Species Max

Tywyll

This is unclear as the book is not consistent and depending on where you look it is either:

A: Maximum rollable plus the number of dice or 

B: Maximum rollable plus minimum rollable 

(Unless I haven’t noticed that it has been corrected).

For technique A, any addition is considered a whole extra dice.

So for option A, a stat of 3D6+1 would have a Maximum rollable of 19 and 4 dice, for a species maximum of 23.

Edited by Mechashef
To remove accidental smiley face B)

5 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

This is unclear as the book is not consistent and depending on where you look it is either:

A: Maximum rollable plus the number of dice or 

(Unless I haven’t noticed that it has been corrected).

For technique A, any addition is considered a whole extra dice.

So for option A, a stat of 3D6+1 would have a Maximum rollable of 19 and 4 dice, for a species maximum of 23.

Yeah, this right here is what's throwing me as I've seen those two different rules and it's not clear how you are supposed to deal with it.

Wish they would clarify.

23 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

The main rule book only caters for humans. The Bestiary has the rule for non-humans, page 6.

image.png.50c332fc4d1cdc562897b24bd60b2a2d.png

Despite this I will continue to rule "+1 per +6 or fraction thereof".

Which would support

1 hour ago, Mechashef said:

A: Maximum rollable plus the number of dice

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The section on Increasing characteristics (P417 & P418) makes multiple references to Maximum  rolled plus Minimum rolled, especially relating to  POW.

However there may be an alternative interpretation of Pages 417 & 418 (though it seems unlikely and if it is the case, should be explained better).

Perhaps the species maximum is Maximum  rollable plus Number of Dice BUT the value used to determine if the roll is successful is based on Maximum  rollable plus Minimum rollable.

For example, a species with a POW of 2D6+6 would have the same maximum POW as a human: 21 (18 plus 3 dice).  

However if the adventurer’s POW is 15, when checking to see if a POW gain roll is successful the following calculation would be performed;

((18+8) - 15) * 5%

= (26 - 15) * 5%

= 11 * 5%

= 55%

[where 18 is the maximum rollable and 8 is the minimum rollable]

Compared to a human of:

((18+3) - 15) * 5%

= (21 - 15) * 5%

= 6 * 5%

= 30%

10 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

The section on Increasing characteristics (P417 & P418) makes multiple references to Maximum  rolled plus Minimum rolled, especially relating to  POW.

That is probably another one of those cut & paste artifacts from previous editions. Prior to RQG it was: 

1 hour ago, Mechashef said:

So "B" is probably "old data". 

Unless the original poster meant for a previous edition of RQ, but if that were the case he wouldn't be confused, as RQ1-2 has only  A, and RQ3 has only B.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

That is probably another one of those cut & paste artifacts from previous editions. Prior to RQG it was: 

So "B" is probably "old data". 

Unless the original poster meant for a previous edition of RQ, but if that were the case he wouldn't be confused, as RQ1-2 has only  A, and RQ3 has only B.

Yes. I agree.  My guess is that “A” is the current official method and “B” is a series of copy and paste type errors.

55 minutes ago, Videopete said:

Even in the old RQ 1st and Second edition bonuses no matter how counted as a sinlgle die roll. So 2d6+27 has a species max of 41, not 46.

42, surely? Max rollable is 39, +2 for the dice, +1 for the addition = 42.

Done the other way (Max rollable plus Min rollable), we'd get 39+29 = 68, which does seem a mite high. You were using "each +6 (or part) = 1 die", yes? That's workable, but I think the official rules are, as noted, the Bestiary quote, if only because the Bestiary is a) meant to deal with lots of different creatures with different POW; and b) written more recently. So, Max rollable, plus the number of dice, plus another 1 if there's an addition.

• Like 1

It's sloppy, as it includes both RQ2 and RQ3 Species Maxes in the rules. the Bestiary implies that the RQ2ish method is correct, so I'd use that one across the board and ignore the Max+Min rollable ones.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here