Egregious munchkinnery!

PhilHibbs

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

We always played that a spell is a spell is a spell, regardless of the source. So, Orlanthi Extension worked on Humakti Truesword and Shield 1 from Orlanth and Shield 2 on Humakt stacked to Shield 3. 

What if the spell is from an enemy cult?

Your Glorantha is different to mine, because I have the deity supplying a bit of their power for a Rune spell, and so there's no way they'd mix and match their powers or energy , with the possible exception of associated deities (as, being in the same pantheon, they already share some of those energies)

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Your Glorantha is different to mine, because I have the deity supplying a bit of their power for a Rune spell, and so there's no way they'd mix and match their powers or energy , with the possible exception of associated deities (as, being in the same pantheon, they already share some of those energies)

soltakss plays differently than many of us, I bet he is the reason for the expression YGMV...

I admire him for that!

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

12 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:
14 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

soltakss plays differently than many of us, I bet he is the reason for the expression YGMV...

Our RQ2 group had Orlanthi, Humakti, Yelmalians, a Yelornan, Storm Bulls, Zorak Zorani, an Aranea Troll and odds and sods. When we used Spell Trading, we would trade for spells, sometimes the Issaries cultists would trade traded spells, so it became almost impossible to work out which point of Shield came from which cult. The PCs sometimes used Mindlink to get access to each other's spells, so a Humakti could use his own Shield 2 and an Orlanthi's Shield 2 to make Shield 4. They decided very early on, before I joined the group, that, mostly, a spell was a spell was a spell, no matter the origin. The only differences that I can remember were Divine Intervention and Divination, as they had to be specific to the cult, so you couldn't use Divine Intervention 4 from Humakt with Divine Intervention 3 from Orlanth, or stack Divination from different cults. In RQ3 terms, Sanctify would be another case that makes an area sanctified to a particular cult.

Don't forget that, in RQ2, Runemagic just went off, without a roll. It wasn't connected with a Rune or a Skill, so you didn't have questions about casting Humakti Runemagic with an Orlanth skill or Rune.

Taking this approach also means that Thatanari and Vivamorti spell-stealing magic just works, without having to worry about where the spell comes from. It also means that Truestone works, otherwise you'd have to think "OK, this Truestone came from an Orlanthi, so only Orlanthi can use it" or "I need to go to an Orlanth temple to replenish the Shield 3 spell, but I am a Lunar". If you treat it as a spell is a spell is a spell, it doesn't matter where the spell originated.

The same with Spell matrices, if a Chalana Arroy cultist makes a Heal Body Matrix, does that mean that only Chalana Arroy cultists can use it? I don;t think that is the case. Does it need to be replenished at a Chalara Arroy Temple/Shrine? Possible, but I'd say that any Lightbringer temple would have a Chalana Arroy shrine so would work. Could another cult replenish a Chalana Arroy matrix if they granted Heal Body? I'd probably say yes, as a spell is a spell is a spell.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Our RQ2 group had Orlanthi, Humakti, Yelmalians, a Yelornan, Storm Bulls, Zorak Zorani, an Aranea Troll and odds and sods. When we used Spell Trading, we would trade for spells, sometimes the Issaries cultists would trade traded spells, so it became almost impossible to work out which point of Shield came from which cult. The PCs sometimes used Mindlink to get access to each other's spells, so a Humakti could use his own Shield 2 and an Orlanthi's Shield 2 to make Shield 4. They decided very early on, before I joined the group, that, mostly, a spell was a spell was a spell, no matter the origin. The only differences that I can remember were Divine Intervention and Divination, as they had to be specific to the cult, so you couldn't use Divine Intervention 4 from Humakt with Divine Intervention 3 from Orlanth, or stack Divination from different cults. In RQ3 terms, Sanctify would be another case that makes an area sanctified to a particular cult.

See, I told you he plays differently. He often makes sense :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this was specifically mentioned in the previous 19 pages, but bind yourself a low POW disease spirit (6 or so) so that it'll have a really low Spirit Combat skill, defeat it for the 1D3 POW (as per previous).... Then, Restore Health on its lost POW.

This saves you all the trouble of the random summons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Not sure if this was specifically mentioned in the previous 19 pages, but bind yourself a low POW disease spirit (6 or so) so that it'll have a really low Spirit Combat skill, defeat it for the 1D3 POW (as per previous).... Then, Restore Health on its lost POW.

This saves you all the trouble of the random summons.

Yes, this one is really egregious.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, Crel said:

On p.272, a Divine Intervention can be rolled to increase a characteristic by one point, up to species maximum. Rune Lords roll 1D10 for DI (p.280), and it's implied that they lose Rune points first, just like a priest. Likewise, I take it as implied that a RL's RP spent on DI comes back normally just as it does for a priest (on p.278).

Hope that helps.

This is impressively powerful and somewhat broken in a sufficiently long campaign. However, since there's a "mythic content" restriction on DI, I would not allow DI to Orlanth for extra intelligence. 🙂 Other stats yes, INT no. Other gods might have different such restrictions.

• Like 1

The "Tame Bull" rune spell is super powerful against Storm Bull cultists. One single POW vs POW roll with a 1p spell, and then you can then take them out of the fight for 15 minutes, castrate them without resistance, and hitch them to your plow, which should seriously cut down on their combat efficiency. And it's even ranged. (Add Extension for prolonged fun.)

Edited by Akhôrahil

46 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This is impressively powerful and somewhat broken in a sufficiently long campaign. However, since there's a "mythic content" restriction on DI, I would not allow DI to Orlanth for extra intelligence. 🙂 Other stats yes, INT no. Other gods might have different such restrictions.

Why no INT?

On 5/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, Crel said:

Well, my players haven't reached this point yet, not the normal hit for 30+. And there's no strengthening enchantments in RQG (yet), nor have they gotten to doing enchantments in general. But I doubt such enchantments could keep up with the above-described Humakti.

IIRC, the generally best AP you could get should be something like: Large Shield (16) + iron plate armor (9) + Protection (let's say a RL with 21 CHA, so Protection 21 would be possible, albeit unlikely in an actual game) + Shield (CHA 21=RP, x2=42AP) = 67AP. I don't know of any other published modifiers which would stack--and it should be noted that this combination both requires finding a crazy big Protection, and reaching maximum human RP and spending all of that on a 15 minute spell. So entirely infeasible for actual play, whereas Hresht's examples are from actual play.

Maybe a solution would be to introduce a Rune spell which adjusts the dodge matrix--successes can dodge specials, etc.--or a "Trueshield" spell to double a shield's AP. I guess Trueshield for 1, or Earth Shield for 3?

21-point Woad from Bless Woad should be better than almost any armor. Slap Protection 21 on top of it, because of course you prepared your Woad beforehand in an earlier season.

(Speaking of, a 21-point Thunderstone attack is a nice opening move in a fight.)

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

bind yourself a low POW disease spirit (6 or so) so that it'll have a really low Spirit Combat skill

Per Bestiary p. 169, a disease spirit always has Spirit Combat 75%, and a minimum POW of 9 (rolled POW stat of 3D6+6).

That being said, casting Restore Health on a disease spirit is indeed a fine piece of Munchkinnery.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

"A deity cannot do other than what it did during the God Time." (p. 272)

Does Orlanth strike you as the kind of god who goes around making people smarter?

Frankly, none seems to makes people smarter, but this is not the role of a god.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

"A deity cannot do other than what it did during the God Time." (p. 272)

Does Orlanth strike you as the kind of god who goes around making people smarter?

Sorry about this, but Orlanth certainly went around and made people smart. In fact, he was notorious for it, as were his brothers. Yelm even disintegrated from it.

But yes, stats are tied to runes, and only a deity with some mastery over that rune should have the means to tinker with it. But then Orlanth managed to steal runic powers from all runic tribes that wouldn't give them up peacefully, including fire.

Orlanth did manage to civilize the Storm Tribe to a great extent. He managed to listen to his wife. Give him some minimal credit, there.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Oh yeah! and usually with a little assistance from his good buddy Eurmal. 

"Gather roun' ankle biters, grandpa has another whopper for ya, just doncha tell gramma."

There was the time Orlanth had a head ache and Eurmal convinced him it was evil fire spirits from the sky that had got into his head  and he would have to fight them, and the best way to do that was to bang his head against an oak tree (sacred to the missus doncha know) unttl all the little fire spirits had left. He would know he had been victorious when his head was surrounded by little stars. Well, mighty Orlanth kept up at all day and al night and all the next day and night. Half way through the next day (or was it night) he would have quit but his good buddy Euremal would not let him! Well, finally, Orlanth figgered there were enough stars about his head and sat down with a big harrumph. 

"Well, that smarts," exclaimed the god as do we "an Orlanth All" still do in similar straights.

"Hey that one sucked, gramps!"

"Aw go suck a walktapus ya little sh<BEEP>ts, See yer already too smart fer yer dam britches!"

"GRAMMA!"

Edited by Bill the barbarian

12 hours ago, Crel said:

Per Bestiary p. 169, a disease spirit always has Spirit Combat 75%, and a minimum POW of 9 (rolled POW stat of 3D6+6).

That being said, casting Restore Health on a disease spirit is indeed a fine piece of Munchkinnery.

Oh... I didn't check... The low POW can.be accounted for by previous Taps etc :D

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

But yes, stats are tied to runes, and only a deity with some mastery over that rune should have the means to tinker with it. But then Orlanth managed to steal runic powers from all runic tribes that wouldn't give them up peacefully, including fire.

I would think the most likely candidate for increasing INT from the Lightbringers would be LM... But no Fire there, only Truth.

And if LM isn't one to want smarter devotees, I don't know who would!

• 2 weeks later...

So I know we keep coming back to the POW-draining disease spirits cheese, buuuutt...

It just occured to me that in the Bestiary they have only POW, no INT or CHA. So that means a Binding Enchantment for one only costs one POW, right? Makes it just that much more efficient.

I don't think that was brought up before?

Also means Mallia Shamans have some serious economic advantage when it comes to the "how many spirits can I get together at once" game.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

2 hours ago, Crel said:

So I know we keep coming back to the POW-draining disease spirits cheese, buuuutt...

It just occured to me that in the Bestiary they have only POW, no INT or CHA. So that means a Binding Enchantment for one only costs one POW, right? Makes it just that much more efficient.

I don't think that was brought up before?

Also means Mallia Shamans have some serious economic advantage when it comes to the "how many spirits can I get together at once" game.

Honestly, why bind when you can just put them in a low POW storage crystal? I'm not going to waste my perfectly good POW just for that! I'm waaaayyyy too much of a munchkin!

15 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Honestly, why bind when you can just put them in a low POW storage crystal? I'm not going to waste my perfectly good POW just for that! I'm waaaayyyy too much of a munchkin!

Why waste my POW crystal--which can hold anything!--instead of the low, low cost of one POW?

Good points both directions though.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this isn't very egregious, but even so...

If you have a lot of downtime for training but can't afford the exorbitant training prices, have one member of the party teach the others for a season (and any bystanders you can pull in for some extra cash), and rotate through the PCs until everyone has taken a turn. Far more efficient than Research.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2