New to RuneQuest Product Questions

Euclid Prime

2 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Everyone here should watch Jeff and Jason’s latest video choc full of RuneQuest announcements...

Sorry to be that guy but:
1) if one doesn't have 58 min to watch the video, could anyone recap meaningful announcements?

2) if this is full of interesting bits, wouldn't this be be a thing that should be mentioned on the chaosium blog and/or in the email blast?

47 minutes ago, styopa said:

Sorry to be that guy but:
1) if one doesn't have 58 min to watch the video, could anyone recap meaningful announcements?

2) if this is full of interesting bits, wouldn't this be be a thing that should be mentioned on the chaosium blog and/or in the email blast?

The next 4 releases, with the last out by end of year at latest:

1. The Smoking Ruins. Linked scenarios set in smoking Ruins by Chris Klug

2. RuneQuest starter set - think Cthulhu starter set - Basic RuneQuest.

3. Pegasus Plateau & other stories - micro scenarios/ encounters.Easy to run for Gms. By Steffy Devan( probably spelt her name wrong), Helena Nash, and John Wick.

4. Gms Sourcebook - including lots of gm advice, Heroquesting, treasures 

• Also there was talk of an adventure by Steve Perrin, and the last adventure by Greg Stafford in what sounds like a sandbox in a new part of Dragon Pass?
  • Intersting talk on expanding into new areas of Glorantha. Starting with the Lunar Empire. There’s a manuscript for Kralorela with associated campaign arch, and also the west and the invisible God being developed by Jeff.
  • There’s mention of scenarios pack set in one of the islands of Seaopolis. 
  • The 2 part book Gods of Glorantha is written, but waiting for art.
  • Two book return to  Pavis & The Big Rubble by Robbin Laws.
  • Two Adventures set in the Upland Marsh, one a fleshed out adventure by Greg Stafford.
  • There’ll be a Grazelander Campaign book( not sure the author?),
  • A Praxian Campaign Book by David Scott.
  • New Troll Pak will have an adventure/s taking non trolls “into the troll lands”

Very intesting discussion on art direction in RuneQuest....and Jeff loves ducks.

That about sums it up, worth a listen though.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, styopa said:

I like to give convention attendees their own special rewards. Things get announced in the regular course of things - but if you want to know what precisely we are working on, go to a convention where Jason and I are guests.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Also there was talk of an adventure by Steve Perrin, and the last adventure by Greg Stafford in what sounds like a sandbox in a new part of Dragon Pass?

as far as I understood, they are included in The Smoking Ruins, forming a mini sandbox around that part of Grazelands, with separate Grazelander Campaign book being also by Mister Klug.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I like to give convention attendees their own special rewards. Things get announced in the regular course of things - but if you want to know what precisely we are working on, go to a convention where Jason and I are guests.

That one is a bit too far away. Norden is 'just' 1144km and 11h30 from home.

22 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Also, I've observed that what Chaosium discusses at 'Cons is more forward-looking and even "speculative" in the sense of "subject to radical change or even cancellation in the regular course of things."

I think Chaosium (justifiably!) HATES to pull back on something they have made official, so the 'Con info let's them give a less guarded and less official view; one that many fans value.  But speculative work just isn't suitable content for their blog or for Ab Chaos.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

@Jeff: Julia the result of a Bene Gesserit selection process?! Bwahaha... 😂 

But she grew up (and put up) with the bunch of us wreaking havoc (her mother at the forefront) in selected Genertela locations on a weekly basis some 20 years ago. That, and of course the continued exposure to RuneQuestCon/Tentacles/Eternal Con may have left lasting impressions. What an awesome way to grow up!

With her and her father in charge of the German translation of RQG, I’ve not a single doubt that Uhrwerk Verlag’s edition will be most faithful to the original — and additionally be in line with older RQ publications, given that Magister Ludi had his hand in their translation as well. Welt der Spiele (WDS), anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:
  • A Praxian Campaign Book by David Scott.
  • New Troll Pak will have an adventure/s taking non trolls “into the troll lands”

Last "official" word I saw on these, each was still under consideration as either a HQG or a RQG product.  Has a definitive decision been made?

C'es ne pas un .sig

20 minutes ago, foolcat said:

@Jeff: Julia the result of a Bene Gesserit selection process?! Bwahaha... 😂 

But she grew up (and put up) with the bunch of us wreaking havoc (her mother at the forefront) in selected Genertela locations on a weekly basis some 20 years ago. That, and of course the continued exposure to RuneQuestCon/Tentacles/Eternal Con may have left lasting impressions. What an awesome way to grow up!

With her and her father in charge of the German translation of RQG, I’ve not a single doubt that Uhrwerk Verlag’s edition will be most faithful to the original — and additionally be in line with older RQ publications, given that Magister Ludi had his hand in their translation as well. Welt der Spiele (WDS), anyone?

I own the WDS translations and the complete, translated Mythras/RQ6-oeuvre.

Let's see how good the german RQG is but I think I'll stick with the original.

Since there is German language interest in the game building, I feel I should get my character creation spreadsheet working in German (it already does Spanish and French). I've downloaded the quickstart, and will make a start on a German translation, but I will need some help from a native speaker at some point. Any volunteers?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Since there is German language interest in the game building, I feel I should get my character creation spreadsheet working in German (it already does Spanish and French). I've downloaded the quickstart, and will make a start on a German translation, but I will need some help from a native speaker at some point. Any volunteers?

I'm happy, if I can help here!

13 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Everyone here should watch Jeff and Jason’s latest video choc full of RuneQuest announcements...

Watched the whole video.  It just occurred to me... no mention of The Red Book of Magic.  Guess it's pretty far off; like more than the other titles mentioned?  

15 minutes ago, SilverSeraph said:

Watched the whole video.  It just occurred to me... no mention of The Red Book of Magic.  Guess it's pretty far off; like more than the other titles mentioned?  

The Red Book of Magic is by design a Work in Progress, as each new cult description published for a minor deity with a single magical spell will expand that book. At the very least, the definitive version of Gods and Goddesses of central Genertela needs to be published to have a starting point.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 4/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Euclid Prime said:

Thanks! I was thinking the same after reading the above comments and the description. I purchased the slipcase and the Sourcebook yesterday and have been looking over the free PDFs they sent me and I'm glad I picked up the Sourcebook too.

Welcome to the net, EP.

There are only TWO rules in RQG:

1. Maximum Game Fun. Jeff explains this handily in the RQG core rules.

2. It's YOUR Glorantha now. The minute that you sit down with your players it becomes your game, to be played the way you like it.

As you've seen, there is a whole bunch of lore and canon printed about Glorantha. As you are beginning to find out, there are a whole bunch of grognards [guilty as charged, yer honner] who just love to argue ephemerae, apocrypha, and minutiae until Yelm rises, sets and rises again. Don't let any of us tell you what Glorantha is or isn't [except fun, Glorantha IS fun]. It's your table, and we're not sitting at it.

So welcome to the oldest continually developed milieu in gaming. We're glad you're here.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Red Book of Magic is by design a Work in Progress, as each new cult description published for a minor deity with a single magical spell will expand that book. At the very least, the definitive version of Gods and Goddesses of central Genertela needs to be published to have a starting point.

Perhaps, but the thing is that Jeff has shown the manuscript on facebook.  I would think they would at least be talking about it along with the others.

No photo description available.

2 minutes ago, svensson said:

... So welcome to the oldest continually developed milieu in gaming. We're glad you're here.

Technically, I think that honor goes to Tekumel.  Their fan base & grognardia kept (is still keeping) their flame alive.  It may yet blaze forth again, burning brightly.

But MARBarker had about 2 decades' head start on Ed Greenwood & Greg Stafford...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, SilverSeraph said:

Perhaps, but the thing is that Jeff has shown the manuscript on facebook.  I would think they would at least be talking about it along with the others.

I think it's a "likely to get printed, eventually" item, but likely not until after some "minor" but famous cults get printed up in their respective books (e.g. Pavis).

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, SilverSeraph said:

Actually this a case why I hate discussing forthcoming projects until they are done. I knew we would need to do a "Grand Grimoire" and after HeinzCon I hammered it out in a few days of feverish work.

• Like 2