Sartar Clan Book Suggestion

svensson

So the discussion of weregild and other topis over this last weekend suggested an idea for a product.

In RQ3 the Dorastor Land of Doom scenario book had several things going for it [including the Scorpion-woman Sword of Humakt, but nevermind...], but one of the best things about it was depth of detail of the Renakoti clan.

The clan leaders and personalities were all sketched out and it went into really impressive detail on the nuts and bolts of being a Heortling Orlanthi clan. Things like what it takes to run a successful steading, how to get heard by the lawspeaker, what the various levels of guest privileges are, and so forth. Previous to this, our exposure to Heortling clans was from the top downwards... always from the Clan Ring's perspective and the Renekoti showed life is like behind the plow, so to speak.

Seems to me that with the drastically changed political situation in Sartar a book describing one clan in RQG terms would be helpful, not as an adventure scenario book but as a 'this is where you're from' standpoint.

What do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You might want to check out @Ian Cooper's Red Cow Volumes:

https://www.chaosium.com/the-coming-storm-hardcover/

https://www.chaosium.com/the-eleven-lights-hardcover/

Although for HQG they have a fully developed clan - the Red Cow, set against the Lunar downfall in Sartar. Then look at this thread:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

23 minutes ago, svensson said:

Seems to me that with the drastically changed political situation in Sartar a book describing one clan in RQG terms would be helpful, not as an adventure scenario book but as a 'this is where you're from' standpoint.

What do you guys think?

If not as a scenario book, what would make this a RuneQuest Glorantha product?

We do have an in-depth description of a clan in The Coming Storm and The Eleven Lights leading up to the Dragonrise. The actual composition of the clan leaders at the time of the Dragonrise is up to how the events of the Eleven Lights campaign turn out, but it is quite likely that the dithering clan chief with his Lunar-appeasing policy will be out of office before then, and otherwise that he'll be out of office as soon as the Lunar occupation crumbles.

What we could do is an adaptation of what the Red Cow clan would look like after the Dragonrise in both HQG terms and in RQG terms. I had the opportunity to play in a test game of Ian's Dragonrise Heroquest scenario, and the characters Ian handed out would be a good guess for the next generation of Red Cow leadership, with a few political survivors of the previous ring mixed in.

I hope that we can find a format which provides at least some ongoing support for the HeroQuest line. Possibly in the shape of the aperiodical Wyrms Footnotes, which would be a way for Chaosium to provide additional support for its line without having to adhere to the much higher standard of regular publications - black and white only illustrations still are the accepted standard for magazines, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

With both the clan rules from Dorastor Land of Doom, those in Red Cow and the rules for Sacred Time in the RQG Rulebook, there are a lot of rules for Clans.

What would be useful would be something to tie them all together, whether something official or a fan-page somewhere.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 hours ago, soltakss said:

With both the clan rules from Dorastor Land of Doom, those in Red Cow and the rules for Sacred Time in the RQG Rulebook, there are a lot of rules for Clans.

What would be useful would be something to tie them all together, whether something official or a fan-page somewhere.

I'm in no way a content designer - but it could a kind of overview of a hypothetical "typical" Heortling clan first and foremost - but then go into some specific example, choosing different sizes, different mythic past, different areas, and being involved in different events - and show how the basic structure could be varied and implemented in different campaigns.

Is that feasible? I dunno. Would it be popular? I have no idea.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 4:59 AM, soltakss said:

I’m missing the rules for Clan Support and Resource Crises from HeroQuest. Is there an equivalent in RQG? I’m running the 11 Lights in RQG, but I haven’t found a satisfying way to depict the fluctuations to the clans resources in RQG. HQ has a great system for that.

• Like 2