Broken Tower questions

Nevun

2 hours ago, BalazarLightson said:

@borbetomagnus If you go with custom PC's some good hooks for getting the PC interested could be having cousins in the original herding party, either as deceased or survivors. Any apprentice shaman's might get special interest from the remote Mountain Man, Earth Worshipers have an obvious in with Idrema, and the idea of restoring an earth temple could have some lure. If they repatriate the dead Greydogs, they might get some small thanks or favors from the Humakti who dwell with the Lismelder, they take funerary rights very seriously.

I'm new to the setting.  What kind of favors do you think the Graydogs would give to the players for returning the bodies?

7 hours ago, Erdrix said:

I'm new to the setting.  What kind of favors do you think the Graydogs would give to the players for returning the bodies?

As noted the really substantive rewards might be the intangible -- the Humakti who are impressed with them.

I'd make a point of having one of those very Humakti on hand at a soon-ish incident where the PC's honor is challenged... <slither of iron blade coming free> "I was there.  I witnessed his honor.  Were YOU there that day?  Do YOU bear witness against his word... and mine?"

Not every valuable reward spends at the inn...

Edited by g33k
F'ing autocorrect
  • Like 6

C'es ne pas un .sig

30 minutes ago, g33k said:

As noted the really substantive rewards might be the intangible -- the Humakti who are impressed with them.

I'd make a point of having one of those very Humakti on hand at a soon-ish incident where the PC's honor is challenged... <slither of iron blade coming free> "I was there.  I witnessed his honor.  We're YOU there that day?  Do YOU bear witness against his word, and mine?"

Not every valuable reward spends at the inn...

I like the honor idea, thank you.  

Edited by Erdrix

10 hours ago, Erdrix said:

What kind of favors do you think the Graydogs would give to the players for returning the bodies?

Let them pass through Greydog territory to go to or from Runegate, or the Upland Marsh. Vouch for them at some point in the future. 

Of course, that's assuming they don't accuse the Colymar of having killed the victims.

• Like 1

I have a Broken Tower question, too, and hope nobody objects to using this thread.

I am running the Broken Tower scenario in my Eleven Lights series, with player characters coming from the standard Red Cow clan. For that I relocated the tower to Wulfsland on the old Maboder territory. What are your suggestions how Jomes Wulf could react once they break him the news of Idrima's existence and her temple on his land?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

What are your suggestions how Jomes Wulf could react once they break him the news of Idrima's existence and her temple on his land?

1) First, probably worried that there is a connection to the Maboder.  Send folk to investigate.

2) See if Idrima can benefit the Lunars of Wulfsland, e.g. help fight the Telmori. Send folk to convince her to aid them (sacrifices needed, etc.)

3) See if Idrima can be wed into the Lunar pantheon.  Longer term plan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Hzark10 said:

Another question somewhat related.  How would you handle if the Assistant Shaman wanted to start a Spirit Cult with Idrema?  Would he have to wait until he was a full shaman?

I would guess the prospective shaman might want to gain some more power, defences and knowledge first. Whether this means becoming a shaman or not is for your table to decide I would think but... my two bolgs...

The force known as Idrema is not a friend or patron merely a goddess without all the power, and worshipers that go with the title. Worse, while no god thinks of its little playthings as more that servants, this one is not removed from, your presence by time. She can hurt you directly. Getting one's power and defences increased might help with surviving  the first attempts at worship. This one also seems to be damaged or perhaps was never totally sentient. SO finding out whether or not she has enough thought to be useful for worship might not be a bad idea, plus finding out what powers she might have had and can be quested for, as well as what she still has... as well as problems she could cause (beyond the obvious) and how she can be placated.

Speaking of placated, unless you are the nasty sort a trip to a library specializing in ancient lost relatives of Maran Gor to find another way to placate Idrema might be in order seeing as all she seems to want is blood and lots of it. That would be where I would start to build a spirit cult...

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

11 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Speaking of placated, unless you are the nasty sort a trip to a library specializing in ancient lost relatives of Maran Gor to find another way to placate Idrema might be in order seeing as all she seems to want is blood and lots of it. That would be where I would start to build a spirit cult...

If not a library, I suppose a quest for the spirits who not only knew Idrema back in the day but spirits with this knowledge required,  might work seeing as we are playing at least an assistant shaman. Again, you might gain shamanhood in the time it takes to gain this knowledge.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 5/9/2019 at 8:25 AM, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

I have a Broken Tower question, too, and hope nobody objects to using this thread.

I am running the Broken Tower scenario in my Eleven Lights series, with player characters coming from the standard Red Cow clan. For that I relocated the tower to Wulfsland on the old Maboder territory. What are your suggestions how Jomes Wulf could react once they break him the news of Idrima's existence and her temple on his land?

I’ve wondered about how/where to transplant the Broken Tower for the Eleven Lights campaign. I might steal your idea. Thanks!

20 hours ago, Hzark10 said:

How would you handle if the Assistant Shaman wanted to start a Spirit Cult with Idrema?  Would he have to wait until he was a full shaman?

No. I'm sure it would be of mutual benefit. Idrima helps her "priest" become a full shaman, while she helps extend worship of the cult of Idrima.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:35 AM, Hzark10 said:

Another question somewhat related.  How would you handle if the Assistant Shaman wanted to start a Spirit Cult with Idrema?  Would he have to wait until he was a full shaman?

I'd say that the Assistant Shaman could have a personal relationship with Idrema and get some magic for him/herself.

Creating a Spirit Cult might be a job for a full Shaman, though, so he might have to come back again.

However, in RQG, some Shamanic Powers are modular, so you can have one power and not another, so it is possible that an Assistant Shaman might have the power to start a Spirit Cult without being a full Shaman.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/22/2019 at 6:25 PM, Nevun said:

The players will need to "Herd" the cattle at some point. I can't see that any have any reasonable amount of herd ability. About 25% at the most. Is that an oversight? There's nothing in the erata that I can see. Give someone a 'bump' in skill maybe?

I just realised the answer to this... use the RQG version of Sorala - she has Logician, and Herd is a Knowledge skill. She could easily get her Herd to over 100% with a little bit of duration, even taking into account the reduced Free INT from spells (15 if she drops a spell or 2 from memory). She'd get to about 85 with a base of 15% plus 7 point Intensity and 8 points of Duration would be for 12 hours (all day).

(yes, I know the Sorala in the Adventurers book doesn't give her her sorcery from the main book.. but it's an option. I don't think Sorcery is that difficult to understand, even for newbies (at least, new to RQ, perhaps for new to RPGs)).

(Edit: Ok, MPs could be a problem... :()

(2nd Edit: Unless Vasana and/or Yanioth lend her their POW storage crystals... I believe there's nothing RAW that they can't..)

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 1