Jump to content
PhilHibbs

Warning: Egregious munchkinnery!

Recommended Posts

There are a couple of sure-fire ways to avoid taking any damage from that raging "murderbot".

Firstly, either of the two Teleportation spells. The shorter version lets you get to "anywhere that can be seen". The Guided to a fixed location.

Secondly, Flight... either on yourself, or on the Humakti - what can't hit you can't damage you.

Thirdly, Lunes or Shades... While the former are unlikely for our PCs, a Shade is possible, and the Fearshock effect can be handy. Also, it would make the Humakti blind and touch deprived. (sure, the Humakti can kill the thing, but that gives you a bit of time, and there's the chance the Shade will hurt it a bit!) Sylphs (Umbroli) can throw the Humakti a nice distance (possible into an area they can't attack you from).

Fourthly - Peace.... almost as much fun as Befuddle - but 15 minutes (and, RAW can't be resisted!) Just in time to have all their hard-earned preparation go to waste :)

I'm sure there's quite a few other options out there as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joerg said:

Heal the opposing Humakti. That is bound to break one of his geases.

Not in the current list of geasa.

Although, you could try throwing a pot of poison onto the sword in the hope  they've got that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initiating Spirit Combat

Spirit combat may occur between two discorporate entities (entirely within the Spirit World) or between a discorporate entity and an embodied entity (such as a human being) in the Middle World. It may not normally occur between two entities that reside entirely in the Middle World. Spirit combat may be initiated only by a discorporate being. A normal corporeal being may not initiate spirit combat. A shaman wishing to engage in spirit combat must first discorporate to begin spirit combat. For a non-shaman to discorporate requires the Rune spell Discorporation (see page 326). The spell takes one hour to cast, and cannot be used in situations where spirits ambush a party. If a spirit wishes to attack a corporeal being, the spirit makes itself visible in the Middle World the melee round prior to its first attack. Shamans can see the spirits at all times using Second Sight, and they would normally be aware of the spirit’s malign intention to attack before it becomes visible. If both combatants are already in the Spirit World, there is no delay. 

Emphasis Mine

Continued on Pg 366 core Rulebook

Edited by HreshtIronBorne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Initiating Spirit Combat

Spirit combat may occur between two discorporate entities (entirely within the Spirit World) or between a discorporate entity and an embodied entity (such as a human being) in the Middle World. It may not normally occur between two entities that reside entirely in the Middle World. Spirit combat may be initiated only by a discorporate being. A normal corporeal being may not initiate spirit combat. A shaman wishing to engage in spirit combat must first discorporate to begin spirit combat. For a non-shaman to discorporate requires the Rune spell Discorporation (see page 326). The spell takes one hour to cast, and cannot be used in situations where spirits ambush a party. If a spirit wishes to attack a corporeal being, the spirit makes itself visible in the Middle World the melee round prior to its first attack. Shamans can see the spirits at all times using Second Sight, and they would normally be aware of the spirit’s malign intention to attack before it becomes visible. If both combatants are already in the Spirit World, there is no delay. 

Emphasis Mine

Continued on Pg 366 core Rulebook

So, behind and above the Humakti?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Not to mention in the RAW as far as I can tell there is literally no reason a Humakti being attacked by a Spiti in spirit combat couldn't fight it with his iron sword with truesword and basically annihilate it instantly.

Yup, characters with enchanted and or iron weapons wreck spirits. Much quicker to stab a ghost then try and defeat them in spirit combat!

Edited by Tywyll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Well, I was only going by what was presented - and Shield/Countermagic wasn't presented :)

That's fair. I was making an assumption not explicit in the post, that murderbot.Humakt.exe would have some sort of antimagic bubble already up. If you manage to get them with a Befuddle, good on ya! (Though if they're a Rune Lord it might be tough... POW 21 resistance is no joke.)

4 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Not to mention in the RAW as far as I can tell there is literally no reason a Humakti being attacked by a Spiti in spirit combat couldn't fight it with his iron sword with truesword and basically annihilate it instantly.

I missed this, too. There's some dickering available about the actual numbers, but yeah most spirits just don't have enough POW to take more than two swings to slay. Still, I feel like a swarm of spirits might have a better shot than a swarm of trollkin--can't parry/dodge the ghost.

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Secondly, Flight... either on yourself, or on the Humakti - what can't hit you can't damage you.

Or cast Flight on the Humakti's buffed-up sword? Though I don't recall if the "can you cast Dullblade/other spell without overcoming POW" argument a while back ever actually was resolved... If there's a spirit in the sword, you'd definitely have to overcome that spirit. But I don't think you'd need to overcome a Countermagic or Shield on the Humakti himself? (Just maybe overcome his POW.)

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Fourthly - Peace.... almost as much fun as Befuddle - but 15 minutes (and, RAW can't be resisted!) Just in time to have all their hard-earned preparation go to waste :)

Only almost as fun? Knocks out everyone but Rune Masters from aggressive stuff. Also, I read the text as implying that it's a bit of a pain in the arse to get the spell (IIRC from book and forums become a High Priestess of Ernalda or Eiritha then go to the Paps and learn Peace from the Three Bean Circus). Apart from difficulty of access yeah, it's easily the most OP Rune spell in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Crel said:

Only almost as fun?

Yeah... With Befuddle you get to point and laugh at them... Then counter their magic, then coup de grace. (GM allowing).

With Peace, I'm not even sure you'd be allowed the pointing or laughing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shiningbrow said:

With Peace, I'm not even sure you'd be allowed the pointing or laughing.

Why not? You're not effected by the spell. It effects everyone but Rune masters IIRC and again IIRC, to gain the spell you must first be a Rune Priest, ergo...

But it's definitely bad form to point and laugh. Definitely bad form.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Crel said:

Also, I read the text as implying that it's a bit of a pain in the arse to get the spell (IIRC from book and forums become a High Priestess of Ernalda or Eiritha then go to the Paps and learn Peace from the Three Bean Circus)

True. I'm hoping Chalana Arroy can get their hands on it in the GaGoG. Very thematic and appropriate.

Besides, this is a munchkin thread :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding other options to the fun of annoying Humakti murderbots...

Crack the sword (presuming enchanted metals don't count as magical... And that's what's being wielded.

Hallucinate... Possibly more fun than the Befuddle option, but need to be mindlinked... Turning their allies into Broos would be fun :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Crel said:

Or cast Flight on the Humakti's buffed-up sword? Though I don't recall if the "can you cast Dullblade/other spell without overcoming POW"

Just flight the Humakti.

Not sure which resistance roll would be better, POW v POW, or vs STR...

I thought about Dullblade, but would need a super strength to be even mildly useful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Hallucinate... Possibly more fun than the Befuddle option, but need to be mindlinked... Turning their allies into Broos would be fun :)

IIRC Hallucinate only works on its own caster (although it'd give you a nice quick getaway).

13 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Just flight the Humakti.

Not sure which resistance roll would be better, POW v POW, or vs STR...

1 RP versus 2 or 3 RP depending on the murderbot's SIZ. But yeah, POW v STR is still... iffy, if they've got a Strength spell up. Probably worse, although failure doesn't hurt as badly.

Overall I feel like the best answer is still trying to just overwhelm the murderbot with quantity and variety of attacks. Spirit Combat while an air elemental tosses him up in the sky and archers fill him with arrows. Toss in some Lightning or a Thunderbolt for good measure, and don't let him get within MOV of anyone you want to see tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crel said:

IIRC Hallucinate only works on its own caster (although it'd give you a nice quick getaway).

1 RP versus 2 or 3 RP depending on the murderbot's SIZ. But yeah, POW v STR is still... iffy, if they've got a Strength spell up. Probably worse, although failure doesn't hurt as badly.

Overall I feel like the best answer is still trying to just overwhelm the murderbot with quantity and variety of attacks. Spirit Combat while an air elemental tosses him up in the sky and archers fill him with arrows. Toss in some Lightning or a Thunderbolt for good measure, and don't let him get within MOV of anyone you want to see tomorrow.

With any other RQ version, I would say a swarm of trollkins with slings and short spears. With the new rule of multiple parries and the opposed rolls rule, I would say swarmS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I agree 1000% because of one thing in Glorantha that terrifies me above all others... ACID!

In our RQ2/RQ3 campaigns, we had GMs who threw acid around like confetti, ruining out nice iron armour. We loved it when the throw, spit or projectile vomit scored a critical as it missed the armour completely! Result!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don't see it anywhere in the rules that a spirit or ghost has something that can be hit even with their Visibility on, and why should Truesword change that?. Spirits don't have a special vulnerability to iron, they just get slowed in their magic exchange when exposed to the unenchanted stuff.

Not sure about Sever Spirit either. The spirit has no body to be severed from.

?

@HreshtIronBorne just quoted the whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Crel said:

But it's definitely bad form to point and laugh. Definitely bad form.

Bad Crel, quit pointing and laughing at the poor confused Storm Bull...

I mean, what else could a Storm Bull be but confused under the circumstances. Up to a few seconds ago he was minding his own business, frothing at the mouth—you know—cult business, and now finds himself, annoyingly, at peace? And some runt of an Ernaldan Priestess is pointing and laughing? Very confusing, says our hero.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Bad Crel, quit pointing and laughing at the poor confused Storm Bull...

I mean, what else could a Storm Bull be but confused under the circumstances. Up to a few seconds ago he was minding his own business, frothing at the mouth—you know—cult business, and now finds himself, annoyingly, at peace? And some runt of an Ernaldan Priestess is pointing and laughing? Very confusing, says our hero.

Oh,  our Humakti is in Stormbull as well?? (actually, this is significant, because the Morale spell won't be influenced by Berserk, and Morale doesn't have the negative parry/dodge. Granted, frothing at the mouth is much better imagery :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crel said:

IIRC Hallucinate only works on its own caster

Hence the "minklinked"... (debateable whether only the caster is aware that it's an illusion, or whether all in mindlink would know....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Oh,  our Humakti is in Stormbull as well?? (actually, this is significant, because the Morale spell won't be influenced by Berserk, and Morale doesn't have the negative parry/dodge. Granted, frothing at the mouth is much better imagery :D )

The caper nay woulda worked on a Humakti, ye ken. (although a frothing at the mouth Humakti should be easily achievable, insult his sword)

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The caper nay woulda worked on a Humakti, ye ken. (although a frothing at the mouth should be easily achievable, insult his sword)

Nay - ah nay ken. Wae don ye tell a man wae the wee kaper nay wouldna worked on ye wee Humakti... ba will work on ye wee Bully?

 

Edit - should be 'nae', not 'nay'... :(

Edited by Shiningbrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Nay - ah nay ken. Wae don ye tell a man wae the wee kaper nay wouldna worked on ye wee Humakti... ba will work on ye wee Bully?

pronounced Pah vis (with an x)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going to jump back to the Bless Pregnancy part of the thread, and say that this is one example where, although it may be egregious munchkinnery, it may be an example of the sort of egregious munchinkerry that Gloranthan occasionally do. And one example is likely the Eel-Ariash, who probably have done this as one of the many thing they have done as part of their super hero breeding program. And that’s how you get Jar-Eel, who probably started with many characteristics at near human maximum at birth. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davecake said:

Just going to jump back to the Bless Pregnancy part of the thread, and say that this is one example where, although it may be egregious munchkinnery, it may be an example of the sort of egregious munchinkerry that Gloranthan occasionally do. And one example is likely the Eel-Ariash, who probably have done this as one of the many thing they have done as part of their super hero breeding program. And that’s how you get Jar-Eel, who probably started with many characteristics at near human maximum at birth. 

But then Jar-eel will probably have gifts that raised those maxima, too, or give her an effective multiplier to some of those characteristics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...