Rules for prosthetics and sleeping in armor

Brootse

In our last session a duck lost his leg to rubble runners and carved himself a pegleg and an Aeolian slept with his armor on. Looks like that there aren't rules for handling those situations in RQG. Yozarian from The Money Tree seemed to only change his hitpoints to armor points in the injured leg in RQ3, so I just gave the duck -20% to all skills involving moving on legs. For the Aeolian I used D&D 3.5 edition rules, ie. no running and -2 to STR and DEX until a proper rest.

What rules would you use for those situations? Also what kind of rules would you use for hook hands?

e: And for eye patches? Yes, this will be a pirate campaign.

Edited by Brootse

I think I would have halved anything related to movement (it's easier). But this would be for a temporary penalty, for a more permanent one a -20 sounds about fair. I wouldn't do anything about STR or DEX though, I'd just got along with the -20 when the resistance is used and it is suited. 

• Like 1

I would created new suite of Peg-Leg based skills, same as the un-injured skills, but used when facing a Peg-Leg handicap.

I would use the 50% Similar Sills rule to set a new base skills for the Peg-Leg varietals, and make the PC re-learn the skills.

I would reduce the PC's Movement rate by 2ish points.

---

Hook hands I'd treat like a curved dagger.

---

Sleeping in armor I'd rule a bad night's sleep; I thought there were exhaustion rules?  And I'd rule the PC is stiff & sore, and apply penalties to all large-scale movement (including combat, marching down the trail, etc); said penalties could be worked out with a quarter-hour-ish of dedicated stretching-it-out, or just gradually working through it, fixing breakfast & caring for mounts/draft-beasts, breaking camp, etc ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

35 minutes ago, g33k said:

... Sleeping in armor I'd rule a bad night's sleep; I thought there were exhaustion rules? 

Aaaand the Index of my RQG says not.  Nor Fatigue.

OTOH I don't have access to my e-copies, so a "real" search will have to wait.

C'es ne pas un .sig

In our last RQIII campaign, one guy wanted to keep his (metal) armor to sleep. Ou GM ruled that he can't sleep. And not sleeping meant being unable to recover from fatigue. RQG has no fatigue rule (or if it has, I haven't found them), but a hefty malus on all activities can solve that: -30% for a missing night, plus another 10% for each 2 or 3 extra hours of unrest.

• Like 1

Fatigue points (FP) in RQIII used to be STR + CON - ENC. Each melee round you would lose 1 FP and when into the negatives it would be used as a penalty (for attack rolls most notably). Most groups never used these rules, we certainly didn't ^^ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jps said:

Fatigue points (FP) in RQIII used to be STR + CON - ENC. Each melee round you would lose 1 FP and when into the negatives it would be used as a penalty (for attack rolls most notably). Most groups never used these rules, we certainly didn't ^^ 

RQ3 Fatigue rules were one of the reasons I never bought the AH edition of RQ.  In hindsight, I wish I had (and HR'ed the unpalatable bits).

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 minutes ago, g33k said:

RQ3 Fatigue rules were one of the reasons I never bought the AH edition of RQ.  In hindsight, I wish I had (and HR'ed the unpalatable bits).

They really weren't that bad though. In most cases the fights were short enough that fatigue didn't play a factor. We'd just note who had the lowest FPs and not bother with it until we got to that point, if we even did. The -1% could really be ignored until it built up a bit. 

A simplier way to present that rule would have been a -5% modifier every minute (five rounds) with the characters getting a pass for a certain number of rounds based on STR+CON. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

It's a shame there is no Endurance spell, which in part is probably due to the fact that there isn't a game mechanic for it to hang off. It was a nice speciality to have, to be the one party member who could carry on through the night and not be knackered at daybreak.

1 hour ago, ChalkLine said:

In reality you can sleep in light armour. Restrictive 'rigid' armour stops you breathing properly though, even when drunk (guess how I know this! :D)

In reality you can sleep just about any armor, you just won't be that conformable, sleep well, be soaking wet,  dehydrated, stiff, sore, and overheated or freezing cold when you wake up.

While rigid armor is stiff, and more flexible armor is somewhat more comfortable, the gambeson or other padding is very hot, which will cause the wearer to perspire, causing the padding to get wet. Especially if the the wearer has been traveling around all day in it. Once wet it should transfer body heat faster and cool off quickly, especially if worn under metal armor, leaving the wearer cold and wet-which could be dangerous depending on temperate where he does this. 

It will much like what happens when you walk around outside with too much clothing for the weather, and what happens when you have a fever and wake up with wet sheets and blankets. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jps said:

Yeah, same.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, g33k said:

I would created new suite of Peg-Leg based skills, same as the un-injured skills, but used when facing a Peg-Leg handicap.

I would use the 50% Similar Sills rule to set a new base skills for the Peg-Leg varietals, and make the PC re-learn the skills.

I would reduce the PC's Movement rate by 2ish points.

---

Hook hands I'd treat like a curved dagger.

---

Sleeping in armor I'd rule a bad night's sleep; I thought there were exhaustion rules?  And I'd rule the PC is stiff & sore, and apply penalties to all large-scale movement (including combat, marching down the trail, etc); said penalties could be worked out with a quarter-hour-ish of dedicated stretching-it-out, or just gradually working through it, fixing breakfast & caring for mounts/draft-beasts, breaking camp, etc ...

Relearning skills would be realistic, but imo too cumbersome a mechanic. I'm using RQ3 rules for most nonmagical things, is 2 movement points a quarter of the new movement rate? And there are no exhaustion rules in RQG.

23 hours ago, Kloster said:

In our last RQIII campaign, one guy wanted to keep his (metal) armor to sleep. Ou GM ruled that he can't sleep. And not sleeping meant being unable to recover from fatigue. RQG has no fatigue rule (or if it has, I haven't found them), but a hefty malus on all activities can solve that: -30% for a missing night, plus another 10% for each 2 or 3 extra hours of unrest.

Sounds good and that's also a simple rule to keep.

8 hours ago, ChalkLine said:

In reality you can sleep in light armour. Restrictive 'rigid' armour stops you breathing properly though, even when drunk (guess how I know this! :D)

hahaha, nice

And yeah, the D&D 3.5 rules allow characters to sleep in light armours without any negative consequences. Light armours being chain shirt and helmet, padded armour, or leather armour.

6 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

In reality you can sleep just about any armor, you just won't be that conformable, sleep well, be soaking wet,  dehydrated, stiff, sore, and overheated or freezing cold when you wake up.

While rigid armor is stiff, and more flexible armor is somewhat more comfortable, the gambeson or other padding is very hot, which will cause the wearer to perspire, causing the padding to get wet. Especially if the the wearer has been traveling around all day in it. Once wet it should transfer body heat faster and cool off quickly, especially if worn under metal armor, leaving the wearer cold and wet-which could be dangerous depending on temperate where he does this. 

It will much like what happens when you walk around outside with too much clothing for the weather, and what happens when you have a fever and wake up with wet sheets and blankets.

Makes sense. So what kind of rules would you suggest?

Edited by Brootse

It's a pity that RQG lacks endurance rules. Good endurance rules makes for interesting situations in games when you're tracking enemies. Surprisingly D&D 3.5 had working rules, but they are a bit difficult to alter to RQG. And Runequest definitely needs rules for prosthetics :). I remember reading about some early playtest where someone suggested renaming Runequest to Golfbagquest because one is needed to carry all the chopped off limbs.

30 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Makes sense. So what kind of rules would you suggest?

How about the character would need to make CONx5% roll against fatigue with a peanlty equal to 5% per point of ENC for his armor, with up to +/- 25% situational modfier for stuff such as the armor  got wet of if the weather was extreme (hot weather means he swats more, cold weather means the metal was aware more body heat, lots of exertion, rain, fell into a river, etc.)?

If he fails he suffers a -20% penalty to his skills for the next day.

That would seem simple and flexible enough to work.Sleeping a soft leather would be a lot easier to get away with than sleeping if full plate.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Brootse said:

It's a pity that RQG lacks endurance rules. Good endurance rules makes for interesting situations in games when you're tracking enemies. Surprisingly D&D 3.5 had working rules, but they are a bit difficult to alter to RQG. And Runequest definitely needs rules for prosthetics :). I remember reading about some early playtest where someone suggested renaming Runequest to Golfbagquest because one is needed to carry all the chopped off limbs.

I agree. I’d have to check for specifics but Decipher did a pretty good job at this. There were different level of fatigue and, if my memory serves me well, if you missed a roll, your fatigue level got worse (penalizing you both in movement and skills’ checks).

We could do the same about RuneQuest, on a nutshell that could around those lines:

Winded: -1 movement, -10% to appropriate skill check

Tired: -2 movement, -25 to appropriate skill check

Exhausted: movement and appropriate skill checks halved

To shift from one state to another (for instance Fresh -no penalty-) to the next (Winded) you will have to fail at a CONxX (usually 5) roll.

It’s a first draft but the idea is: let’s keep it simple.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, jps said:

Winded: -1 movement, -10% to appropriate skill check

Tired: -2 movement, -25 to appropriate skill check

Exhausted: movement and appropriate skill checks halved

To shift from one state to another (for instance Fresh -no penalty-) to the next (Winded) you will have to fail at a CONxX (usually 5) roll.

This is basically the way Mythras does it, with a few extra bells and whistles. I found it a pretty easy system to use. I'd say that in your super-simple RQG system skill checks that are normally [characteristic] x 5 become x4 in winded, x3 in tired and x2 in exhausted.