifeless.

Just my opinion...

-STS

Greetings,

Also, call me crazy, but if you had a setting that was "in tune" with the rules-set that might make a bit of difference since a rules set is just that, a set of rules...a bit lifeless.

Just my opinion...

-STS

As for a setting I do have a map of our current campaign with a brief description of the lands in the Gallery section of the website. The map is called "The South".

Thank you for looking at it and giving feedback.

I realize that anyone who looks at this is probably an established DM and have spent years if not decades working on their own game. So I can't imagine anyone actually replacing whatever they are doing with what I put out there. But I wanted to share it with people and if nothing else create some discussion.

The bits of D&D you love (D&Ds vancian magic and Classes) are 2 fo the bits of D&D I detest, add feats and that my list complete.

I guess what I'm saying is I'll happily play a more heroic dungeon crawling version of BRP/RQ but I really don't want or need either D&Ds fire and forget magic or its Character classes. Both of which take away from RQs ease of use and connection to a game world and move the game more in the direction of a board game or "Pawn Stance" gamist way of playing an RPG.

All IMHO and YMMV.

Anyway all you really need to do to make RQ more heroic is Make HP = total of Con & Siz, and MPs= total of Pow & Int, then give players 3 hero points per session.

Spending a hero point allows:

A re roll of any dice roll.

A soak of 1d6 damage

A minor dramatic scene edit.

Edited by AikiGhost

Please don't give strong opinions unless you have actually tried it.

Which is a fair and reasonable point. And this being the internet, far from unecessary.

However I have a question rather than strong opinion.

What is the advantage you see in 'rolling high' with a d100? That's a genuine query that is, not a loaded question.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Which is a fair and reasonable point. And this being the internet, far from unecessary.

However I have a question rather than strong opinion.

What is the advantage you see in 'rolling high' with a d100? That's a genuine query that is, not a loaded question.

Al

Perhaps I made a typo somewhere? Where do I use rolling high?

I will correct it.

...Anyway all you really need to do to make RQ more heroic is Make HP = total of Con & Siz, and MPs= total of Pow & Int, then give players 3 hero points per session.

Spending a hero point allows:

A re roll of any dice roll.

A soak of 1d6 damage

A minor dramatic scene edit.

I use most of these (Only differences being: MP=POW, and Hero Point=soak of 1 point of damage, 3 hero points per session +/- roleplaying). If you go this route, especially using the hero points, be aware that there are some multiplying effects. For instance, whenever a player misses an advancement roll for a lower skill that they don't use much, they always reroll -- statistically it makes sense, but it means that no one has any really low skills any more.

And the hero point soak coupled with higher hit points means they can wade into a lot of places they should really not be (that's somewhat the point of 'heroic', but as a GM it has thrown me more than once). As GM it's worth keeping rough track of total hero points available -- I've found it's a good indicator of player risky behavior.

On the other hand, characters don't drop like flies, which has made the campaign popular and long-running, which was what I really wanted. And I've been soaking up the hero points as we run up to a climax.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!