Egregious munchkinnery!

PhilHibbs

13 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

You mean, a Kolati? Makes absolutely perfect sense to me!

Various deity cults have a pathway to shaman for their priests/esses. The problem seems to be getting the sorcery legitimately, along with the other two pathways of magic.

In fact, a lot of cults allow to be a shaman in addition to being an initiate. Very few allow to be both a shaman and a priest, few allow to be both priest and sorceror and none (currently) allow to be simultaneously shaman, priest and sorceror. It was feasible with RQIII with a very specialized trollpack trick.

Edited by Kloster
add RQIII trollpack

43 minutes ago, Kloster said:

If you want to go that way, create a Tarshite Seven Mothers initiate Assistant Shaman. That way, he could also learn sorcery, in addition to the rune spells, the spirit magic and the (later) shaman powers.

Trick there is that you wouldn't get to start with any Sorcery (AFAIK only Lhankor Mhy provides a cult option for learning Sorcery), but you could pick it up later, maybe a lot later. 

35 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

You mean, a Kolati? Makes absolutely perfect sense to me!

I suppose that's what I mean? Assuming a Kolati's a Orlanth-worshipping shaman. The way I see it, it feels plausible for a lot of cults to have an initiate who engages in shamanism, but probably not priest/esses save those specifically noting them. But even just being an initiate gives tons of goodies in RQG. If I ever get to actually play an adventurer, that's probably the blend I'd try. Spell Extension buffs from Shaman + Extension'd Flight Rune magic sounds dope. Fly around zapping dudes all superhero-style.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

Can you imagine how annoying an ordinary party of adventurers would find hanging out with an int 21 pc? Delicious. I would make an incrediably low int Duck beserker to counter them. 

That Berserker should have a high POW to resist its companions' attempts to cast Enhance INT on it, then...

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Was that RQ or HQ?  Never played HQ and I can not remember seeing it mentioned in any RQ I have played.

My alzheimers may have kicked in... My memory says I saw a 1 or 2 line bit in a book under Orlanth, stating that Kolat was an Associated cult (because of their relationship), and so Kolat gave a rune spell... And that was it! (IIRC, not even a write-up on Kolat in that book)

I'm not finding it in my materials :(

• Thanks 1

Impala Riders get +2 DEX. Combine that with Water as your highest Elemental Rune, and 21 DEX is achievable on a roll of 17, there's +15 to your weapon skills all on its own. Remember that these bonuses cannot take you above species maximum (21). Humakti gifts can, so your Impala Rider Humakti can have a DEX of 25 for the low low price of 12 geases!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Impala Riders get +2 DEX. Combine that with Water as your highest Elemental Rune, and 21 DEX is achievable on a roll of 17, there's +15 to your weapon skills all on its own. Remember that these bonuses cannot take you above species maximum (21). Humakti gifts can, so your Impala Rider Humakti can have a DEX of 25 for the low low price of 12 geases!

How did you get 12 geasa?

Firstly, an Initiate of Humakt is only allowed 3 geasa upon initiation - and so even if it were the non-raisable, you could only take it 3 times, each with 3 geasa, for a total of 9 geasa... not 12. Those 9 would only take you to 24 at character creation. Obviously, if you became a Sword, you could get the last point, but for a 5% boost???

Secondly, by my reckoning, DEX is a "raisable characteristic", and thus would only require1 geas per point of DEX, not 3 as above. (DEX can be trained off-season)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

12 geases (no idea of the plural)! That poor individual would be so regimented he wouldn't know whether to sh** or go blind.

"Excuse me, sir, can you direct me to the nearest riddler?"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Firstly, an Initiate of Humakt is only allowed 3 geasa upon initiation - and so even if it were the non-raisable, you could only take it 3 times, each with 3 geasa, for a total of 9 geasa... not 12.

Spoilsport.

Secondly, by my reckoning, DEX is a "raisable characteristic", and thus would only require1 geas per point of DEX, not 3 as above. (DEX can be trained off-season)

Once it hits 21 it's "non-raisable".

Edited by PhilHibbs

If you pick #17 for your Family Heirloom, don't take Bladesharp or Bludgeon as the matrix. It will become redundant if you later learn the spell at a higher level. Strength will give you an improved damage bonus and +10% to hit anyway (and on all skills and weapons, not just the sword) and is stackable with Bladesharp. The same applies for any matrix gained, always go for a non-variable spell.

9 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

If you pick #17 for your Family Heirloom, don't take Bladesharp or Bludgeon as the matrix. It will become redundant if you later learn the spell at a higher level. Strength will give you an improved damage bonus and +10% to hit anyway (and on all skills and weapons, not just the sword) and is stackable with Bladesharp. The same applies for any matrix gained, always go for a non-variable spell.

This. I picked darkwall as it is only two points and a phenomenally useful spell.

56 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Is that a rule somewhere? (I mean, other than the species max bit...). Would a god care about your species max?

No, the species max bit looks like a sufficient block.  The RQG core book doesn't let you go any higher, which makes it... well... non-raisable.

But as noted, a God can bypass that, e.g. Humakt raising a non-raisable stat.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Not sure whether this is munchkinnery, but rather than getting weird geasa for extraordinary skills, I would prefer my "impossible" stat raises through heroquesting without such strings attached. Sure, you will gain some new enmity from someone supposed to be recurring, but that means more heroquesting opportunities.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

35 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Not sure whether this is munchkinnery, but rather than getting weird geasa for extraordinary skills, I would prefer my "impossible" stat raises through heroquesting without such strings attached. Sure, you will gain some new enmity from someone supposed to be recurring, but that means more heroquesting opportunities.

Heroquesting, the ultimate egregious munchkinnery!

• Haha 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

48 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Well, unless you're Humakti or Yelmalian, you wouldn't be getting those strings, nor stats, anyway! (well, you could always get yourself a Chaos trait... would you allow a DI to choose your own? 🤣🤣🤣)