What the heck... Check that out!

Bill the barbarian

47 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

OMG, this game... that's ridiculous! Sure, introduce paragraphs of special rules about experience gain for one skill!

Yeah, I know,  that was the reason this thread existed. It is impossible to catch all that.

IMPOSSIBLE! let me say it again... IM POSS I BLE!
With 400 pages of rules, 7 editions of game spread over 40ish years.... This thread is a very necessary one if you wish to have a chance to stay on top of our fave game!

And a damn good reason for the thread to continue to exist. I am hoping that now that folk see it is a necessary tool to be able to catch all these little rule differences that sharp eyes and minds can find; the oddities,  the rule changes from earlier versions. You know, for us older and less sharp eyed and minded grognards. And for the newcomers looking at what will be over 1000 pages of rules in the core system before the end of 2020.

Find them, cite them, discuss them... Hell offer house rule alternatives for them if ya wish. As time permits, and my health... I will be resurrecting a few of these geriatric puppies. Oldies but goldies! Like me :)

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

It’s also sometimes very hard to tell which rules are intentional, and which are cut&paste artefacts. Is it design, or leftover?

All the more reason to find 'em, cite 'em and discuss ‘em, eh! I mean... what the heck, check out the title eh!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

On 4/18/2019 at 12:40 AM, Jeff said:

Plenty of people used the special Ride experience rules - I did, Greg did, Dunham did, Sandy did, etc.  That's how characters who spent a long time in Prax got to be good riders even if they weren't making a lot of ride rolls. It could also be handled through Experience Between Adventures, but we thought it would be better to let folk who are spending a lot of time Riding to just get the experience rolls.

Jeff

Actually, this is a really good model for any sort of "lifestyle" skills; like, if there are any wholly-shipbound cultures in Glorantha(?), where kids are born on board, grow up, live their lives, and die... coming ashore only to harvest trees to build new ships or repair old ones.

Etc...

It looks to me like it's an error to consider this "a special experience rule for Riding" -- it should be a default rule for skills that are  raised-from-birth / day-in-day-out  skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

24 minutes ago, g33k said:

It looks to me like it's an error to consider this "a special experience rule for Riding" -- it should be a default rule for skills that are  raised-from-birth / day-in-day-out  skills.

See. that’s what I am talking about, The only request I have is seeing as this is an area to point out rules we are not quite sure about remember to cite rules, so others can verify your sightings of oddities, and if it is a house rule or an opinion for discussion be like g33k and mention that.

Cheers

since there is now a "between adventure" experience,

I would change "At the end of each season, an adventurer can select up to four occupational skills and cult skills and cultural skill* (but not weapon) to get an experience check. These experience checks are resolved at the same time as regular experience checks

*cultural skill = where you are. For example, an esrolian merchant in prax use prax cultural skill"

then erase the specific ride rules. It was very very usefull before the between adventure xp

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

OMG, this game... that's ridiculous! Sure, introduce paragraphs of special rules about experience gain for one skill!

I always get surprised by RPGs where specific skill descriptions have specific rules that go along with it -- not nearly an RQG-only problem but yes, I often make the mistake of assuming a skill is self-explanatory when, really, there's a chance there's more to it.

But in the case of the Riding skill, I agree with @g33k that these look more like good general rules for any skill, really. Ideally, this paragraph would actually be moved to the "Experience Gain Rolls" chapter and presented as an example.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

It’s also sometimes very hard to tell which rules are intentional, and which are cut&paste artefacts. Is it design, or leftover?

YES :( Which is why I'd really love it if Chaosium would spend some time in 2020 to really go through the whole RQG text again and release a 1.1 version or something.

23 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

For example, an esrolian merchant in prax use prax cultural skill

I probably would not put this in a house rule per se, and instead just add a blurb about the GM having the ability to use common sense for what a character did between adventures that might warrant an experience roll. For example, consider a Praxian currently visiting Esrolia as a mercenary/bodyguard. If you write the rules like that, the Praxian could get an experience roll in any Esrolian cultural skill. To give a few examples:

• Farm: probably not? I don't imagine our bodyguard is killing time plowing the fields around Nochet? Or maybe it's because she can see farmers working all around her, so she's picking up a few things... but is that really worth a full 1d6? (maybe 1d6-2?)
  • Intrigue: maybe? She can hear Esrolians being up to no good at the tavern or something?
  • Customs (Esrolian): Yes, definitely!
  • Spirit Combat: Nope.

So to reiterate, I think using the cultural skills list of the place you're spending your time at is a great recommendation for GM, but probably not as a "proper rule".

Of course, you could also take this rule in the other way: sure, the Praxian can pick any cultural skill, but that will influence the next adventure! The player picked "Farm" and "Intrigue"? Okay then, by next season, the mercenary has somehow become involved in some political feud between 2 rich farming families!

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

8 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

since there is now a "between adventure" experience,

I would change "At the end of each season, an adventurer can select up to four occupational skills and cult skills and cultural skill* (but not weapon) to get an experience check. These experience checks are resolved at the same time as regular experience checks

*cultural skill = where you are. For example, an esrolian merchant in prax use prax cultural skill"

then erase the specific ride rules. It was very very usefull before the between adventure xp

I don't recall RAW, but a Praxian in Notchet should also have their occupational skills limited as well. 

Some skills are just not going to be used. And we could argue how much could be learned from just watching (if you're even allowed to watch! I'm thinking craft skills here).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I don't recall RAW, but a Praxian in Notchet should also have their occupational skills limited as well. 

Some skills are just not going to be used. And we could argue how much could be learned from just watching (if you're even allowed to watch! I'm thinking craft skills here).

I didn't think about but you're right

Well the conclusion should be "GM gives the list of allowed skills", by default occupation but "Experience Between Adventures May Vary"

15 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I always get surprised by RPGs where specific skill descriptions have specific rules that go along with it -- not nearly an RQG-only problem but yes, I often make the mistake of assuming a skill is self-explanatory when, really, there's a chance there's more to it.

But in the case of the Riding skill, I agree with @g33k that these look more like good general rules for any skill, really. Ideally, this paragraph would actually be moved to the "Experience Gain Rolls" chapter and presented as an example.

YES :( Which is why I'd really love it if Chaosium would spend some time in 2020 to really go through the whole RQG text again and release a 1.1 version or something.

I probably would not put this in a house rule per se, and instead just add a blurb about the GM having the ability to use common sense for what a character did between adventures that might warrant an experience roll. For example, consider a Praxian currently visiting Esrolia as a mercenary/bodyguard. If you write the rules like that, the Praxian could get an experience roll in any Esrolian cultural skill. To give a few examples:

• Farm: probably not? I don't imagine our bodyguard is killing time plowing the fields around Nochet? Or maybe it's because she can see farmers working all around her, so she's picking up a few things... but is that really worth a full 1d6? (maybe 1d6-2?)
  • Intrigue: maybe? She can hear Esrolians being up to no good at the tavern or something?
  • Customs (Esrolian): Yes, definitely!
  • Spirit Combat: Nope.

So to reiterate, I think using the cultural skills list of the place you're spending your time at is a great recommendation for GM, but probably not as a "proper rule".

Of course, you could also take this rule in the other way: sure, the Praxian can pick any cultural skill, but that will influence the next adventure! The player picked "Farm" and "Intrigue"? Okay then, by next season, the mercenary has somehow become involved in some political feud between 2 rich farming families!

Agree too, but in my vision (before the answers) I would say that "a nomad barbarian may discover how esrolian farm and learn something by discussing, blablabla" Of course a large part of praxians don't care.

I believe that a lot of players playing a praxian warrior will not pick up farm skill even if it is allowed, but it could be an opportunity (OMG illumination ?)