Sign in to follow this  
PhilHibbs

Temple Defenses

What spells could temple defenses (p284, 288) be used for? A temple to Chalana Arroy, for example, I imagine would pretty much only use Harmony to prevent fighting. Babeester Gor gets Shield and Earth Shield, I suppose the wyter could cast that on defenders. Eiritha's wyter could summon Earth Elementals. Issaries, though? Lhankor Mhy? What spells do you think the temple wyter would muster in its defence?

I suppose a fallback for just about any deity would be to throw Heal Wound spells at the defenders.

Then there's associate cults that have shrines in a temple, so the wyter may have access to associate cult spells, but should that be only the spells that the associate grants to the main cult?

Edited by PhilHibbs

21 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

A temple to Chalana Arroy, for example, I imagine would pretty much only use Harmony to prevent fighting.

Sleep!

21 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Babeester Gor gets Shield and Earth Shield, I suppose the wyter could cast that on defenders.

Don't forget activating the Snake Daughters for the Earth temples.

23 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

What spells could temple defenses (p284, 288) be used for?

Should be plenty of guardian spirits of various types to draw upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Onion layers of Warding 4s

And of course all the fun spirits of reprisal (for those that have them) have to be waiting around somewhere and see occasional use in protecting the temples. Impests to harass those invading Orlanth temples; spirits of heaviness to slow down those in Earth temples, or to cling like mud or stone to their feet; etc.

32 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

And of course all the fun spirits of reprisal (for those that have them) have to be waiting around somewhere and see occasional use in protecting the temples. Impests to harass those invading Orlanth temples;

I would have expected wind fists rather than causing any intruders to scratch idly at their genitals. At least that's the reaction to them at Biturian's episode at Pairing Stone.

Issaries probably uses Create Market out the wazoo. As for Lhankor Mhy, some of his less magically conservative temples I could see making use of nasty sorceries. In areas near the Lunar Empire I wouldn't be surprised if they took a few notes from Irripi Ontor.

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

I would have expected wind fists rather than causing any intruders to scratch idly at their genitals.

Get them distracted first, then give them the 1-2 punch.

You might be interested in these, which are some temple guardians for solar, earth and trickster cults that I created based upon Assyrian spirits of protection.

Warding is always good, unless it's a Chalana Arroy Temple.

What I would do is to give the Temple a Rune Pool and allow it to spend them casting any Runespell available to the cult. That way, the Temple Guardian can cast whatever spells it needs.

Spells such as Warding can be cast by Priests in service of the Temple in addition to the Temple-Generated spells.

An Issaries Temple will have a Great Market spell, across the whole Temple, rather than on the market outside the temple. 

48 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Warding is always good, unless it's a Chalana Arroy Temple.

What I would do is to give the Temple a Rune Pool and allow it to spend them casting any Runespell available to the cult. That way, the Temple Guardian can cast whatever spells it needs.

Clearly great minds think alike.

p284:

• Temple Defense: The deity worshiped defends its
    home. A temple can defend itself with magic, even
    without the presence of priests or worshipers, with
    guardian spirits called wyters, or other means of
    magical defense.

p288:

Beyond the temple wyter, every 100 initiates (but not Lay
Members) worshiping at a temple provide 1 Rune point
allotted for temple defense. These Rune points are regained
daily, and if triggered one day, are reactivated 24 hours later.

51 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I should read the rules again and more carefully. 

I should have quoted the relevant section at the start of the thread.;)

12 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Issaries probably uses Create Market out the wazoo. As for Lhankor Mhy, some of his less magically conservative temples I could see making use of nasty sorceries.

Hm. Sorcery for temple defenses... interesting. Wyters have MP, so I guess there's no reason why they can't use that to cast sorcery spells, so I guess LM wyters should get sorcery techniques and spell percentages. That would need a little more stat preparation than straight Rune Point wyters. Regular wyters get some Rune ratings to cast their spells with in the writeups that we've seen.

*Edit* Although, the Bestiary says this on page 174:

A wyter spends points of its characteristic
POW instead of Rune points when casting Rune spells with
a chance of success equal to its CHAx5.

So... they don't really need those Rune ratings or Rune Point pool that, for example, the Black Spear clan wyter has on page 14 of the Gamemaster Adventures book.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Temple wyters and associate cults

Should a temple just have one wyter that runs the defenses for the whole temple, including access to spells that the associate provides at that temple?

Or, should each associate cult that has a shrine in the temple have its own wyter, and should that wyter have access to the full gamut of the cult's spells on top of the one spell that the shrine teaches?

I think the latter is probably better, because that way the wyter can have high ratings in the cult's runes and so a good chance of casting, but a smaller Rune Point pool. Or, you give the all-in-one wyter separate Rune Point pools for the associate cults that it encompasses.

3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Should a temple just have one wyter that runs the defenses for the whole temple, including access to spells that the associate provides at that temple?

I think that the Temple Wyter should have access to all spells available, including Associate Cult Spells.

3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Or, should each associate cult that has a shrine in the temple have its own wyter, and should that wyter have access to the full gamut of the cult's spells on top of the one spell that the shrine teaches?

Both. Each Shrine in the Temple should have its own Wyter, which has access to a Rune Pool depending on the strength of the worship.

So, a shrine to Chalana Arroy in an Orlanth Temple should have its own Wyter that operates independently. It won't be very strong, as Orlanthi are not normally members of the Chalana Arroy cult, so might just count as a Shrine with 1 Rune Point.

58 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think the latter is probably better, because that way the wyter can have high ratings in the cult's runes and so a good chance of casting, but a smaller Rune Point pool. Or, you give the all-in-one wyter separate Rune Point pools for the associate cults that it encompasses.

I'd have each Shrine as having its own Wyter that defends that Shrine, with the main temple Wyter defending everyone, including the Shrines.

Some Temples will have larger Shrines that provide more Rune Points. So, a Shrine to Storm Bull in an Orlanth Adventurous Temple near a Chaos Nest, such as in Bull Pen, might itself count as a Minor Temple and may well itself contain Shrines to Storm Bull Heroes or SubCults.

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Hm. Sorcery for temple defenses... interesting. Wyters have MP, so I guess there's no reason why they can't use that to cast sorcery spells, so I guess LM wyters should get sorcery techniques and spell percentages. That would need a little more stat preparation than straight Rune Point wyters. Regular wyters get some Rune ratings to cast their spells with in the writeups that we've seen.

Well do they even have to be cast by the Wyter? I don't know too well how sorcery works in RQG, but I think in previous editions at least you could make sorcerous enchantments to defend against intruders. "When a person passes X, check to see if they belong to Y. If not, cast Finger of Flame 10."

6 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Well do they even have to be cast by the Wyter? I don't know too well how sorcery works in RQG, but I think in previous editions at least you could make sorcerous enchantments to defend against intruders. "When a person passes X, check to see if they belong to Y. If not, cast Finger of Flame 10."

There's no such thing - so far - in RQG for sorcery, only for spirit and rune.