German translation of RuneQuest terms for my spreadsheet

PhilHibbs

Hi @Oracle thanks for offering to help with the German translation. Some of the answers to my questions may to need to wait until the official translation is out, since I want them to line up with the specific choices made for the translation - e.g. Characteristics I know is translated to Eigenschaften but I do not know what Attributes will be translated to as that term is not in the Quickstart (or the Schnellstartregeln)!

Mostly what I need is advice on how to translate vernacular terms, and how to contract things to fit in limited space. For instance, does "Kat" make sense as short for "Kategorie", or is even that not clearly enough the same as the full word "Fertigkeitskategorie"? I shorten "Temporary Additions" to "Temp Adds", so I need something short that makes sense to a German speaker. I could make something up like "Tempzusatz" but that might be nonsense, or accidentally rude for all I know, but it sure is shorter than "Zeitweilige Hinzufügung" (which may be just as bad).

I've done some of it, here it is, I'll share it again when I've done all the basic terms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12RHsYJeJw8NtSubDE--MENwd6rhfZVe-9WgFeG52cwM/edit?usp=sharing

Have you used my character sheet before, or is it new to you? Here's the main thread, and there are instructions for use on the wiki and also in French.

• Like 1

For most of the terms I would have to wait to see the Quickstart, as any translation is building a jargon defining certain previously innocent words to mean this and just this.

Temporary Additions might become "Temp Bonus".

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 minutes ago, Joerg said:

For most of the terms I would have to wait to see the Quickstart, as any translation is building a jargon defining certain previously innocent words to mean this and just this.

I downloaded the German version of the Quickstart today!

Despite the advanced hour, so did I just now.

Since Attributes don't have percentiles, it shouldn't be "Merkmal", so I'd still have to guess at the exact term the translator (Julia?) chose. I might have gone for "abgeleitete Eigenschaften" (derived characteristics), but then there are some decisions which are correct translations but which still don't sound that well. I probably wouldn't have gone for the literal translation of hit points, for instance. OTOH, me doing such a translation creates more of a mess, as I have already proven.

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I might have gone for "abgeleitete Eigenschaften" (derived characteristics), but then there are some decisions which are correct translations but which still don't sound that well.

You see that is the problem right there! I use "Attributes" as a column heading, and "abgeleitete Eigenschaften" just won't fit!

13 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

You see that is the problem right there! I use "Attributes" as a column heading, and "abgeleitete Eigenschaften" just won't fit!

Just drop the final s, and you have a perfectly valid German plural form. No idea whether it is the correct translation, though, but changing that probably isn't that much of a deal when we get to see the official translation.

• Like 1

The length thing is largely cosmetic, and mostly affects the CharGen tab where it just makes columns wider so you can see less of the character creation process at once.

There are probably a few translations that will affect the layout of the CharSheet as well, that's going to be tricky.

Any suggestions for the following, please:

Alchemy
Bureaucracy
Cult Lore
Library Use
Celestial
Elder Race
Peaceful Cut
Shiphandling
Prepare Corpse
Sense Assassin
Sense Chaos
Understand Herd Beast
Devise
Enc
Length
Rate

If you follow the link in the first post, you will see my progress on the Translate tab. Any suggestions or corrections welcome!

And here's what it looks like so far!
image.png.2f298b4972aa6265d05503fd5070250f.png

p.s. Why do you have a "Fruit Basket" rune?

Edited by PhilHibbs

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

Any suggestions for the following, please:

Alchemy

Alchimie

Bureaucracy

Bürokratie (or Verwaltung)

Cult Lore

Kultkunde

Library Use

Bibliotheksnutzung

Celestial

Himmlisch

Elder Race

Ältere Völker (in plural). I would avoid the term "Rasse" in German due to historical problems. "Elder Peoples" works just as well, as anyone who has the Man Rune is people.

Peaceful Cut

Friedlicher (or Friedebringender, Friedvoller) Schnitt (or Streich when talking about a slashing weapon).

Shiphandling

Schiffsführung. Possibly "Seemannschaft", seamanship. Which can be as misread (See-Mannschaft, naval team) as taking the "ship" in seamanship for a naval vessel.

Prepare Corpse

"Aufbahren" might be the shortest form, "lay out the body". Literally "Leichnam vorbereiten" or "präparieren" (the latter sounds a bit like taxydermy, though).

Sense Assassin

"Sense" can be translated as "fühlen", but that term has more similarity to "feel" than to "sense" in German. I guess I'd go for "wahrnehmen", which translates back as "perceive".

Assassin would be "Mörder", which translates back as murderer or killer, and doesn't convey the ambush situation. Perhaps "Attentäter" is better, so:

"Attentäter wahrnehmen."

Sense Chaos

"Chaos fühlen" - here I think that "feeling" the Chaos like people feel bad weather in old wounds conveys the correct connotations.

Understand Herd Beast

Herdentiere verstehen

Devise

My old nemesis from back when I tried to produce my own translation of RQ3. I think I went with "Mechanik".

Enc

Belastung

Length

Länge

Rate

Rate of fire: Schussrate.

If you follow the link in the first post, you will see my progress on the Translate tab. Any suggestions or corrections welcome!

And here's what it looks like so far!
image.png.2f298b4972aa6265d05503fd5070250f.png

I'd keep Stasis for the stasis rune. Works in German, too, and has much the same connotations. Stillstand is the translation of the German term Stasis, too, but is IMO slightly less concerned with processes and more with physical motion.

Tribe: Stamm

p.s. Why do you have a "Fruit Basket" rune?

Huh? I don't see any "Obstkorb" in that example. "Fruchtbar" is the German adjective "fertile", literally "fruit bearing" (or "able to produce fruit") with fruit also referring to any kind of offspring, production, or harvest, and the suffix "-keit" makes it a noun, fertility.

Edited by Joerg

Thanks for all that!

49 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I'd keep Stasis for the stasis rune. Works in German, too, and has much the same connotations. Stillstand is the translation of the German term Stasis, too, but is IMO slightly less concerned with processes and more with physical motion.

Stillstand is in the Quickstart so I'm going with that as the official translation. If you disagree, talk to Julia!

49 minutes ago, Joerg said:

"Fruchtbar" is the German adjective "fertile", literally "fruit bearing" (or "able to produce fruit") with fruit also referring to any kind of offspring, production, or harvest, and the suffix "-keit" makes it a noun, fertility.

"Fruitbasket" was just a joke based on what "Fruchtbarkeit" looks and sounds like. We make a lot of jokes based around the German language, it just sounds hilarious to us sometimes. I think it's because we have a lot of rude words that are derived from Saxon and Nordic words due to our French aristocracy 900 years ago.

Thanks again! I'll post a new list of needs tomorrow.

For the most cases I would go with Joerg's proposal, but for some I would use other translations:

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Cult Lore

Kultkunde

I think I would like "Kultlehre" more, but that may be a matter of taste ...

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Sense Assassin

"Sense" can be translated as "fühlen", but that term has more similarity to "feel" than to "sense" in German. I guess I'd go for "wahrnehmen", which translates back as "perceive".

Assassin would be "Mörder", which translates back as murderer or killer, and doesn't convey the ambush situation. Perhaps "Attentäter" is better, so:

"Attentäter wahrnehmen." 

My proposal: "Assassinen spüren"
It's a valid translation to use "Assassine" for Assassin, which would also solve the translation issue Joerg has described.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Sense Chaos

"Chaos fühlen" - here I think that "feeling" the Chaos like people feel bad weather in old wounds conveys the correct connotations. 

I think here as well as above "spüren" is the better translation in this context.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Enc

Belastung

Maybe simply "Last" could be used here ...

45 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Maybe simply "Last" could be used here ...

Thanks, that might be useful if I have limited space. For the others, it doesn't really matter which I go for now, as I will "correct" them all to the official names when the full translation is complete.

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

My proposal: "Assassinen spüren"

It's a valid translation to use "Assassine" for Assassin, which would also solve the translation issue Joerg has described.

I think here as well as above "spüren" is the better translation in this context.

"Assassine" in German is a direct reference to the Hashishimi order. You might as well make that "Sense Ninja" IMO to illustrate the double-take I have at this proposal.

"Spüren" is good for "sense".

Ok here's my next list:

N/A
Random
Average
Excluding blanks
1/MR
Right Hind Leg
Left Hind Leg
Hindquarters
Forequarters
Right Foreleg
Left Foreleg

For all of the above, please can I have short, abbreviated versions for use in tight spaces, e.g. I use "ForeQ" for "Forequarters", "RForeL" for Right Foreleg", and "Excl blank" for "Excluding blanks".

That will conclude the core mechanics. After that it's professions, species, cults, cultures, languages, family background choices, and miscellaneous instructions text. Rather than keeping on posting here, I'd like to give someone direct access to my spreadsheet so they can read and enter them directly. @Joerg, @Oracle, do either of you have a Google Drive account? Alternative to Google is to just download or copy the list into other software and email me the results.

N/A

can remain, for the German "nicht anwendbar"

Random

Zufalls- in combined words, like Zufallszahl for Random Number, or zufällig as adjective.

Average

Durchschnitt (as a noun), durchschnittlich (as adjective)

Excluding blanks

I need to see the context for this. "Ohne Leerstellen?"

1/MR

1/KR, I'd guess (Kampfrunde for Melee Round)

Right Hind Leg, Left Hind Leg

rechtes/linkes Hinterbein

Hindquarters

Kuppe (with horses at least), Kreuz, hinterer Körper

Forequarters

Brust (same as chest), vorderer Körper

Right Foreleg, Left Foreleg

rechtes/linkes Vorderbein

I'll check whether my android account still gives me access to a Google drive.

10 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Ok here's my next list:

N/A
Random
Average
Excluding blanks
1/MR
Right Hind Leg
Left Hind Leg
Hindquarters
Forequarters
Right Foreleg
Left Foreleg

For all of the above, please can I have short, abbreviated versions for use in tight spaces, e.g. I use "ForeQ" for "Forequarters", "RForeL" for Right Foreleg", and "Excl blank" for "Excluding blanks".

That will conclude the core mechanics. After that it's professions, species, cults, cultures, languages, family background choices, and miscellaneous instructions text. Rather than keeping on posting here, I'd like to give someone direct access to my spreadsheet so they can read and enter them directly. @Joerg, @Oracle, do either of you have a Google Drive account? Alternative to Google is to just download or copy the list into other software and email me the results.

@PhilHibbs: I've sent you a forum PM with my translation proposals.