Are beginning characters 'Special'?

Tywyll

4 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

What it says on the tin. Are all 18-21 year olds as skilled as a beginning characters are? Or are PCs 'special' somehow?

Special is probably over-stating it, but the way I see it is they are among the best that their generation has produced, the most dedicated and adventurous. So no, not all are as skilled, but not for any special reason.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Use Runequest 2 for normal dudes. In YGMV the reason rune magic is no longer 1 for non rune priest use at least in my minds eye is that as the barrier between realms thinned and the heroes wars kick off the gods are less stingy with their spells since the universe is at risk.  The big change occurs with the resurrection of Oranth and Ernalda.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 3:09 AM, Tywyll said:

What it says on the tin. Are all 18-21 year olds as skilled as a beginning characters are? Or are PCs 'special' somehow?

One beginning character dived into a pool of POT 20 acid to get a crystal.  He was special.  Another walked into a cave full of trolls.  Everyone thought he was special too.

Lots of beginning characters are special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Joking aside, I do think starting RQG characters are a cut above your average Gloranthan, even your average veteran. They're on the cusp of noteworthiness, if not quite greatness. They've caught the eyes of the big movers-and-shakers. They promising.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

One beginning character dived into a pool of POT 20 acid to get a crystal.  He was special.  Another walked into a cave full of trolls.  Everyone thought he was special too.

On our world we have an award for such "special" individuals: the Darwin Award!

3 hours ago, RHW said:

Joking aside, I do think starting RQG characters are a cut above your average Gloranthan, even your average veteran. They're on the cusp of noteworthiness, if not quite greatness. They've caught the eyes of the big movers-and-shakers. They promising.

Or as I was calling them last year after rolling a couple... near superheroes. A wee exaggeration but... they are not granddad's adventures.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Back to the original question... if they survive the first adventure, and the next, and the next, and so on, and become Rune Lords and go on hero quests and become demigods, then yes they were special. If they got killed by a 01 critical in the first scenario (I'm looking at you, Vasana in my game), then clearly they were not special.