[RQG] Rules for Rabble and Extras?

Prinz Slasar

Something I would like to have for RQG are rules for Rabble and Extras, but I wonder if they appropiate to the RQG mindset.

One unique feature of RQG are the "Consequences of Violence" (RQG p. 7), and the  Bestiary comes up with the premise: "In RUNEQUEST, few creatures are mere cannon fodder— mobs of weaker monsters that can be cut down safely in
large numbers. Instead, every creature is an individual" (RQG:Bestiary p.4).

So, it seems that rules for Rabble/Extras contradict the guiding principles of RQG.

What's your opinion (besides MGF) concerning this topic? I'm keen interested to read some arguments based on the RQG mindset.

Edited by prinz.slasar

RQ generally holds to the idea that even the meanest stickpicker is capable of becoming significant, and that the lowliest trollkin can get lucky and impale a Wind Lord.

Rabble/Extras are for games designed around cinematic action and where PCs are set on pedastals, removed from the concerns of normal men. RQ does not fall into that category IMO (though it's possible to play HQ that way, certainly).

Edited by Russ Massey
spelling
  • Like 1

For me, Rabble act as normal NPCs, with Hit Locations, attack chances and so on.

However, they break very easily. If you hit one of the Rabble and take a limb out of action, it takes them out of combat. If you take half of them out of the combat, the rest will turn and run. If you use scary magic then they are likely to turn and run. If you kill some and demand the surrender of the rest then they are likely to do so, especially if you can make an Intimidate, Fast Talk or Orate roll.

Adventuring parties generally don't come under Rabble, neither do soldiers, thanes or nomad warriors. Bands of trollkin might, groups of broo probably don't. It all depends on what you class as Rabble.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

However, they break very easily. If you hit one of the Rabble and take a limb out of action, it takes them out of combat. If you take half of them out of the combat, the rest will turn and run. If you use scary magic then they are likely to turn and run.

In hindsight, I've basically taken this attitude in my RQG game and I feel it works well. Adventurers kill the dark troll leader of a group of bandits, and most of the trollkin scrubs flee. That sort of thing.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Russ Massey said:

Rabble/Extras are for games designed around cinematic action and where PCs are set on pedastals, removed from the concerns of normal men. RQ does not fall into that categoty IMO (though it's possible to play HQ that way, certainly).

OK, but MGF trumps this.

I thoroughly agree with Soltakks in that Rabble in RQG are just low-morale thugs. This allows your characters to face bigger odds if they are brave enough. I would say only heroes or NPC with very good reasons to keep fighting after being injured will fight to the bitter end. Even if they end up surrendering. Most beings just flee when the odds are against them, including nomad warriors, broo, and city soldiers, if they see they can come back at you in the future. Even a very competent city soldier (90% skill) will flee after suffering a minor wound if he's the only defender of a gate, he's outnumbered and/or he's not being paid enough. There are multiple factors and all largely depend on the GM decision.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

3 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

Something I would like to have for RQG are rules for Rabble and Extras, but I wonder if they appropiate to the RQG mindset.

As you seem to suspect, the very idea is anathema to the premise of RQ.  RQ is founded on the premise that everything is mechanically equal.

9 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

What's your opinion (besides MGF) concerning this topic? I'm keen interested to read some arguments based on the RQG mindset.

If it's not overly important, I'd just use the Battle skill to represent the "mass combat" where the foes are abstracted at 5% (or less).