RQ with Less Theism

Crel

So I've been thinking a bit, and realized that both my experience as a player (RQ3 with lots of house rules) and as a GM (RQG with some houserules) has been rather light on Rune magic. I've never actually participated in a game where anyone worshiped any of the Lightbringers, which feels like the sort of "default" for RQ. Spirit magic/shamanism and sorcery have been the broad go-to's of my playgroup--even in my RQG game it's not instinctive for my players to use Rune magic, and we've been playing some months. I'm curious if anyone else on here has ended up with a similar play "meta" and/or has advice for playing within such a milieu.

For context of my own experience:

RQ3 party: A Knight-Sorcerer, an anti-undead sorcerer, an ancestor-worshipping shaman, an undead-using sorcerer, an occasional trickster, and a recurring warrior (who died and rerolled somewhat frequently) who most recently worshiped Yelmalio. Most notable houserules include an abomination mixing RQ3 sorcery, Petersen's Presence-based sorcery, and his RQ3 Tekumel sorcery (which led to a bunch of sorcerers in the party). All humans. We ended up in a Lunar context, but started in Pavis without affiliations.

RQG party: A pair of troll sorcerer brothers, a morokanth assistant shaman, and a Praxian Waha initiate (no shaman stuff learned). In Pavis, loosely allied with Argrath's forces.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Sure, you could play like that and it would work.

I prefer my PCs and PCs in my campaigns, to join cults, as they get a richer experience, in my opinion.

But, the Animist who does not tie to a cult, the Sorcerer who remains aloof from any sects and the Outsider who hasn't initiated to a cult are all valid and interesting PC options.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I ran a Griffin Island campaign when I was younger in which all my players used spirit magic or sorcery. It was fine, but as a party they were the least RuneQuesty (yeah, I know, just go with it) that I ever GMed for. No cult affiliations meant less integration into the world. More like a D&D party. However, Griffin Island was non-Gloranthan anyway, so that didn't help.

Yeah, I mean we've all always had a blast playing the system. I'm not sure I'd say "Gods are the only true way to RQ!" or "This is Unique and Better!" or anything like that, but just realized that my own experience is somewhat off-norm, and was curious if anyone else had similar.

18 hours ago, Sumath said:

It was fine, but as a party they were the least RuneQuesty

I find this interesting, because that's sort of my "this is what a RuneQuesty game is." A fair amount of big magic, but most of it sorcery, not divine/Rune magic. More defined by the grittiness of the combat in comparison to PFRPG, than by a sense of cultures or connections.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

13 hours ago, Crel said:

Yeah, I mean we've all always had a blast playing the system. I'm not sure I'd say "Gods are the only true way to RQ!" or "This is Unique and Better!" or anything like that, but just realized that my own experience is somewhat off-norm, and was curious if anyone else had similar.

I find this interesting, because that's sort of my "this is what a RuneQuesty game is." A fair amount of big magic, but most of it sorcery, not divine/Rune magic. More defined by the grittiness of the combat in comparison to PFRPG, than by a sense of cultures or connections.

Understand that RQ before RQG had nearly nothing to do with Runes mechanically anyway.  So the system before RQG *was* almost exclusively defined by:
- crunchy combat

- skills not classes

- MP for spells, not Vancian magic.

- mostly played in a weird non Tolkienesque fantasy world with ducks

....none of these having anything to do with Runes in the slightest.  In fact, the pre-RQG approach to Divine Spells was...basically Vancian magic. (the horror!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly in RQ3 we had so little opportunities to raise our POW, and our GM loved throwing spirits and whatever resistance rolls at us, that we very rarely used Divine Magic.

We also had maybe 2 or 3 spirit magic points and that we used mostly for heals and light. Magic was mostly used by enemies and NPCs. 

34 minutes ago, gochie said:

Honestly in RQ3 we had so little opportunities to raise our POW, and our GM loved throwing spirits and whatever resistance rolls at us, that we very rarely used Divine Magic.

We also had maybe 2 or 3 spirit magic points and that we used mostly for heals and light. Magic was mostly used by enemies and NPCs. 

Spirit combat should give you POW gain rolls. It doesn't seem to in RQG, but it did in RQ3.

10 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Wut? Links please! I would love to check that out.

Here, along with other systems. I'm not personally much familiar with Tekumel, but more a bastardized version forcibly imprinted on top of Glorantha. It's weird. It's really weird. I'd not call the PDF linked on that page actually representative of the game I play in, but it's sort of the starting point.