Logician - seriously OP???

Shiningbrow

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's some pretty good armour that can laugh off 5D6 damage. Sure, you might have 10 points of armour, and Protection 6, giving you a 50-50 chance of laughing it off, but  how many of your army have that?

And your shield. If its a beam there's a chance it will hit that. 

But even if you don't, it might just take out a target's limb, which isn't a career ending injury, depending on which one it is. Sure, it sucks and you drop your weapon or shielld, but you can still heal yourself afterward. 

4 hours ago, Kloster said:

No, and I don't think you need to remain for 5 full minutes within radius to be affected. The way I read it, If you are in the radius, even for a moment, within that 5 minutes, you take the damage. I see it like falling damage (but location is random): automatic and taken once if you are concerned.

Few characters (Player or not) have an armor that can protect enough to laugh vs 4D6, not speaking of 5D6, even if counting spells. Mine certainly does not: You need 14 Armor Points (or 17 for 5D6) to shrug off the attack. During a battle, less than 1% of the troops will have 17 AP.

My players in this week's session managed to completely block a 5d6 attack from a tusker with their sword and 3 points of armor. It rolled 15 damage and they stopped it fully. In a high level campaign I am running, one player has 10 armor before prot and shield spells, which would probably be in force against a sorcerer chanting for two rounds....

Interpreting the spell as it is described, I see little reason why a shield couldn't be deployed to help protect you. Especially if it is read to do damage every round you are in the area. Basically just holding it over your head while you run...

20 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

My players in this week's session managed to completely block a 5d6 attack from a tusker with their sword and 3 points of armor. It rolled 15 damage and they stopped it fully. In a high level campaign I am running, one player has 10 armor before prot and shield spells, which would probably be in force against a sorcerer chanting for two rounds....

10 AP + spells is very high, but I agree with you, defensive spells have a good chance to be active if they perceive someone casting aggressive spells that they can not 'remove' before the end of the casting.

23 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Interpreting the spell as it is described, I see little reason why a shield couldn't be deployed to help protect you. Especially if it is read to do damage every round you are in the area. Basically just holding it over your head while you run...

I would rule that the shield protect the same way it protects vs missile: Select 1, 2 or 3 contiguous locations (depending on size), roll the location hit and pray it will be on one of the protected.

17 hours ago, Kloster said:

10 AP + spells is very high, but I agree with you, defensive spells have a good chance to be active if they perceive someone casting aggressive spells that they can not 'remove' before the end of the casting.

While it's high for RQ, it's also very achievable. For that matter, you can just buy the unenchanted iron (700L per ENC), and then have it enchanted. A cuirass will then be 9 pts. Plus 1pt leathers underneath...

Failing having the enchanted iron, the bronze cuirass is 6 pts, plus the 1pt leather = 7pts... so, not that amazing to get 3 more.

19 hours ago, jps said:

<snip> Therefore the strength of my spell with only 15 Free INT would considerably be diminished.

Knowledge of Runes and Techniques don't use up Free INT, and neither is MP cost of a spell included. So, if you had no spells in memory, you'd still have 15 points of manipulations available. The MP cost will be huge though 😛