Job

HQG takes the back seat to RQG

9 hours ago, Steve said:

ss is too modest to promote his own site, but I'll gladly do it for him

Oh yeah, thanks, forgot about that one!

Edited by soltakss
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, Rick Meints said:

Then why make the comparison? I feel this is comparing Apples and Oranges. Comparing the core rulebook of RQG, or the Bestiary, or the GM screen pack to a campaign pack like Sartar: KoH or Pavis: GtA when they have very different purposes seems odd. I could see comparing the RGQ core book with the HQG core book, but a rule book and a campaign book have very different content goals. It would be like saying the Argan Argar Atlas fails because it doesn't have enough rules content in it, or spells in it as opposed to the rulebook. The same could be said with comparing the Guide to Glorantha with Snakepipe Hollow and saying the Guide fails because it doesn't have enough scenario material it with stats. I can see why you like the HQ scenario books a lot, and am not trying to argue over whether you prefer them, but saying the RQG core rulebook pales in comparison to them is a very different thing.

I wasn’t ever attempting to compare apples to apples. I’m comparing the HeroQuest line, which is seemingly being sidelined and de-prioritized, with the new RuneQuest: Glorantha line, which is cannibalizing the resources and materials that might have gone into new HQ products.

HeroQuest releases have always been slow, but as focus has shifted to RuneQuest it is becoming even slower. Because we’ve gotten products like RQG, the Bestiary, and the GM Screen, other HeroQuest materials have been delayed or cancelled. Further, projects planned for HeroQuest are being diverted and repurposed for RuneQuest.

This is why there is a comparison. Because we’re going to get a 1625 version of Whitewall for RuneQuest, we’ll never see the planned version of Whitewall for 1618 HeroQuest. Further, before we get richly detailed sourcebooks, we’re getting general purpose RuneQuest products. Even the general view in RQG fails to match the standards of HeroQuest. Compare the details of the cults of Ernalda and Orlanth in HeroQuest Glorantha with the same cults in RQG. It isn’t even close. These products lack and focus and depth of the HeroQuest products that we were receiving and likely mean the repurposed content for RuneQuest will lack the depth that we would have gotten for HeroQuest. Products we were ready to receive for the HeroQuest line are being delayed to make room for much more generalist products to be produced for RuneQuest.

I could go deep into the details that are included in the sources, but I’d rather move this back toward the positive affirmation of the HeroQuest product line it was intended to be initially. The material for HeroQuest has been excellent and provides all the basis I need for a game set in Glorantha, even if we’re using the RuneQuest system. There’s a streamlining of RuneQuest and a regressive retcon in favor of RQ2 that I find deeply regrettable as the excellent material developed for Hero Wars and HeroQuest was much stronger and more culturally and mythologically complex and satisfying.

• Thanks 1

I'm hoping that we will continue to get product into your hands, so that you can continue to use HQG for all your Glorantha gaming. Thanks @daskindt for your passion for what we have done with the line so far. I hope to continue in that vein, and with luck grow our numbers so that we can move faster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, Lemurion said:

Personally, and much as I am coming to like HeroQuest, I can completely see why Chaosium is focusing on RQG. 

Ah, but Ian, in the 20 or so years that other game systems have been available for Glorantha, I have only played RQ G, and KoDP. Still. page for page, I wonder if I have more HQ than RQ... G2G is tipping the scales.... but... I had to think about it... but RQ still wins 

Nonetheless, if you keep putting out the fine Glorantha products I have seen for HQ I will keep buying them, whether or not I ever play them as originally intended.

Cheers

On 5/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, daskindt said:

Compare the details of the cults of Ernalda and Orlanth in HeroQuest Glorantha with the same cults in RQG. It isn’t even close.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, daskindt said:

These products lack and focus and depth of the HeroQuest products that we were receiving and likely mean the repurposed content for RuneQuest will lack the depth that we would have gotten for HeroQuest.

The RQG Gods of Glorantha will be full of glorious depth on these and many many other cults. The project just seems to have rather gotten out of hand. But when it arrives, it will be pretty great. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 7:47 AM, daskindt said:

There’s a streamlining of RuneQuest and a regressive retcon in favor of RQ2 that I find deeply regrettable as the excellent material developed for Hero Wars and HeroQuest was much stronger and more culturally and mythologically complex and satisfying.

I agree with this and have pretty much lost interest in playing in Glorantha now. HQ for sure I will still play, but I just cant get motivated with the new Runequest. 

That said I've moved on and found/rediscovered other games and am having a blast.