Egregious munchkinnery!

PhilHibbs

27 minutes ago, davecake said:

doing a large amount of boring busywork about how many days you spend meditating to have a chance at casting that Enhance INT which is just used to enhance your Free INT for the next spell that takes several days to cast as well,

Ummm... why would you do that?

Just figure out what the bonus to INT will be at max, then you know how much Free INT you have for your other castings.

I really do honestly think you're trying to make it sound a lot more difficult or complicated than it actually is. Besides which, as you've said, some people would be ok with it (I certainly would be!) It really isn't all that hard!

Besides, for things like the Enhance INT, a lot of handwavium would be used, by assuming that at some point in the downtime, a successful casting of the spell at maximum has been done, as per my line above.

6 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Besides, for things like the Enhance INT, a lot of handwavium would be used, by assuming that at some point in the downtime, a successful casting of the spell at maximum has been done, as per my line above.

This is basically how it worked out in our last campaign where I had an LM sorcerer. After several sessions of me reporting all my downtime spell casting activities to the GM and double checking it he just said I can cast basically whatever I could calculate I had the resources and time for during time between adventures. Ended up with Enhance Int on all the time for at least a couple points, Boon of Kargan Tor +3d6 on everyone's everything, Logic (or whatever the Knowledge skill buffing one is), and Solace of the Logical Mind. The other spells he knew were more on demand like the Know Spirit one and the Map one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

This is basically how it worked out in our last campaign where I had an LM sorcerer. After several sessions of me reporting all my downtime spell casting activities to the GM and double checking it he just said I can cast basically whatever I could calculate I had the resources and time for during time between adventures. Ended up with Enhance Int on all the time for at least a couple points, Boon of Kargan Tor +3d6 on everyone's everything, Logic (or whatever the Knowledge skill buffing one is), and Solace of the Logical Mind. The other spells he knew were more on demand like the Know Spirit one and the Map one. 

Nice, except Logician is Active, and only affects 1 Knowledge skill at a time. I'd rule that any future casting over-rides the current (unless it doesn't have the points)

• Helpful 1

On 12/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Uh uh, PhilHibbs has egregiously discovered the image.png.eda1065615cc36eeba3ccd9e86e5777c.pngbutton.

Won't that be used in every thread?

• Off Topic 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Nice, except Logician is Active, and only affects 1 Knowledge skill at a time.

Gah, missed that it is Active!

That gets annoying. Suppose you are travelling - planning to use Survival to locate the plants IDed by Plant Lore as useful for Alchemy - with only one boosted at a time, no matter how much Free INT and magic points you've got, it'd be a nightmare...

• 2 months later...

Protective Circle will replicate spell affects on everyone already within a circle, and apply any "attack" spell to anyone entering the circle. This also applies to spirit and rune spells, but the duration is not extended by the circle. So any Rune spell would need lots of Extension, and spirit magic very limited. So how can we abuse it?

Flight. Anyone in the circle can fly! Only within the circle though...

Sword Trance. All our swordsmen are masters!

Shamans. Cast a spirit spell using your Spell Extension power! A spirit spell, maintained on everyone inside, for as long as you want. Fanaticism. Glamour. Protection. Strength. Take your pick. Bladesharp? Not sure... it's cast on a sword, and the spell says "anyone", not "anything".

Crack. All weapons and armour brought into the circle are shattered. But that's instant, I have an open question on the Q&A just now about that.

Bless Pregnancy. Now we're talking! You have to stay in the circle for the entire year, but you could have a dozen pregnant mothers crammed in, all blessed up.

Become (Other Shape). The possibilities are endless. (Ah, damit, that's "self" only, as is Remove (Body Part)...)

Bless Champion. We're all champions in here!

Invisibility.

Maybe Bless Pregnancy and Champion are optimistic, as they are ritual spells. And the Champion one needs a specific kind of ritual... not everyone's into that with multiple participants...

Edited by PhilHibbs

Spell Trading just got a boost in the Q&A, the word "priest" has been replaced with "initiate", so that opens up a lot more opportunities.

The wording is still there about the Earth and Nomad cults requiring a high priest to be present at the negotiations, so Vishi isn't going to trade much with Harmast, but he can now trade with Vasana and most of the other pregens.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Bladesharp? Not sure... it's cast on a sword, and the spell says "anyone", not "anything".

On 2/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Crack. All weapons and armour brought into the circle are shattered. But that's instant

you don't propose the same logic : both spells target anything, not anyone 🙂

and as it is instant I, as a GM (before firing you from my table 😛 ) would say that if anything is accepted by rules (not imo) it is instant so it is not for the next opponents who will enter after you cast the sepll

9 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

you don't propose the same logic : both spells target anything, not anyone 🙂

and as it is instant I, as a GM (before firing you from my table 😛 ) would say that if anything is accepted by rules (not imo) it is instant so it is not for the next opponents who will enter after you cast the sepll

I said I'm not sure, I just didn't say it twice. I hate redundantly repeating things repetitively over and over and over! And it's every munchkin's right to be inconsistent, and deny any inconsistency.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I said I'm not sure, I just didn't say it twice. I hate redundantly repeating things repetitively over and over and over! And it's every munchkin's right to be inconsistent, and deny any inconsistency.

sorry I m a little bit tired, and it seems I entered in a circle casting maybe berserker or something like that.

Hope I did not wound anyone 😢 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Protective Circle will replicate spell affects on everyone already within a circle, and apply any "attack" spell to anyone entering the circle. This also applies to spirit and rune spells, but the duration is not extended by the circle. So any Rune spell would need lots of Extension, and spirit magic very limited. So how can we abuse it?

Flight. Anyone in the circle can fly! Only within the circle though...

Sword Trance. All our swordsmen are masters!

Shamans. Cast a spirit spell using your Spell Extension power! A spirit spell, maintained on everyone inside, for as long as you want. Fanaticism. Glamour. Protection. Strength. Take your pick. Bladesharp? Not sure... it's cast on a sword, and the spell says "anyone", not "anything".

Crack. All weapons and armour brought into the circle are shattered. But that's instant, I have an open question on the Q&A just now about that.

Bless Pregnancy. Now we're talking! You have to stay in the circle for the entire year, but you could have a dozen pregnant mothers crammed in, all blessed up.

Become (Other Shape). The possibilities are endless. (Ah, damit, that's "self" only, as is Remove (Body Part)...)

Bless Champion. We're all champions in here!

Invisibility.

Maybe Bless Pregnancy and Champion are optimistic, as they are ritual spells. And the Champion one needs a specific kind of ritual... not everyone's into that with multiple participants...

Impede Chaos.

Now, how to find a way to make this Circle mobile... And walk through the Footprint...

(actually, this is a non-question, because sorcerers can create their own spells, and so could just make a mobile version of it! One simple change would be to make it Active instead of its current Passive.)

On 12/18/2022 at 4:14 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Nice, except Logician is Active, and only affects 1 Knowledge skill at a time. I'd rule that any future casting over-rides the current (unless it doesn't have the points)

The rules don't say that.  Perhaps they should, but they don't.  There is no reason why you can't have multiple boosted lores, just as you can have multiple weapons in your possession all with Boon of Kargan Tor cast on them.

51 minutes ago, Darius West said:

The rules don't say that.  Perhaps they should, but they don't.  There is no reason why you can't have multiple boosted lores, just as you can have multiple weapons in your possession all with Boon of Kargan Tor cast on them.

Other than... it's an Active spell! So, you'd need to make your concentration roll for each, and then you're limited in what you can do after (taking the max movement rate of 4m as a guide to the limitations).

So, yes, you're right in that it doesn't say that, and therefore 'no reason' other than the above... but it would be sensible. Also, why would one wander around with multiple Lores??

(BTW - BoKT is Passive, so completely different argument! As well as being on different weapons)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:19 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Has the enemy cast a Protective Circle? Lunar invaders, maybe?

Cast "Arouse Passion" on the circle, and choose "Loyalty (Sartar)". Or "Hate (their general)".

And then argue with the GM that it's not an attack spell...

em phat sass mine

This is very probably my fave piece of egregiousness here... the only way to make more munchkinerry that I can think of is holding blackmail evidence over his head while arguing the point about the spell's nature!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 4 months later...

The Asrelia spell Bounty increases the amount of food in a collection of it by 10%, permanently, without any limit, and without any restriction on further casting. Since compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe, this means that it takes only a moderate amount of Rune Points to generate arbitrarily high amounts of food over time. You certainly don’t have to farm or bothersome stuff like that. Your army can be easily supplied on the march. You can sell truly vast amounts of grain.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Haha 1