"Quick" Sorcery Question

Crel

How do y'all think we should calculate sorcery spell percentages for starting adventurers? My initial instinct was that the actual percentages were equal to the percentiles gained from Philosopher and/or starting membership in Lhankor Mhy. However, as I've been re-reading some of the material I'm second-guessing that because on p. 390 it notes that new spells are learned at 1D6+Mag Mod after the requisite training or research.

So for example, the Philosopher occupation notes they start with three spells, and has (Sorcery spell) +10% twice and +20% once in the Occupational Skills on p.70. I'm trying to see if this would really be 1D6+Mag Mod+10, or just a flat 10% (or 20%) start.

The further correlation of this, I think, is that if those Occupational Skill percentiles don't need to be assigned to the spells gained from Philosopher, you might be able to double-dip spell +%s from LM and Phi to get a better starting percentage. But, the more munchkinny applications can end up on that thread (I just didn't want to clog that thread up with another interpretive debate).

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

31 minutes ago, Crel said:

How do y'all think we should calculate sorcery spell percentages for starting adventurers? My initial instinct was that the actual percentages were equal to the percentiles gained from Philosopher and/or starting membership in Lhankor Mhy. However, as I've been re-reading some of the material I'm second-guessing that because on p. 390 it notes that new spells are learned at 1D6+Mag Mod after the requisite training or research.

Sorala does not have the extra 1D6% so I'd take that as indicating no.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crel said:

So for example, the Philosopher occupation notes they start with three spells, and has (Sorcery spell) +10% twice and +20% once in the Occupational Skills on p.70. I'm trying to see if this would really be 1D6+Mag Mod+10, or just a flat 10% (or 20%) start.

For me (and my GM), 1D6+ Mag Mod+10. You start at 1D6%, and philosopher adds you 20 on 1 spell and 10 on 2 others. And you add the modifiers of your magic school (Aeolianism, Lhankor Mhy, Lunar or Malkion).

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

Sorala does not have the extra 1D6% so I'd take that as indicating no.

I keep forgetting to check the pre-gens for comparison. Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

For me (and my GM), 1D6+ Mag Mod+10. You start at 1D6%, and philosopher adds you 20 on 1 spell and 10 on 2 others. And you add the modifiers of your magic school (Aeolianism, Lhankor Mhy, Lunar or Malkion).

Once you've generated that 1D6+Mod+X skill, do you then add your modifier when in play? The way I read it, the modifier is used in calculating your initial skill with the spell, and might double-dip.

What do you mean by modifiers of your school? I don't see anything listed in the book (p.388-9). Are you referring to older material?

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

1 hour ago, Crel said:

I keep forgetting to check the pre-gens for comparison. Thanks for the reminder.

Once you've generated that 1D6+Mod+X skill, do you then add your modifier when in play? The way I read it, the modifier is used in calculating your initial skill with the spell, and might double-dip.

What do you mean by modifiers of your school? I don't see anything listed in the book (p.388-9). Are you referring to older material?

Sorry, I've not checked before: There is nothing extra for spells in the various sorcery schools, only rune and techniques (I am using the current version, in my case downloaded when I purchased the slipcase).

Yes, for me, the Sorcery spell score is: 1D6%+Magic Category modifier (RQG p390)+What you add at creation (from profession)+experience (when later).

I'd use it as written: the skill is 1d6+magic skill modifier as a base. 

That's the skill %; so in play, the chance to succeed would be that PLUS the magic skill modifier.  Yes, you're double-dipping a bit on the magic modifier but it makes sense that someone innately better at something would start better at it than a complete schlub.

(And I would also put the profession bonuses atop that, not in replacement for that.)

You might ask if that's consistent, as weapon skills don't get a similar innate-ness bump when they're learned, but:

- you could add it, sure, or

- you could recognize that they DO get it: weapon skills already have a base skill level.  Personally, I prefer the idea that an ability score category bumps that for the same reasons it makes sense for spells.

52 minutes ago, styopa said:

I'd use it as written: the skill is 1d6+magic skill modifier as a base. 

That's kind of what I was leaning toward. Most of my confusion was because there's not really reference to a percentage for the occupational experience to get added atop, unlike the other skills.

Definitely do not add the 1D6 from learning a new spell. That is for learning new sorcery spells after character creation, as @jps just said.

You don't add a base 1D6-1 to your initial alchemy or navigation skill just because you would've started with that when initially trained.

The starting percentages from homeland/profession/cult in adventurer creation are what you get.